“Friendly Staff, Clean Accomodations & the right price...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of SunBreeze Suites

You added SunBreeze Suites to your Saves list
SunBreeze Suites
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Beach Front Barrier Reef Drive | P.O. Box 14, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Special Rate
PAY 2 STAY 3rd night FREE
Ranked #18 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Dublin, California
“Friendly Staff, Clean Accomodations & the right price...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

My first trip to San Pedro (and Belize), booked this hotel based on it's central location, being in the heart of downtown San Pedro. Next time, however, I will be looking for a resort further south. That's no reflection on Sunbreeze Suites but San Pedro itself, as I will explain at the end of this review.

I found the hotel itself to be excellent. My room (T102) had a great beachside aspect but I did wonder about security, since the balcony is connected to the roof of the bar/restaurant. It would be easy for someone to access your balcony door by climbing up the side wall which adjoins the easement from the street to the beach.

An excellent suite with a corner balcony and a fantastic view of the ocean. It was also a large spacious 3 room suite with a separate bedroom and bathroom, generous kitchen, dining area and sitting room. I was flying solo on this trip but had my wife been travelling with me, the suite would have been the perfect size. The suite itself was very clean throughout and the kitchen suitably equipped if I were inclined to do some shopping and prepare my own meals. One thing missing was a peephole in the front door. If anyone knocks on the door you need to shout through the door. On 3 different occasions I had someone at the door who had no business being there.

The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. You couldn't ask for better.

Admittedly, I was there in the off-season (mid-May) so there weren't all that many people around. I had no noise issues with being situated above the bar area.

Now, as I said earlier, the reason I would rather stay elsewhere on my next visit is nothing to do with Sunbreeze Suites. It's more to do with the low lifes that hang around the beach area and front of the hotel. There must be a good local market for drugs and woman because I was offered both several times just in one morning's stroll along the beach.

On one afternoon I visited the ATM across the street, as I got out of the ATM foyer and crossed the street a guy on a bike fronts up to me and after a familiar hard luck story demands money off me. When I say no, his friendly demeanor is gone in an instant and he promptly gives me a earful of insults. I was standing in the doorway of the hotel so I could just turn around and walk away. The same thing happened in an ATM near the airport. As I leave the ATM (this one was early in the morning) I spot two guys a little up the street obviously scoping out the ATM. As I walk out they disappear down a side street. Sure enough, I get a block down the street and one of the guys appears and demands money off me. I shrug him off and keep walking. At the next intersection, the other guy appears and is also trying to get money out me. I was just glad there were other people around.

On another occasion, while out with my DSLR camera round my neck and a backpack I was followed for a couple of blocks. We did a little dance with me crossing the street several times and him following, pretending to be interested in something else but I could see in window reflections that he was watching me the whole time. I picked a good spot with plenty of people in plain view and when I turned around and looked straight at him he suddenly had urgent business back up the street.

Despite these few minor incidents, I never really felt physically threatened wandering around town on my own either during the day or at night. Still, next time I go to Ambergris Caye I will be staying outside of San Pedro.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank ccnicholls
SBsuites, General Manager at SunBreeze Suites, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is very important for to us to receive feedback from guests as it allows us to improve any gaps, and have a deeper insight so that we can make sure that we are offering guests our goal “to ensure that our guests have a peaceful, relaxed, safe and fun vacation – worry free”.

SunBreeze Suites is indeed located on the north edge of San Pedro Town. The town is the busy area of the Island. Here you will be able to see the diversity of our ethnicity: Mestizo’s, Maya's, Creole, Garifuna’s and in the late decades we have people from around the world that have made San Pedro Town and the island a home. Because of the diversity here you will find a mix of local and gourmet restaurants, live entertainments, souvenir stands and much more. Of course, with the growth of our Island unfortunately comes the unwelcomed – a few low life persons, who don’t appreciate the importance of tourism industry in our country. We feel terribly sorry that you had to experience this disapproving experience. We have brought this to the attention of the Belize Tourism Police and the San Pedro Town Council.

We are delighted to know that you found SunBreeze Suites an excellent Resort. We don’t know if you noticed, but we have in place security cameras in different locations at the hotel, and we have night security . We will, of course, increase our vigilance as it would not be difficult to identify these bums as it is a small town, and no one on the island condones such disapproving behavior.

As noted from other reviewers the location is what make SunBreeze Suites and ideal Resort to experience the town’s and water activities. Should you re-consider, we would love to have you again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Older property that has been adequetly maintained; large rooms, very comfortable king size bed. The Staff is so helpful. The Bar has very friendly staff. This is not a place for children, does not have the amenities of a full scale resort, but very good for singles or adult families.I would consider a return visit with them.

Room Tip: We had a gound floor unit.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Black mold, smelly sheets, loud music, and drug dealers. Now that I have your attention, expand this review and read exactly what the Sunbreeze Suites is really like. First, just so you don't think I'm some over critical snob, you must know that I am an expat that currently lives in Baghdad, so I am very familiar with "lower" living conditions. Well, I somewhat felt at home at the Sunbreeze. If you enjoy being in the heart of San Pedro with the hustle and bustle of the local "developing" people, by all means, go to the Sunbreeze. I had arguably the best room there (107) which looked straight out into the sea and had a door to the pool deck and bar. But, the bar played Reggae music (usually one song on repeat) until 11 or midnight. So loud that it sounded like a party in our room. I would sit out on the porch overlooking the beach (more appropriately the sand by the dock) and local "party suppliers" would walk up and try and sell us cocaine and weed. While some reading this may think that's awesome, it really made the vacation feel dirty. The room, particularly the sheets, smelled like old mold and there was black mold developing in the shower. I understand the whole island environment is hard on living quarters, but for the price they could have done something. And here is where it gets good. I told them I wasn't happy and I found a different hotel. Told them it wasn't personal and I would be happy to pay for the 2 nights we stayed and will be on our way. They didn't even try to rectify the situation, sent someone to our room with a comments card with the early checkout date written in, and proceeded to have a chip on their shoulder about the whole event. Oh, and they refused to refund the other 8 nights I paid for in advance. I thought about keeping the room since I was paying for it and using it as a base camp while in town, but I just didn't want to deal with the establishment anymore and said good riddance. So, in summary, if you really don't care about where you stay, go to Sunbreeze. But if you re looking to relax and not be bothered, spend the little extra cash and go somewhere else. I upgraded to Victoria House and do not regret it.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank AmExpatriate
SBsuites, General Manager at SunBreeze Suites, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for your review. I want to say that I am so sorry that our quaint SunBreeze Suites did not meet your expectation. You had communicated this with our senior front desk clerk on the same day of your arrival, but there was very little we could do since you had your mind set to find alternate accommodations outside of the town. In fact, our property is located just north of the heart of the town and many of our guests love the idea of being able to walk to the many local/gourmet restaurants, groceries stores, entertainment, water-sports activities and have a close feel of our culture and friendly people. Should you have brought your complaints to our attention during your stay, we would have had the opportunity to do everything possible to rectify any issue that you may have found disturbing in your suite. As you mentioned, our suites do offer a porch that overlooks the water (beach) and just glazing at the sea makes you feel relaxed. It must have been very disturbing to have been approached by these “Party Suppliers”. We have, however, taken note through this review, and will increase our vigilance to identify these people and to make a proper report to the authorities. We trust that you will continue to enjoy our beautiful island and people.

Julia Edwards
West Linn, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Great spot on the northern part of San Pedro. Nice refreshing pool and jamician restaurant on site which was very good. Beautiful sunrises if you are up that early. Great location and good value. You can arrange snorkeling, snuba or scuba and will be picked up at the dock right in front. I did snuba and snorkeling with Discovery and it was very exciting and the guides were great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank royroy99
Washington, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Three nights stay here before a nine night sailing adventure. It was a perfect setting foe getting a start on our vacation. Our room was large and the shower was huge. Everything was very clean and there were even flowers on our bed! The pool is lovely and the grounds are very clean too. It is right across from the airport so it is handy too.

Room Tip: Check out several beach front restaurants not just the hotel one.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We had a great time at this hotel. The maid service was very good. The rooms were spacious, and the staff was very accommodating of our needs for an extra bed. There is a nice view of the ocean a few steps away. There is some noise coming from the restaurant and from the street, but I imagine this would be the same in most other hotels along the beach. Overall, it was a very good experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
new haven, Conn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Overall we had a most enjoyable stay. Wilton and Amalia were very friendly and helpful, especially Wilton. Our suite was very comfortable the Ac worked very well and the kitchen facilities were very adequate. The restaurant food however, could have been better.

Would love to visit again. Had a relaxing and enjoyable time at Sunbreeze Suites. Would recommend it highly!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family