“Amazing doesn't do it justice!!!”
Review of X'tan Ha Resort

X'tan Ha Resort
Ranked #12 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Auburn, Alabama
“Amazing doesn't do it justice!!!”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I don't even know where to start. First don't worry X'tan Ha looks just like the pictures, honestly probably even better. After getting off the water taxi my jaw dropped at how beautiful it is. Its really like a slice of heaven. The staff is so friendly and welcoming. Anything you need room wise Krysta at the front desk will make sure is provided for you. I traveled by myself so it was great that the staff was so welcoming! Upon entering my room not only was a birthday card waiting for me but also champagne and littles leaves on the bed that spelled out happy birthday. The rooms are very spacious and set up like apartments. The inside is spotless and have a modern rustic feel to them. The kitchen has a stove, mini fridge, microwave, and they provide a big water cooler so you have fresh drinking water. The bed is amazing, I swear I think they sent people to heaven to bring back pieces. As soon as your body touches the mattress you feel like a baby in a warm blanket. The bathrooms are spacious and nice and the shower has a little bench for you to sit on. I ordered groceries from Mata Grande which were waiting in my room when I got there, but I definitely won't on my next trip, I will just bring snacks with me. The bread they delivered had mold and snacks would have easily replaced what I cooked. The small touches like the hammocks on the patio of your room really make this resort amazing. Almost every night I sat out there and looked at the stars and there are a lot to see with not much light pollution, I even saw quite a few shooting stars. Only downside, I sometimes had to move around to get an internet signal as it would drop at times, but who really needs internet on vacation. The bar at the resort is very lively and bartenders Fabio and Obie-wan-kanobi are awesome. You will love them they even took me into town and showed me some great places to hang out and eat. The USA world cup game was on so there were a lot of people hanging at the bar to watch. I love the hammock seat they have and tables right in the water so you can eat and drink right off the bar. Make sure you don't forget to autograph the ceiling while you're there. The only downside would be to have a better happy hour, drinks can be expensive and there's not very much of a selection on the happy hour menu. The beach is pristine, the grounds keepers are up early cleaning the beach and removing the seaweed. There are plenty of beach chairs and you never feel crowded on the beach. Even with the proximity to the bar you still feel relaxed and at peace. Take a snorkel right in the shallows of the beach and you can see schools of different fish hanging out. There are kayaks, paddle boards, and a sail boat that you can take out all complimentary. Make sure you take the kayaks out, a 25 to 45min paddle (depending on winds & current) and your right at the Mexico rocks reef and amazing free snorkeling!!! Major word of advice, make sure you tie up the kayak on the buoy at the reef or take the kayak with the cinder block, other wise the current will drag the kayak off, I learned the hard way luckily a group spear fishing brought it back and tied it up for me while I snorkeled (the people are so friendly). Hill with no worries tours, HANDS DOWN THE BEST!! I told them the number 1 thing I wanted to do was see the ruins at Lamanai as there weren't enough people at the resort to go, no worries found another company to take me which was amazing (note: seaduced was an hour late picking me and had I not had the amazing staff at X'tan Ha call I wouldn't have known what was going on). Hill's company is amazing. The staff are always keeping you up to date on activities and I loved how Hill asked everyone after their different excursions how they enjoyed it and if there was anything to make it better. He truly cares not only about what he does but the customer. I went on the Hol Chan/shark ray alley trip with no worries and it was amazing. Not only were we well taken care of with water and sodas but on the snorkel trip we had different unique fish pointed out to us and were informed about the reef. I like that I didn't feel constricted during snorkeling, we followed our guide but I still was able to hang back and explore (just make sure you keep track or your group). The resort is about 7 miles from downtown which is about 20min on the water taxi, you can bike it along the beach, Im a serious runner and 7 miles is my warmup so I would jog there and back as excerise which was ok to me but I'm sure the average person will not be doing that. The restaurant is very nice on the inside, the food is about a C- and pricey by quality. I had the coconut shrimp twice, its very good. The burgers aren't that great. They are very thick but if you go with kids and since most kids are picky & a burger & fries are normally a child's go to they probably won't like it. As an adult I notice the taste difference and its ok but the taste difference for a child won't go over well, people with children will probably understand that. The calimari I had was pretty terrible, the service was excellent tho. While I was there it looks as tho they are building a pool with a swim up bar, can't wait to see how that looks when its finished. Overall I would give X'tan Ha 4.5 stars, not a full 5 just because of the restaurant food and price, having a better happy hour, and dropped internet. The resort is great for everyone families, couples, and solo travelers. Its a nice size but small enough that you get to interact with the other guests and find yourself hanging out with each other, which was important to me since I was a solo traveler. Even if your not traveling by yourself make sure you get to know the other guests, that was another part of why my trip was so amazing, the bar is a great place to do that! I don't need to look into any other hotels, X'tan Ha will be my home away from home.

Room Tip: All the rooms have pretty good views. If you have a "pool view" room in the center or on t...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank Morgan C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Wrightwood, California
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My husband and I visited for 9 days the 2nd week of June. What an amazing place to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary!! So much to brag about. This would be the 3rd draft I have typed out so so much to rave about. Decided to do in sections so I don't leave anything out.

GETTING THERE: The transfer from Tropic Air went smoothly best way to go.
Francis was a cool enough to personally tell us all about the Island and shore line as he boated us to X'Tan. We were greeted with a smile from Oscar some cold wet towels and a cocktail. Yum didn't take long to get to our room cuz BAM IT WAS RIGHT THERE :-) Loved our conversations with Oliver. Of all the peoples names to forget for the life of both my husband and I we cant remember your wife's name...we are so sorry. We did enjoy your company.

ROOM: Beautiful big porch. The entire room was spotless. Water was filled room was cooled down. Of course we got a lovely bed display with love bird shaped towels and little flowers and yummy dark chocolate. Always had hot water. Fridge worked great. Had delicious Caye coffee available. The maids were always ready and wiling to clean.

GROUNDS: The cleanest grounds I've ever seen. I didn't wear shoes the entire time I was there. Had a hard time putting them back on. The pool was clean and decently cool. But with a beach like that ...sorry who needs a pool?. Although it was great for an evening swim. X'Tan has the ONLY swimmable beach on the whole island. The ONLY beach you can walk out your front door and into the water. You can stand and float for hours before realizing how long you've actually been floating around in it. My husband topped 5hrs while I snorkeled and laid out. What a beach. To Saul....THANK YOU for your kindness and hospitality and special thanks for the fresh coconuts :-) Eddie you need a vacation, you were constantly working and moving luggage always with a smile.

NO WORRIES TOURS: Hill, Mario , Ellis.......thanks for the awesome time in the water. Hill thanks for getting Ken his antibiotics for his sore and ear you saved the trip. Mario the fishing and the lunch afterwards was lets say...OFF THE HOOK ;-) Ellis the snorkeling is something we will NEVER forget thank you for that :-) Giselle thanks for your help with the shirts and hats. Chavo we must scuba next year and hit the LOBSTER FESTIVAL. Until next year our new friends.

RESTAURANT: Temple Tavern. Not a bad thing to say. Every meal we ate was delicious. DJ the chef out did himself with every meal from breakfast, lunch to dinner good job. Loraine your Key Lime pie was amazing....so amazing we took a slice home every night after dinner for a late night snack yum. We have not yet tried to duplicate your delicious breakfast potato skins. Miss them terribly ;-( Joshua thank you for your everyday smile and your great attention to detail. You made eating at the Mayan a pleasure. Smokey thanks for keeping it "real" Maybe next year you can take my husband fishing with you "for real" ha thanks for the laughs. Alfred thank you for the tips on taking the road into town. Looking forward to the tour next year.

LOCATION: Although X'Tan is 7 miles away from town didn't bother us one bit. Why leave this beautiful resort when you basically have everything you need right there. This place is too relaxing to want to go anywhere else once you get there.

Hated leaving and having to put my shoes back on. Looking at plane tickets for next year.

Thank You, Everyone working at X'Tan for the awesome visit.

4 Thank fuzzywuzzy21
Anaheim, California
Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the resort in May and it was such an amazing fun time. The resort is beautiful and clean and the beach is perfect. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful Throughout the whole visit. The hotel has bikes you can ride around to visit local resorts or even other restaurants and it also has a beautiful pool relax after a long day on the beach. I would highly recommend this resort as it is beautiful and a lot of fun.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Charitysch
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed June 29, 2014

My hubby have been to Belize twice and stayed at X'Tan Ha Resort both times. We love this place, all of the rooms have a beautiful mahogany finish and are nice and quaint. We love this resort in particular because of the beach and their beach maintenance; X'Tan Ha has a "swimable" beach that is not consumed by seaweed like most of the other resorts in Ambergris Caye, plus they have employees that spend the time to rake the seaweed from the beach. Furthermore, X'Tan Ha has a variety of beach amenities; they have kayaks and paddles, paddle boat, paddle boards, a Hobie Cat sailboat for guests who can sail, supplies for playing water tennis (rackets/paddles and ball), a volleyball net in the ocean, and they even have a trampoline in the ocean! The have snorkel gear and life vests available to their guests as well, and all of the amenities I just mentioned are only available to guests staying on the resort, which I like since there may be a few people from other resorts at the awesome beach bar or coming to swim in the "swimable" ocean offered by X'Tan Ha. My husband and I like to take the kayaks out and snorkel near the reef. A few other things we like about X'Tan Ha is the restaurant, Temple Run Tavern, that they have on site. The chef, DJ, is amazing, and all of the servers are great but we loved having Alfred as our waiter. The resort has a very private feel, which we love. You can take a water taxi into town (San Pedro) to get a nice change of scenery. The resort also has bikes available if you want to travel along the beach yourself. Overall, X'Tan Ha is a fabulous place to stay and I would highly recommend it to anyone traveling to Belize. The managers are very nice and all of the staff are very helpful, friendly, and accommodating. It's one of the places were if you tell people you are staying at they say, "oh yeah that's a nice place." We would definitely stay here again for our next return to Belize.

Room Tip: Oceanview rooms are the best!
3 Thank Lindsey S
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We had an amazing time at X-tan Ha. It's a beautiful property with the best beach on Ambergris. They rake up all the sea grass regularly and there are large open areas for swimming wading and enjoying the pristine water, unlike many places on the Caye. They have great kayaks and paddle boards free for guests to use and it's an easy kayak out to Mexico Rocks where you can anchor or buoy the boat while you snorkel there. We were worried about the weather in June, but it rained for maybe 10 minutes and was then beautiful again. They have a great little bar over the water too, so if it does rain you can just go sit, order a banana and lime Daquiri (the freshest thing on the menu) and wait it out! The service was great and everyone was very friendly and accommodating. When we arrived I was expecting an upper level room with a view but we had been given a ground floor room with no view. Antonionini was very helpful in getting things switched for us without a problem. Eddie was also great helping with our bags and talking soccer while we waited. We were a little shocked by the prices of everything when we got there, but after paying to go into San Pedro in search of more affordable options were surprised that almost everything on Ambergris is expensive and X-tan Ha is very comparable. Downtown San Pedro is 7.5miles away, and will cost you and a companion 32 USD round trip to get there. I think X-tan Ha should have some sort of a shuttle service for less. But I don't know if they'd break even.... My suggestion is that you go by one of the grocery stores near the airport when you land in San Pedro and buy the necessities. Breakfast stuff, snacks for lunch time and LOTS of beer. They cost $1 at the store and $4 at X-tan Ha, mixed drinks are $12. The restaurant is pretty good, the service is excellent, and the burgers are awesome. But you'll probably tire of the food after a day or two. Mambas a few miles down the beach will come and pick you up and drop you off, but don't expect any cheaper prices, it's all expensive. All in all it was a great place to go an unwind and enjoy the gorgeous Caribbean! We really did LOVE our stay there.

• Stayed June 2014
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

My husbad and I recently stayed at X'tan Ha resort in Belize for 5nights as part of our honeymoon holiday.

We found the resort and it's staff to be fantastic. From grounds keepers to management the staff here are impressively patient, kind and professional. For us this is what made this stay so enjoyable.

The resort is set on one of the most beautiful beaches on Ambergris Cay. The apartments (with fridge, microwave, stove, a/c, TV etc.) are clean, comfortable, spacious and meticulously cared for.

We were picked up at the airport, tender was waiting, welcome drinks and a complementary bottle of champagne greeted us upon arrival.

Activities run by the resort are great. We spent a day spear fishing  (an incredibly difficult activity to take tourists). Mario and his brother did an awesome job and we had one of the best days of rour trip! Without harping on......... Manager Stacey and team, thank you for everything!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Just wanted to share with everyone how much we loved the whole experience. It started and kept building on the people of Belize. We were greeted at the boat dock by Winston from X'tan Ha. He proceeded to give us the rundown of the town and local food establishments. He then asked if we would like to take any groceries with us to the resort. He was very helpful and so was the store clerk. We went back to the boat and were taken out to the resort. When we pulled up it was beautiful. We were greeted, our bags and groceries were gathered by Sonny, who I don't think I ever saw not smiling the whole trip. We went to the office where we met Stacey. She was incredible. Within 5 minutes, we felt welcomed, at home, and confident if we needed "anything", they were going to take care of it. The resort was beautiful and quaint. The room was great, clean, comfortable, and nice. We went over to the restaurant and met Sharon. The food was great and she just smiled and made us laugh the whole time. Over the next few days, we met Alex and Tony at the bar and they were great, funny and helpful. We even had a little party one night watching the Spurs beat Oklahoma to advance. We are from San Antonio, so we were pretty excited. We met Rosita from the restaurant as well and she was equally as pleasant and nice. Kept running into Sonny and again, he would be smiling asking if we needed anything. Antonini at the front desk helped me coordinate some things, including a trip into town. One day we rode into town with some of the staff, Kurt and Matt with No Worries Tours. We were telling them how great everything was and and how impressed we were with all the people and he turned to me, smiled and said, "we are the front line of Belize". We thought that was so great and true. I really wish more people took that approach to things. In summary, nothing negative to say, we met some of the owners, they are great. Looks like they are expanding in the back. Great place, even greater people. We will definitely go back and probably take our kids. Thanks again X'tan Ha!! You truly provided us with a great vacation.

Room Tip: All of them are positioned really well. I would like to try the beach front. They are super close...