“Welcome oasis in a busy town”
Review of SunBreeze Suites

SunBreeze Suites
Ranked #17 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Welcome oasis in a busy town”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We have stayed in several hotels in San Pedro on our visits to this fair city but this surpasses them all. It is close to everything and yet in a very quiet location. All the rooms have an ocean view from the balcony along with a view of the pool and the restaurant located on the property. The kitchen is completely stocked with dishes and utinsels and ready to move in. We usually ate breakfast in and there is a small grocery store just a few steps away from the hotel. The staff was always prompt, friendly and efficient. They offer a shuttle service to the airport but an added advantage to this property is that it's only a few steps away from the Caye Caulker Water Taxi terminal. The king sized bed was topped with a memory foam mattress pad and the AC was very cold if you wanted it on at all. There are ceiling fans in every room. Each suite has a full kitchen and living area. There is a queen sleeper sofa in the livingnroom. Cable service and wireless internet are free.There is also an electric bike rental connected to the hotel. An electric bike is the only way t get around SP. Forget the golf cart. All in all Sun Breeze Suites made our trip to SP all that much more enjoyable. We will definitely be back.

2 Thank Roger C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We were very happy with our recent stay at SunBreeze Suites...

The staff are very friendly and helpful...they called our room shortly after we checked in to be sure everything was to our liking...

I was very happy with the size of our suite...we had an oceanfront suite with a lovely wrap around deck...the bedroom was a good size and plenty of room to store our luggage without tripping over it.

The kitchen was GREAT!! After having stayed the week prior on the mainland and having no refridge or microwave, to go to a FULL kitchen was fantastic...I was so happy to see a blender since we do a lot of smoothies for our breakfast! We ate breakfast and lunch in our suite every day...nice savings only needing to go out for dinner!

The bathroom was very nice size too...the shower was very large...no danger of bumping elbows while washing hair!

The only minor frustration was the WiFi connection...my husband's iPod touch seemed to pick up the signal OK, but my iPad kicked me off every couple of minutes...our last day there it seemed to improve (for which I was greatful since a storm came in and we were stuck inside all day!)

The price for our unit was great...we were there in June and paid $130/night for ocean front...my husband almost always thinks I overpay for hotel rooms, but even he thought this was a good deal!

The location is at the north end of town...everything is very "walkable" but it's nice and quiet...

We would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: We had a 2nd floor corner suite...one of our bedroom windows looked right on to the deck of the hote...
1 Thank CAwaldoMD
Sacramento
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We just finished our stay at the Sunbreeze Suites and I could not have been happier. We planned on visiting Belize after a week stay in the Riviera Maya as part of our honeymoon and found a deal for this hotel on Groupon; however, we were hesitant to buy it since we were not sure if there would be any availability for the time that we wanted to visit. My husband contacted them via email and phone and they were very quick to respond and help us book our stay. They did have availability when we wanted to come and said they would honor the groupon rate but my husband found a better deal with cheaptickets and they told him to go ahead and book through there because that was the best deal running at the time. We really appreciated their help and honesty with this.

Before arriving, we emailed them to let them know that we would be coming on a water taxi and they arranged to pick us up as soon as we arrived. Unfortunately, there are only 2 water taxis that run from Chetumal, MX and San Pedro, Belize and due it being the off season, they alternate the days on which they travel to the island. We didn't find out that the taxi company we thought we were arriving on was on their off day until it was too late for us to correct our mistake with the hotel. We ended up walking to the hotel (about a 10 min walk but you can take a taxi) and arrived at the same time that the bellman was coming back from trying to pick us up at the other dock. He looked very sorry that we had to walk but we told him that it was not his fault and not to worry about it.

When we checked in, we were given our pool towels, safe key, remote for the TV and room key. All which have a charge if you don't return them. We made our way to our room and were extremely happy with the cleanliness, size, comfort, view and full kitchen. There were even some fresh flowers on the dining table with a welcome card from the staff wishing us a happy honeymoon!The only problem we had was with the water pressure in the shower being extremely low. I thought that this was normal because we were on an island but my husband told the front desk about it and they had maintenance check it out. It turned out that there was something wrong with the pressure and the staff got it fixed right away---guess my husband was right.

You can book tours directly with the front desk but we booked them with Reef Front Realty and Travel which is in the same building as the hotel but not associated (we found this out later). We were extremely happy with Fonzie Moncada at the travel agency who booked our sensational snorkeling trip to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley for a price lower than we found anywhere else (including the hotel). We were also able to get a golf cart rented with him and he was extremely nice!

We explored the island via golf cart and found that our hotel had an excellent location in town. There are nicer resorts on the outskirts of the island but you are definately too far from the city center to want to walk everyday. Walking everywhere was no problem for us since nothing was too far, the golf cart was simply to explore the rest of the island.

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this place and would definately go again and recommend it to anyone else going to Belize.

Room Tip: Ask for a second or third level room if you want a better view of the ocean.
1 Thank Wendy M
Bermuda
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Spent 8 nights, staying in room 201 ocean front, what a perfect spot. We had stayed at the sister property 8 years ago (Sunbeeze Hotel) and liked the property so we decided to stay at SunBreeze Suites for the location and the extra amenities.

The suite was perfect, tropical charm and was equipped with everything you needed. Spent many a breakfast and happy hour on the balcony enjoying the view. Housekeeping daily which was great, and a kitchen to cook breakfast each morning was really handy. I found there was plenty of space and the suite had a good layout.

The only slight negative which I noticed throughout my stay, was a specific local that would come to the bar and drink all day, and when I mean all day I mean ALL DAY. He would get intoxicated and then ask guests to buy him a drink (which happended to us) or would sit down at a table where guests were eating and become really annoying. The bar staff didn't seem to do anything about it.

All in all, I would certainly stay here again, I found the staff to be professional and friendly and I felt completely safe walking into the beach entrance at night once the front gates were locked.

Room Tip: 2nd floor ocean front # 201, perfect spot
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We went to Sun Breeze Suites on recommendations and we were not disappointed, we lived in the top ocean front apartment until the last night when the AC went wrong but this was not a problem as the staff immediately gave us a second room for the last night to sleep in peace, had a good laugh each day with Winton he was a great character of these suites, the location was just right for our diving, socialising and making new friends.

Room Tip: Pay the little bit extra for the ocean front appartments
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Hilliard
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This was the first of 2 hotels that we stayed in, we switched islands part way through our trip. We were very pleased with the location, right on the beach and centrally located by restaurants, dive shops, bars, shopping etc. Our room was amazing, HUGE shower, king size bed, living room and full kitchen, the view from the balcony was amazing! We never used the pool as we dove alot but it looked very nice. The receptionist and bellman were fantastic as was the bartender. Can't say enough good things, I highly recommend this hotel to everyone, it definitely looked like one of the nicer places along the beach. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit!

Room Tip: Ocean View room was great, we stayed in 305.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Amber J
Dublin, California
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My first trip to San Pedro (and Belize), booked this hotel based on it's central location, being in the heart of downtown San Pedro. Next time, however, I will be looking for a resort further south. That's no reflection on Sunbreeze Suites but San Pedro itself, as I will explain at the end of this review.

I found the hotel itself to be excellent. My room (T102) had a great beachside aspect but I did wonder about security, since the balcony is connected to the roof of the bar/restaurant. It would be easy for someone to access your balcony door by climbing up the side wall which adjoins the easement from the street to the beach.

An excellent suite with a corner balcony and a fantastic view of the ocean. It was also a large spacious 3 room suite with a separate bedroom and bathroom, generous kitchen, dining area and sitting room. I was flying solo on this trip but had my wife been travelling with me, the suite would have been the perfect size. The suite itself was very clean throughout and the kitchen suitably equipped if I were inclined to do some shopping and prepare my own meals. One thing missing was a peephole in the front door. If anyone knocks on the door you need to shout through the door. On 3 different occasions I had someone at the door who had no business being there.

The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. You couldn't ask for better.

Admittedly, I was there in the off-season (mid-May) so there weren't all that many people around. I had no noise issues with being situated above the bar area.

Now, as I said earlier, the reason I would rather stay elsewhere on my next visit is nothing to do with Sunbreeze Suites. It's more to do with the low lifes that hang around the beach area and front of the hotel. There must be a good local market for drugs and woman because I was offered both several times just in one morning's stroll along the beach.

On one afternoon I visited the ATM across the street, as I got out of the ATM foyer and crossed the street a guy on a bike fronts up to me and after a familiar hard luck story demands money off me. When I say no, his friendly demeanor is gone in an instant and he promptly gives me a earful of insults. I was standing in the doorway of the hotel so I could just turn around and walk away. The same thing happened in an ATM near the airport. As I leave the ATM (this one was early in the morning) I spot two guys a little up the street obviously scoping out the ATM. As I walk out they disappear down a side street. Sure enough, I get a block down the street and one of the guys appears and demands money off me. I shrug him off and keep walking. At the next intersection, the other guy appears and is also trying to get money out me. I was just glad there were other people around.

On another occasion, while out with my DSLR camera round my neck and a backpack I was followed for a couple of blocks. We did a little dance with me crossing the street several times and him following, pretending to be interested in something else but I could see in window reflections that he was watching me the whole time. I picked a good spot with plenty of people in plain view and when I turned around and looked straight at him he suddenly had urgent business back up the street.

Despite these few minor incidents, I never really felt physically threatened wandering around town on my own either during the day or at night. Still, next time I go to Ambergris Caye I will be staying outside of San Pedro.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank ccnicholls
SBsuites, General Manager at SunBreeze Suites, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is very important for to us to receive feedback from guests as it allows us to improve any gaps, and have a deeper insight so that we can make sure that we are offering guests our goal “to ensure that our guests have a peaceful, relaxed, safe and fun vacation – worry free”.

SunBreeze Suites is indeed located on the north edge of San Pedro Town. The town is the busy area of the Island. Here you will be able to see the diversity of our ethnicity: Mestizo’s, Maya's, Creole, Garifuna’s and in the late decades we have people from around the world that have made San Pedro Town and the island a home. Because of the diversity here you will find a mix of local and gourmet restaurants, live entertainments, souvenir stands and much more. Of course, with the growth of our Island unfortunately comes the unwelcomed – a few low life persons, who don’t appreciate the importance of tourism industry in our country. We feel terribly sorry that you had to experience this disapproving experience. We have brought this to the attention of the Belize Tourism Police and the San Pedro Town Council.

We are delighted to know that you found SunBreeze Suites an excellent Resort. We don’t know if you noticed, but we have in place security cameras in different locations at the hotel, and we have night security . We will, of course, increase our vigilance as it would not be difficult to identify these bums as it is a small town, and no one on the island condones such disapproving behavior.

As noted from other reviewers the location is what make SunBreeze Suites and ideal Resort to experience the town’s and water activities. Should you re-consider, we would love to have you again