“Pretty good, definitely check to make sure you have everything”

Amigos Del Mar Dive Shop
More attraction details
Owner description: Established in 1987, Amigos Del Mar is a SSI and SDI resort facility which specializes in full-service diving, instruction, snorkeling, and fishing expeditions and is ideally situated in the heart of San Pedro Town. Our boats provide a convenient complimentary pick-up service at most of the island's major hotel docking establishments. We provide local diving expeditions on a daily basis starting with two dives at 9 am and two afternoon dives commencing at 1 pm. Night dives are also available upon request. In addition to the local diving excursions, trips to Belize's renowned offshore atolls including Turneffe, "The Elbow", Turneffe North, and The Great Blue Hole situated at Lighthouse Reef are also available. All offshore packages are full day excursions which consist of three dives and include continental breakfast, lunch, snacks, and drinks.
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Great dive great service. didn't dig the one dive master banging one that tank with the stick, and pointing at whatever with his finger, instead of using the metal clamp to bang the tank, and using the stick to point at whatever. and alway right up on my 3 and 6, couldn't really manuver. I hate hitting coral-especially as certified dive master, and I hit little coral 3 times. Thats accidental. Still no excuse. But I don't intentionally pick up sea cucumbers and poke spotted easels-it will be on my youtube vid when posted. also they busted my balls about the dive master rate-yet no ONE gets banged up when they dive with me, and not even a mask ring. You might have to remove your fins and have to be ready to plant your feet so listen to their dive briefing! In regards to gear- I lost a great Pelagic hoodie. I also lost my DAN sausage. Now they told me I wore it when I left. It was 80 degrees and theres no way in hell I'd wear that in that temp, cause the rum punch was great. My issue is they will tell you stuff you know isn't true. I thought my DAN sausage actually fell off my BCD on the last dive, yet they said they had it in the office. So they picked me up from Sapphire Beach resort, and knew where I was staying and the boat leaves 3 times a day and really close, yet no phone call, and they couldn't even run it out to the boat.. maybe a little professional courtesy would have been nice. Good price, and they make an awesome ceviche.. just make sure you all have your gear before the rum punch! the captain was awesome an knew his stuff-very important. I will be opening up a dive shop around/near sapphire beach resort, so no one will have to wake up at 4:5- for a 0500 pick up, and you will have all your gear when you leave! HA!

All reviews
"coconut pie"
in 11 reviews
"large boat"
in 15 reviews
"the red footed booby birds"
in 9 reviews
in 12 reviews
"marine life"
in 40 reviews

Reviewed January 27, 2014

We dove the local reefs with ADM 8 years ago and when we returned this year we did the day trip to The Blue Hole. My wife and I are experienced PADI AOW divers with more than 75 dives each at depths of up to 125 feet. We have done dives in Maldives, Mozambique, Bermuda, and throughout the Caribbean. That said, we dive to enjoy it, but we don't "Live to Dive!" like is often the case in the diving community. I love to breath Nitrox under pressure, but I also am perfectly happy breathing on the surface and I put safety and customer service above all else when choosing my dive operators.

Let me pause and say, there are many of you who may want to dive The Blue Hole who don't have any business doing it. It is a fun and awe inspiring experience, but it is also a very serious dive in my opinion. Doing this dive without adequate proficiency is a liability to yourself and those who are diving with you.

In spite of my comfort as a diver and someone who has been on the water and owned boats my entire life, I was intimidated by TBH. Edgar, the boat captain, and his crew did an excellent job at addressing my concerns with professionalism and utmost attention to safety! From the time we arrived at 5:30 am Edgar was in charge. The briefing he provided was thorough and addressed the potential for Narcosis at such depths. I felt safe going on my deepest dive yet in his company and admired his command of the crew.

The dive itself was great. We swam amongst the stalactites, saw reef sharks, saw drum fish, and safely returned to the surface with proper precautions.

The rest of the day we did two dives on lighthouse reef, and ate lunch on Half Moon Caye at the Audubon Park where some people got off on seeing red footed booby bird. Personally, I couldn't have cared less about the birds, but it made for a good distraction on a longer than usual surface interval.

On the ride home, Edgar and I had a great conversation that lasted nearly two hours. He shared stories with me about accidents he has witnessed, lives he has saved, his favorite dive sites, etc. In the middle of our talk I spotted a Manta Ray feeding underneath a floating grass bed and at my request he stopped the 62 foot boat and re-positioned it so that my wife and I could get in and snorkel with this magnificent creature! We have traveled half way around the world twice looking for Mantas unsuccessfully, but this was our lucky day. My battery on my Go Pro had died but a friendly diver onboard let me use his camera and I got to video the encounter I had always hoped for.

This was my long awaited moment and like I had been told before, it happened when I least expected it. If you dive, you know that nothing can be taken for granted and anyone who promises you an experience is taking a gamble of being wrong. I never thought I would see a Manta that day, and it was the icing on what will probably forever be stored in my memory as the best day I have ever spent underwater.

Thank you guys for your attention to every single detail and for making our trip to The Blue Hole perfect. I can honestly say I will be at peace with my diving accomplishments if I never put the regulator in my mouth again!

1  Thank bateau_fisherman
Reviewed January 24, 2014

On the only day I could go to Blue Hole, this was the only shop sending boat to Blue Hole. They have the largest boats on the island and this is important because it is really choppy getting out there. All the other dive shops just referred me to them. They did a very good job. Dive masters were very good and safe. Equipment was good too.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Spent the day (5:25 am pickup at my hotel) with the Amigos to dive the Great Blue Hole. Nice, new two level boat with 12 divers and about 10 snorkellers. While the weather was a little choppy heading out, once we reached the first group of islands, it got smoother

First dove 130' down the Great Blue Hole. Captain Edgar gave us a very clear dive brief. They split us into two groups of six, each with two dive masters. One diver wasn't comfortable going down, so she was given clear instructions on what to do. The rest of us went down the hole. It was just as they described and we even saw a bunch of Caribbean sharks in the distance. A beautiful spot.

Next we went to Half Moon Caye for our second dive. Lots of marine life to see, such as turtles, rays, more sharks. The best part was when the dive master speared the lionfish and fed them to the barracudas. The lionfish are the only undesired marine life in the park as they are non-native and are destructive to the environment. Plus, it makes a great show to the divers to hunt these predators and feed them to larger fish!

Lunch on the island was a pleasant surprise - local rice, beans, jerk chicken, potato salad and coconut pie. We had 30 minutes to visit the bird sanctuary to see the red footed booby birds.

Last dive was the Aquarium with lots of fish. The only strange thing was they fed the fish leftover rice and beans which I thought was a little unnatural.

Very safe dive practices, great equipment and well trained and friendly staff on the boat. While the water was rough, the three hours of dive time were spectacular and well worth it.

1  Thank KaanapaliD