“"Loved it"”

Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
San Ignacio, Belize
“"Loved it"”
Reviewed January 28, 2011

My husband and I just showed up at the Caye Caulker Plaza Hotel with out having even heard of it before.The front desk (Felipe) was very nice and answered all my questions.We checked in to the first floor which is 55 USD per night and we loved everything about it.The king sized bed is super comfy, the shower, a/c unit and everything was awesome.The sink water did not taste salty which was a pleasant surprise.I had the best time ever and definitely plan to go back.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Finnish first
Oregon
Reviewed January 5, 2011

I fully enjoyed my stay here. The rooms were clean and the beds were fantastic. Even though it was downtown, it was still quiet in the hotel. The front desk staff were delightful and very helpful. The rooftop view was amazing as well. Even in peak season, we were able to get a great room for $80 a night. Totally reasonable for the island. We stayed in Room 303 which had a great view from the room as well.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed January 1, 2011

Great hotel in the center of Caye Caulker. It was exactly what we were looking for. Reasonably, priced, clean, quiet, comfortable rooms with A/C. Helpful front desk staff. Caye Caulker is pretty small, so this hotel is minutes walking from everything. Only down side is that it doesn't have its own beach area with hammocks and docks, like some other hotels.

I will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed April 27, 2010

Caye Caulker Plaza Hotel was recommended by some friends and we found it worthy of recommendation. The reception was pleasent and the room was clean and well maintained. We appreciated their willingness to help us find what we were looking for on the island and supplied Aloe Vera plants to sooth my sunburn. They even sent us the items we had left behind. I doubt if we have ever had that kind of hospitality before. A great big bouquet to the staff at Caye Caulker Plaza Hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Troy, Michigan
Reviewed March 26, 2010

Recently spent four nights at the Plaza Hotel with my three twenty-something kids. We had two rooms on the first floor, which were very clean with comfortable beds. I had trouble getting hot water in the shower, but I think that was user error. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was not offered while we were there. Not really sure why, but we had breakfast elsewhere on the island which was very good. There are only two drawbacks, 1) it’s not on the water, but nothing is far from the water on Caye Caulker; and 2) the water smelled awful, like sulfur, but I have a feeling that is something out of the hotel’s control. It got better as it ran. I had read a lot of horror stories about hotels on Caye Caulker, so this hotel was a pleasant surprise. I don’t need posh, but clean is very important to me and I would recommend this hotel to other travelers.

• Stayed March 2010
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 25, 2010

I was really nervous about this place as I'd only seen a couple of pictures online, but turned out to exceed my expectations. Conveniently located (keep walking straight from the water taxi station to the middle street)--the rooms were well-furnished, complete with a mini-fridge, and very clean. The shower head was nicer than at my own house! The balcony off our room offered a fun vantage point for people-watching at the busy intersection below (which was totally quiet after about 8 PM) and we were always comfortable with a fan, AC, and free in-room wifi.

Hard to say anything negative about a free breakfast, but in the spirit of full disclosure, the breakfast here--right down to the coffee--is impressively bad (and amusingly, although we asked for it at 8:30 three days in a row, it came at 0745, 0800 and 0900). It comes from the Chan's Fast Food next door, so I probably wouldn't recommend going there, either! Luckily, it's located right next door to a great--and cheap--bakery and down the street from the fantastic hidden-gem Sea Garden Cafe (freshly-made when you order--right down to the tortillas--salbutes and panades, fantastic lobster burritos, delicious smoothies--go there...do it!).

As most of the beaches in Caye Caulker are privately owned by the hotels abutting them, you have to hike it to the Split to get some beach space. We never really had a problem, though, finding a shady spot to camp out there. If you're going to stay inland, I highly recommend the Plaza for it's rooftop deck--360 degree views of the island, great people-watching spot, and a nice, breezy place to spend the afternoon if the beach at the Split is getting buggy or you're just feeling too lazy to hike back to the beach!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank babycobalt
California
Reviewed February 22, 2010

The Plaza on Caye Caulker was awesome! They did such a good job taking care of us. The hotel is affordable, but still very comfortable. The Island is small, so walking from one side to the other is easy and fun! The food on the Island is excellent; but the breakfast "included" is just fast food, and it isn't very good. We recommend the bakery that is literally right next door, it has some amazing bread!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
#21 of 54 in San Pedro
Rainbow Hotel
Rainbow Hotel
#9 of 19 in Caye Caulker

Been to Caye Caulker Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!