“I paid what for this?!”

Searious Adventures
Ranked #8 of 77 Tours in San Pedro
More attraction details
Owner description: CAVE TUBING, ZIP LINING, MAYAN RUINS, SNORKELING, FISHING, BEACH BBQ, MANATEES, SHARKS & STING RAYS AND MORE.... SEArious Adventures is committed to providing the most professional tour possible and pride ourselves in offering educational fun!! Join our Adventures with Willie Leslie and Crew. All local licensed Guides!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed August 7, 2010

I was really looking forward to our trip to Lamanai. I love ruins! Our condotel office guy arranged the trip for us, and I had heard good things about Searious here on Trip Advisor so I was not worried.

Unfortunately things started to go downhill rather quickly. It started off with a nice boat ride to the mainland (pick up 7amish, 60min ride). When you reach the mainland you start a short cruise up a river. At this point they serve you breakfast. Here is where things started to go wrong. One of the tour leaders says "I am putting the food at the front of the boat come and get it". No organization or further direction to a boat holding 25 people. Needless to say it was total chaos, and being a polite person I got the shaft! No breakfast for me or the other 5 polite people on the boat!

Next you stop at a dock to get a ride to your various destinations (3 tours share the mainland boat ride then split off at this point). One of the guides directs us to our rides. I watch as he points out a nice comfy air conditioned van (it is 90+ and HUMID) to group 1, a nice comfy air conditioned van to group 2, and a crappy old school bus to you guessed it my group! "Ok, ok it is an adventure" I'm thinking at this point, "It won't be that bad just a short ride to our next stop". We get on the bus and my husband asks "How long is the bus ride?" Our answer 60 minutes. Ok what the? 60 minutes on a run down school bus with no AC? I suck it up and put on a smile we are going to see some ruins soon.

Next stop is another boat ride. Before I state the next tragedy, I will say I am not sure Searious runs this boat ride. I think they contract it out to a local company. That being said, it is Searious' responsibility to make sure they are contracting out to a company that will provide quality service if they want to maintain their reputation. Ok final 60 minute boat ride to the Lamani ruins. We are cruising along when it starts to rain, not their fault BUT considering it is the rainy season you think they would be prepared with enough rain jackets to accommodate everyone on the boat. NOPE!! So again being considerate and patient fellow travelers my husband and I get the shaft and spend the next hour contorting our bodies to fit under a shared jacket. I wouldn't have bothered except that we are flying down the river and the rain feels like shards of glass when it hits your skin.

Finally we arrive at Lamanai. At this point my patience has worn thin and I am tired of getting screwed so when lunch is served I sprint to the front of the line and serve myself (I was still considerate and only took my fair share!) Finally some good news to report! The food was excellent! Our tour guide was really knowledgeable and passionate about the ruins, although he did kind of sprint through the tour. I think there was pressure to meet back up with the other two tour groups.

The ride back was just as horrible. Again with the shared rain coat on the boat. The crappy school bus with no AC, which was worse this time because it was raining and all the windows had to be closed! The final boat ride wasn't much better because it continued to rain and this time all we had was a giant tarp that had to be draped over everyone!

In conclusion, I had an excellent time at the ruins, but the trip there and back was totally awful. Considering that it was 6 hours of our day (3 hours there, 3 hours back) I don't know what the heck I paid for!! They could have made the ride much more comfortable with a few simple considerations, and I would have been 100% satisfied with what I paid. There are many tour operators going to Lamanai from San Pedro. Do your research and get a detailed description of what is going to happen straight from the horses mouth before you book. Our condotel office guy felt really bad about what happened I think he will be thinking twice before recommending Searious Adventures again.

3  Thank leela2999

Reviewed July 27, 2010

We recently took two trips with SEArious - to Xunantunich ruins and ziplining, and also to Lamanai. Overall I thought SEArious did a good job, but not a great job.

Good - the guides were very nice and seemed very well informed. At the mayan sites they gave very thorough tours and provided lots of information. Pick ups were at the hotel dock and precisely on time (7am). The boats were so-so, small and kind of beaten up with butt-numbingly thin cushins, but the vans were new and clean and had good A/C. The food was eh (fruit for breakfast and chicken and rice for lunch) but there was plenty of water, sodas, beer, and rum punch.

Bad -
1. the boat trip from San Pedro to the mainland takes approximately 45 minutes and both days we toured with them ALL of the various day trips share one boat out and back. The problem with this is that I felt they were cramming all of the various itineraries into an identical timeblock and there was zero flexibility.

2. Lunch takes way, way too long - at least an hour of sitting around. When you get to the Lamanai site, lunch is first and you're forced to sit by the river for the full hour! We finished eating after 10 minutes and asked the guide if we could go in and start walking around the actual ruins (you can't see anything from the lunch site and the ruins are open to the public, after all) but he refused. So after your 45 minute boat ride to the mainland, 50 minute van ride, and another 30 minute boat ride up the river, they cut short your time at the ruins by an hour just to eat. Give me a sandwich and let me go see what I came all this way to see. We spent just two hours in the entire Lamanai site before it was time to head home. Xunantunich was the same - only about an hour to 90 minutes at the site and then an hour for lunch.

3. They do not let you walk around by yourself. At both Lamanai and Xunantunich the guides did a good tour, but they did not give us the option to walk around the sites on our own. I found this very dissapointing and suspect it was part of keeping everyone on the same boat schedule. I would have preferred an "overview tour" and then time to check out what I found interesting.

Cave tubing takes a bit over an hour and the ziplining took about 35 minutes. The zipline was dissapointingly short (not SEArious's fault, obviously). Because we did Xunantunich and ziplining while other people in our group did Xunantunich and cave tubing, we had to sit around for 40 minutes and wait for the cave tubers. It would have been nice to know this in advance.

All of this being said, Xunantunich and Lamanai are VERY impressive and the trips were fun overall. It's a lot of travelling, but I would recommend it.

1  Thank sotaroca2
Reviewed June 25, 2010

My Husband and I took a short snorkel trip with Searious Adventures to Mexico Rocks and Tres Cocos. There were 2 other people that came along beside us. We were able to snorkel for about 45 min. at each place and there were very few other snorkelers around. This was perfect because with the other trip I took there were too many snorkelers and I felt like I was going to kick someone or be kicked the entire time. It was so serene swimming freely at each spot. We had a freshly baked coconut pastry on our way back that was delicious. I would recommend this short and sweet trip!

5  Thank Jen0023
Reviewed June 22, 2010

Great Service, pickup right at hotel pier.
The guides were interesting, helpful and fun.
Completed a short trip to the Reef and Mexico Rocks, which were beautiful.

Note to the guides: Don't let tourists bully you. On our tour, an obnoxious family dictated the length of our stops, and even grabbed all of the beverages that were being passed to other passengers in the boat.

1  Thank LADB
Reviewed May 25, 2010

Our guide, Gustavo Polanco, was fantastic. He was funny. He knew exactly where to find the action -- we saw ALL KINDS of fish, sea turtles, loggerhead turtles, nurse sharks, sting rays, moray eels! He managed to corral a baby nurse shark so that we could touch it!! Totally unexpected how it felt - it felt like wet sandpaper! He also corralled a sting ray -- and we touched it -- very unexpected too! The sting ray was kind slippery and velvety. So awesome! He also had these fantastic coconut tarts for a snack that were to die for. He knew all about what we were seeing, and was very informative. He was a great guide. A lot of fun, and a great guy too. Definitely recommend - and since he was so fabulous - ask for Gustavo!