“Fantastic Location and views at Mara's Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mara's Place

Mara's Place
Ranked #14 of 32 Caye Caulker B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Location and views at Mara's Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

We stayed at Mara's Place for 4 nights in January and had a wonderful time. We stayed in room 2, which has absolutely fantastic views straight out over the sea.

The room was pretty large and comfortable, the fridge kept our drinks cool and the tv was a nice bonus. The wi-fi was also useful, although the connection from our room was a bit weak.

Even though it was hot we felt fine with just the fans - had a nice breeze coming through the windows. The private deck was also fun, although the deckchairs were run-down. Overall it was a great place to stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Becky C

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2011

I stayed at Mara's Place for 5 days in late february and it was great! The rooms are very basic, but totally clean. There were three of us and we shared 2 double beds, and had more then enough floor space to spread out our packs. The rooms come with a table, chair, and tv, as well as one night stand. The bathroom is basic, but gets the job done. Decent water pressure in the shower (but not great). Mara herself was great! Very hospitable. She locked our travel documents in her safe in the main house (no safe in the rooms). There is an outdoor communal kitchen in the back also. The thing I loved the most about Mara's were the hammocks! Each room had hammock on the porch, and across the street there is a private dock, with 3 hammocks in the shade and a few chairs in the sun. I spent a fair amount of hours napping in those hammocks, let me tell you! Mara's is the last housing option on the main street in Caye Caulker, closest to the beach and the Lazy Lizard. The bar closes early and we were never disturbed by any noise. The rooms have 2 locks on the front door, we felt very safe. She also has wifi.

Only con from my POV: thin, springy matresses.

For the price and location, Mara's was a great choice for our backpacking travel time in Caye Caulker.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2011

After reading trip reviews I decided to prebook six nights at Mara's place for the 3rd week of January. We communicated by email and they made the process very easy for me. They did not charge anything to my credit card without informing me first. I arrived late so they left the key in the door for me. Even though I was traveling solo they put me in Cabana 2. Its a spacious room with two double beds, a fridge and a tv. And a room with a fantastic view! The washroom was small, very simple and a bit rusty. But it was kept clean. The water coming through the taps is salt water but it wasn't hard water. The shower pressure is good at night and they had hot water. I loved their private dock right near the split. Mara and her husband are very nice people. She agreed to hold on to my passport and put it in her own safe. So I did not have to worry about having my passport stolen. As a solo female traveller I felt very safe staying at Mara's. Even though my cabana was right by the street the location is far enough away from the hustle and bustle of the main areas. I would definately stay here again and request Cabana 2!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank melo4000
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2011

We had an amazing time at caye caulker and Mara is very nice , friendly and helpful .
I would go back today , if i could ! We were right by the split , the place if you need to relax !
You HAVE to slow down ! We went on a sailing trip , snorkeled , with caveman , snorkeled and swam with the sharks , stingrays and turtles ...we saw barracudas and eels too!

Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Monroe, WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2011

I really don't have much negative to say, but I wasn't too excited either. The room was mediocre. I think they were clean, but they were kind of worn. The person who checked me in (Mara?) was not overly friendly although a couple days later she was a bit nicer.

The location is pretty great and the room I stayed in (#4) had a good view. I didn't think the locks worked very well which at first made me a bit uncomfortable, but I later learned the island was pretty safe. I thought the signs listing rules all over the room was a bit unsightly.

A huge negative...the first night I was there someone either got locked out of their room or their roomy wouldn't let them in. The banged on the door so loudly that the entire building shook. When I asked the gal (Mara?) about it the next morning she seemed to know about it and just brushed it off like it was no big deal. I was very worried that the behavior would continue my entire stay, but fortunately those folks moved out and the rest of my stay was quiet.

I don't think I'd stay here again because there are a few other places I'd like to try, but if the price works for your budget it's not too bad.

One note...I saw a post saying the showers were salt water. I have no idea why they would say that. They definitely were not salt water although I think the water had a high mineral content.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank AlaskaGirlAtHeart
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2010

This place is located right by the Split and the Lazy Lizard (great place to watch the sunset).

The rooms are clean, but no AC which made it a bit hard to sleep. There are ceiling fans.

The showers are with salt water, so I recommend cold showers to avoid feeling like you did not shower at all.

Did not really see any employees when there, however, they weren't overly friendly when we did see them.

The location is great and on the main street. There are plenty of restaurants and clubs within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2010
Wanaka
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

We stayed at Mara's for 4 nights and it was very nice- the room was spot on. We stayed in a room on the first floor. It had a queen with a ceiling van, a fridge, tv and ensuite and balcony with chairs and a hammock. There's also a little dock for chilling and swimming off, just for guest of Mara's place. It's literally at the Split.
It was one of the pricier places we stayed at during our trip in Central America, but that;s Belize for you I guess. We payed 40US.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple