“Hmmm -so so- service ok”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Reef Village Resort
Ranked #53 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Edgewater,FL
“Hmmm -so so- service ok”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We had never been to San Pedro and found this through Expedia. I was low season so not too many folks here. The locals were friendly. The office closes at 4:30-5 pm and housekeeping leaves. So if you have a need after hours it is not able to be filled. The sheets in our room (masterbedroom) had long hairs left behind..hope they were washed prior to our stay. We had a 2 bedroom condo for three nights on the third floor. The overall location was good, just on the other side of the bridge so you payed to cross daily. We were leaving early in the morning and the office arranged for our taxi..guess what. Never showed. My husband had to walk to the bridge and hail another cab. The "security" just said -oh no mon, he must have overslept-.They did not even have a golf car to bring us to the water taxi- I was not impressed with the service. It was okay overall. I think I will opt to stay elsewhere my next visit,

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank luckofbolton

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 24, 2012

For those who may be accustomed to a 5-star resort, you might be a little dissappointed but what it may lack in "5-star" it makes up for it with the friendliness of the staff.
Reef Village is located about a mile north of the town square, over what everyone knows as the bridge. The resort will pick you up from the airport or dock free of charge. Once you cross the bridge, you are on a dirt road, but they do try to keep it maintained. The resort itself is not directly on the ocean, but is surrounded by a lagoon.
From what I understand, each unit is individually owned so you might find one unit nicer (or less so) than another. The unit I stayed in was one that could use a little more attention, although it was not unbearable. I'd suggest asking for a unit not directly facing the main road as you can hear the golf carts (yes, gas-powered golfcarts is the norm) and other traffic sometimes early in the morning. Golf cart rentals are a little high in my opinion (from $200-300 a week). The resort is close enough to town to walk, which I did all the time, usually walking down the beach to the town square, enjoying the pleasant breeze.
I think the resort is actually in a perfect location, close enough to town to walk, but far enough away so you are in the middle of traffic - Yes, they have a LOT of traffic due to the narrow streets and everyone driving a golf cart or taking a taxi. For those staying at the resort and wanting to take a taxi, your cost will be cut in half if you just walk over the bridge and get picked up there - all vehicle traffic has to pay a fee to cross the bridge. Taxi fares really aren't expensive however. Another plus is that if you want to go to one of the finer restaurants on the north end of the island, there is a dock across the street from the resort where you can be picked up by a water taxi or the restaurant/resort's boat.
Back to the resort itself. The restaurant has a decent menu and pretty good food. The have a bar and have some activities on different days so be sure to ask. Omar, the bar manager is very friendly. There is a pool at the bar/restaurant. Karla and David, at the front desk are happy to make reservations, suggestions, and book tours for you. You'll find them very friendly and helpful.
There is also a very good hamburger restaurant (Legends) just a short walk north of the resort.
There is also a small grocery store within walking distance of the resort, but be sure to check expiration dates on anything you buy from there.
There is also a free washer/dryer in each building, but I strongly suggest not washing any lighter colors/whites or expensive as the water sometimes comes out of the faucet (and into the washers) brown and you will probably have stained clothing....which won't come out when you get home and try to get them clean again. The brown water is just part of the reality that this is still a developing country and you can't expect it to be just like home.
Overall, I enjoyed my stay. I didn't stay anywhere else on the island so I can't compare it to other resorts there but if you are using a time-share trade or paying a nightly fee, it's not the worst place. Recapping the best things about the resort - location and friendliness of the staff.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
16 Thank bearecub
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I'm glad I waited to get back home and write this review. It gave me more time to reflect on our vaction stay at the Village Reef. We stayed at this property after exchanging through Interval International. I'll start with the thumbs up comments.
The rooms are sizable. Depending on what building you're in and floor of the unit, great views.
Great central AC. Very nice pool, albeit small. Very nice staff. Semi-close to town.

Now the thumbs down. As other reviewers have mentioned:
The mosquitoes are awful. I think some of them are on steroids. I'm still hurting from a couple their bites. you definitely have to bath in DEET before going out, especially after 4PM. Around the pool area can be a challege. one of the reasons for the mosquitoes is the property is built on a swamp/lagoon as most properties north of the bridge and on the west side of the island. if you're going to spend your time diving (world class diving), you'll be ok.

There are little to no beaches on the island. If your looking for beaches close to Village Reef, what you'll get is areas with scattered trash everywhere.

One Bar and one restaurant. keep in mind the mosquitoes I mentioned above.

Having to pay every time you cross the bridge. $5 BZ roundtrip.

You'll need to get a Golf Cart if you want to go anywhere beyond the property. DO NOT accept the offer you get from the front desk to rent there. Shop around.for carts.

Once you're off the main roads in town, the roads are not in very good shape and I'm being kind in that statement.

There is a store across from the property but very expensive. Try the others south of the bridge. Keep in mind most items will be expensive since all items have to be shipped in.

No phones in the units. You'll have to pay to use the phone at the front desk.

No internet access in/near the rooms. You'll have to go near the front office/bar/pool to get access. Remember what I said regarding the mosquitoes, Olympic trained bugs.

All in all, Ambergris Caye is a great island. World class diving, incredible food, and very friendly people. When we go back we'll probably look at another property to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
21 Thank LGV60
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed May 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a week in early May.

We were met at the airport and given a golf cart for the week (you do have to pay extra to have a cart for the week). The check in process was smooth, albeit a bit shorter than I anticipated (read, we received less information that I expected). Our one-bedroom condo was great (B202)! The balcony ran the full length of the unit with a beautiful view of the lagoon and restaurant/pool area.

As to the unit itself...there were TVs in both the living room and the bedroom; the bathroom had two sinks (great for 2 people), there was a small walk-in closet; nice furniture; a living room area and separate dining area, as well as a kitchen bar area; a microwave and wine chiller in the kitchen but no dishwasher. Bring your own shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. Those were not provided (as one might expect given where you are, see below). There were, however, a hairdryer and bars of soap. We received plenty of towels--both for the pool and the room. The unit is easily accessible to the pool area, with or without a golf cart. (We found having a golf cart very helpful.) Daily maid service is provided, which is really nice. Laundry facilities are also available, free of charge, but you do need to provide your own detergent. Also, you will want to buy water while you are there. All you have to do is go to one of the local markets and pay a small deposit for a 5 gallon bottle of water (we recommend Richie's, but you'll need a cart to get there if you are purchasing a 5 gallon bottle). The units have a dispenser for you to use.

People have criticized Reef Village as having items that look run down or not new. I encourage people to remember, you are in a third world (or developing, depending on who you talk to) country in a humid environment, and on an island on top of that (i.e., items don't just get delivered by truck). Replacing a miniblind because a slat is missing is not the easiest or cheapest thing to do, nor is getting a replacement coffee pot. So, is everything perfect at Reef Village? No, certainly not. But the unit was great. If you are looking for luxury, I encourage you to stay at The Phoenix.

Also, the resort is still under construction, so don't be put off by partially finished buildings. When you are in your unit or at the pool or restaurant, you can't even see them.

At Reef Village, they leave your trip up to you. They do not try to push you to do things with particular companies. The staff is there to help you, but you do need to be proactive (i.e., be ask them abut things!). The staff was very helpful with any question I had. (We really enjoyed the ACES Crocodile outing on Friday night. Be sure to ask about this and read the fliers! It is awesome!)

Do realize that you are just north of the bridge in San Pedro. Every time you take a vehicle (car, golf cart, or bicycle) over the bridge, there is a toll. We purchased a bridge pass, and that was a great help. If you like walking, there certainly is no need to purchase one.

One quick note...if you go during the "off" season, dinner is not served every night in the restaurant. In fact, regular hours seems to be a foreign concept at many places on the island.

If you keep in mind that you are not in a leading nation, I think you will find Reef Village very nice and accommodating.

Room Tip: I would certainly ask for a unit with a view of the lagoon.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank xerxeszorro
Az
Reviewed March 16, 2012

But beware, it's Belize, which means poor infrastructure and roads and great diving and ocean. The hotel itself was super clean, large condo's, cable TV and freindly staff (thank you Carla). We'll be back. Ours was a timeshare swap.

Room Tip: Avoid the 3rd floor. Too many steps.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank FasteddieAZ
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Our group of 4 enjoyed our Feb. 2011 stay at Reef Village! SO ACCOMADATING!!! Met us at Tropic Air with our cart and another cart to handle our luggage! Fabulous 3 bedroom villa, with excellent maid service. A complete kitchen for my cooking and anything I did not have the maid brought for me! One member of our group celebrated her 81st birthday and the manager of the Al fresco bar had his wife bake a cake!!!! The front desk personel were sooo wonderful. A wire had been bumped off the front light on our cart and the delightful desk clerk had her husband come fix it after he got off of work so I could safely retrieve our night divers. We will return again and again! A wonderful place to go, relax, dive, and enjoy!!!!!

Room Tip: The villas are a wonderful place to stay!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank askerof
Prior Lake
Reviewed February 24, 2012

We stayed through an Interval Exchange in Feb 2011 - not our first choice but it got us there. The Reef Village is clean and you can easily walk to the center of town if you like to walk (probably about a 20 - 30 minute walk to the center of activity). They have a pool and 1 restaurant but not very many amenities and not really a resort. They will capture you for a sales pitch but that is par for the course. We had to change our room once due to heavy rain and water damage but the 2nd room was better, anyway. It is not very picturesque but comfortable accomodations and you probably won't be there much, anyway.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
#17 of 54 in San Pedro
Captain Morgan's Retreat
Captain Morgan's Retreat
#25 of 56 in Ambergris Caye

Been to Reef Village Resort? Share your experiences!