“Fantastic Value”
Review of Mara's Place

Mara's Place
Ranked #13 of 32 Caye Caulker B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Amazing value considering what you get - 45BZD and we had a huge room with two double beds, a private bathroom and two shady hammocks out the front just for us (room 1). OK it's not the best decorated place you could say and the bathroom is a little run down, but it's such a great location right by the split but still quiet, it's got it's own jetty with more hammocks and they sell beers at the front. What more could you want? We stayed at Yuma's before here which was a really pretty and lovely hostel, but that was about 60BZD for a tiny room with a shared bathroom, so that should show what good value this place is.

Room Tip: Room one has two little hammocks out the front just for you under a cover, perfect for when the sun...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 123sun123

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Maras was good value and a great location. The family who owns the propery has their residence on the same plot of land and I have to say they were not helpful or very welcoming.

I'm going back in December but won't stay again.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Can_Fam_Adv
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Super easy to find, Mara's has a number of 2 bed cabanas each with a private bath. Quiet and economical. Directly across from the only public swimming area on the Island. Book in advance for holidays and weekends!!

Please be aware that there is no A/C and the water is brackish(I bring an extra large bottle of water to rinse off with after a shower).

I have been staying here for 6 years and used to stay twice a year!

Room Tip: Choose the cabana right beside the road if you don't mind a little noise. The view is the best...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Shawn K
Reviewed March 30, 2012

I stayed at Mara's Place on a whim for three nights in March 2012. I was on the mainland and decided to fly out to Caye Caulker with only a few hours notice. I wrote to five places inquiring about availability, and Mara's Place was the first to respond. Mara's is located right next to the split on the "main drag" and only steps away from the beach. My room was clean, comfortable, and cool (no A/C, but a good, strong fan). I paid about $50US (including taxes) for a double room with a private bathroom. (The bathroom left a little to be desired, but it wasn't too bad and for the price, it was fine.) Mara's has free wireless internet and a hammock on the deck of each room. It also has a private dock and a shared kitchen. There was a small TV in the room, but I never turned it on, so I don't know how many channels it had. The email address for Mara's is maras_place@hotmail.com.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Amberguesa
Reviewed March 13, 2012

We stayed at a fancy expensive place for a week first then went to Mara's. We liked Mara's better. Bad things first, no airconditioning, you can hear people in some other rooms sometimes. Thats it. We didn't need air conditioning cause the location has wind all the time. It was quiet when we were sleeping every day. The rooms have ceramic tiles so it is easy to clean. The maid comes every day with clean towels and sweeps etc. The location near the split was perfect. The rooms are just like the island quaint. Someone is there all the time if you need help with anything. It is safe and the best $45 a night.

Room Tip: The front room number 2 we think is the best. right on the ocean. People to watch. Biggest.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank deepdiverhermano
Reviewed February 26, 2012

we stayed here for 2 weeks and were very pleased, great friendly ppl
when we arrived in belize our checked didnt,when we checked in and mentioned that our bag didnt make it, krissa (maras daughter) made all the phone calls and tracked it down, got it 2 days later, she when out of her way to do that, cant say enough about that.
rooms are clean and tidy, cleaned everyday, if your noisy and loud at night you will have a prob, mara dosent tolerate ppl disturbing other guests we thought that was great,that might be why some give a bad review, we liked it there and would stay there again
there building a coffee/pastery shop there, might be opened by now

Room Tip: number 7 is in the shade and close to the shared kitchen
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bluenoser2011
Reviewed February 11, 2012

This is my second stay at Mara's Place. If you are looking for a perfect experience, this is not the place. If you are looking for a reasonably priced place in a good location, then this is the place. Mara's Place is located just steps from the Lazy Lizard/Split. Obviously I wasn't too bothered by my last stay since I stayed again. Honestly how much time do you actually spend in your room? I feel like the basics are good enough. For more information about my travels in Belize check out www.alaskagirlatheart.com.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends