My first trip to San Pedro (and Belize), booked this hotel based on it's central location, being in the heart of downtown San Pedro. Next time, however, I will be looking for a resort further south. That's no reflection on Sunbreeze Suites but San Pedro itself, as I will explain at the end of this review.
I found the hotel itself to be excellent. My room (T102) had a great beachside aspect but I did wonder about security, since the balcony is connected to the roof of the bar/restaurant. It would be easy for someone to access your balcony door by climbing up the side wall which adjoins the easement from the street to the beach.
An excellent suite with a corner balcony and a fantastic view of the ocean. It was also a large spacious 3 room suite with a separate bedroom and bathroom, generous kitchen, dining area and sitting room. I was flying solo on this trip but had my wife been travelling with me, the suite would have been the perfect size. The suite itself was very clean throughout and the kitchen suitably equipped if I were inclined to do some shopping and prepare my own meals. One thing missing was a peephole in the front door. If anyone knocks on the door you need to shout through the door. On 3 different occasions I had someone at the door who had no business being there.
The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. You couldn't ask for better.
Admittedly, I was there in the off-season (mid-May) so there weren't all that many people around. I had no noise issues with being situated above the bar area.
Now, as I said earlier, the reason I would rather stay elsewhere on my next visit is nothing to do with Sunbreeze Suites. It's more to do with the low lifes that hang around the beach area and front of the hotel. There must be a good local market for drugs and woman because I was offered both several times just in one morning's stroll along the beach.
On one afternoon I visited the ATM across the street, as I got out of the ATM foyer and crossed the street a guy on a bike fronts up to me and after a familiar hard luck story demands money off me. When I say no, his friendly demeanor is gone in an instant and he promptly gives me a earful of insults. I was standing in the doorway of the hotel so I could just turn around and walk away. The same thing happened in an ATM near the airport. As I leave the ATM (this one was early in the morning) I spot two guys a little up the street obviously scoping out the ATM. As I walk out they disappear down a side street. Sure enough, I get a block down the street and one of the guys appears and demands money off me. I shrug him off and keep walking. At the next intersection, the other guy appears and is also trying to get money out me. I was just glad there were other people around.
On another occasion, while out with my DSLR camera round my neck and a backpack I was followed for a couple of blocks. We did a little dance with me crossing the street several times and him following, pretending to be interested in something else but I could see in window reflections that he was watching me the whole time. I picked a good spot with plenty of people in plain view and when I turned around and looked straight at him he suddenly had urgent business back up the street.
Despite these few minor incidents, I never really felt physically threatened wandering around town on my own either during the day or at night. Still, next time I go to Ambergris Caye I will be staying outside of San Pedro.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SunBreeze Suites is situated in the laid back beach town of San Pedro, on the popular Ambergris Caye. At our front door, the town welcomes you to join in the fun, and out our back door, you are just a few steps from the Caribbean Sea and the largest Barrier Reef in the Western Hemisphere (a UNESCO world heritage site). SunBreeze Suites is comprised of twenty comfortable one bedroom vacation suites overlooking the beautiful Caribbean Sea. Each Suite comes with a private balcony from where you can enjoy breathtaking sunrises, refreshing cool sea-breezes and romantic moonlight nights. We offer complimentary WiFi to keep you connected with your loved ones. It is within walking distance to grocery stores, entertainment centers, local and gourmet restaurants, banks, fruit shops, caffes, and Belizean art galleries. This San Pedro Hotel offers an open air-beach front restaurant & bar, pool, dock, and Free Wi-Fi in-suites and common areas. Jambel Jerk Pit Restaurant & Bar offers a fusion of Belize's signature flavours with the perfect blend of Jamaican Cuisine. Carefully selected spices are utilized which are sure to tantalize your taste, while the exceptional aroma awakes you! Open for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm daily). Offering "All you can eat buffet on Wednesday with live music from 6:00 pm to 9:30pm and Happy hour on Fridays from 5:00pm to 9:00pm. " Belize Dive Connection" a well known and respected dive operation for over 15 years now, just an 8 minute stroll away, provides The SunBreeze Suites' guests with safe and professional diving. Diving, Snorkeling, Beach Picnics, and/or Fishing trips are just a few of the many tours available from this beachfront hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, Travelocity and Odigeo so you can book your SunBreeze Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunbreeze Hotel San Pedro
- Sunbreeze Resort San Pedro
- SunBreeze Suites Belize/San Pedro