“Worst hotel ever stayed in”
Review of China Town Hotel

China Town Hotel
Ranked #30 of 32 Caye Caulker B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“Worst hotel ever stayed in”
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights on an Intrepid tour - felt like a jail cell, springs sticking out of bed. You can do better at another hotel!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Reviewed January 11, 2012

If you want to stay in a hotel that shares absolutely no chareteristics with the island then this is the place for you. Whoever thought a yellow block of flats would look good next to beach villas and chalets was a blind man. I felt jealous looking at people tanning themselves outside their hotels and villas and realised I had made a mistake by booking three nights up front at the backstreet china town hotel.

To be honest sleeping on the beach would have been more comfortable and a damn site cleaner. I think a cracked out alley in new York would have been too. The shower was rusty and smelly with barely any control in temperature and rock hard towels to scrape the sun burn off your back afterwards. The ac was about as affective as an old man wheezing on the back of your kneck whilst you sleep plus it went haywire in the night and constantly bleeped. Avoid this place as best you can and spend a little extra and stay somewhere that actually embraces the island life.

• Stayed January 2012

Travelers are raving about these Caye Caulker hotels

Reviewed January 11, 2012

I stayed at china town hotel for 3 nights and Believe me that was 3 days too long. The staff have no customer service and on arrival took our money up front and then had to be reminded to give us a room key as she started talking to her colleague, forgetting all about us. Once up to the room it was no better. The remote for the tv did not work and all the sheets and towels were stained. The top sheet was on the corner of the bed in a heap and not made. The whole stay was horrible. The kettle took ages to heat up, along with the shower. There are plenty of nicer places to stay on the island. I would not advise anyone to stay here, the price definitely does not compensate for the service and horrors of the room.

• Stayed January 2012
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 5, 2012

It's not fabulous. But it's fine if your looking for basic accommodation with comforts like air conditioning and tv. It was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed December 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2011

The basic problem here is a lack of care & attention - with a bit of love & an attempt to provide some service with a smile it could be a winner.
Here with a group using 6 rooms - everyone has complained about something. Our room was crazy small so upgraded for $20 US a night to very large room with 2 double beds.
I dont know how it compares in price to other places - many of which look very basic - but the air con is included ( but check that out first) it has wifi (erratically) - it is meant to have hot water, it has a kettles- allow 10 mins to boil.
Our beds are really firm - Thai style - we love them but many won't . One couple had to move cos beds had no springs & were crazy soft.
The restaurant looks like a place to avoid at all costs. One small example of the l
ack of interest was that when we arrived & wanted cold Red Stripes we settled for Light as woman said it was all they had. It was only later that I realised they own the supermarket next door - which has a connecting door - so our beer of choice was but a few paces away. It's not a big deal but it highlights a lack of care.
Sheets were nice & some of the towels too :)

Room Tip: Don't have a "common room"
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed September 25, 2011

The experience I had my first night was that the hotel maid stole my camera. When I brought it up to the woman at the front counter, she denied that this was even possible. I let this go thinking that this may have been an anomaly. Finally, when I checked out I needed to get help verifying my flight times and information. The woman at the counter tried telling me that they didn't make outgoing calls. Once I told her I've seen them make calls she then told me that since I checked out she wouldn't help me. Just another note, they had their Chinese flag flying at full mast above the Belize flag on the adjacent flagpole. To me this was a perfect example of how disrespectful and arrogant the people at this hotel were.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2011

We ended up getting taken to China Town hotel by a guy on the street who promised to get us a 'good deal' (silly, I know, but it was raining and we were so tired!)- it turned out to be pretty good value, and we had a room with aircon, a kettle, a TV, a clean ensuite, and the hotel had a nice pool and outdoors area. So it wasn't bad at all- but there are so many cute little places to stay in Caye Caulker- little beach huts and colourful buildings- that this really isnt the most exciting place you could stay. In our case, we met some really good friends by the pool and ended up spending lots of time drinking around the pool with them. But without that, I probably would have regretted staying there!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
#31 of 53 in San Pedro
Panchos Villas
Panchos Villas
#9 of 31 in Caye Caulker

Been to China Town Hotel? Share your experiences!