“Really great experience”

Amigos Del Mar Dive Shop
More attraction details
Owner description: Established in 1987, Amigos Del Mar is a SSI and SDI resort facility which specializes in full-service diving, instruction, snorkeling, and fishing expeditions and is ideally situated in the heart of San Pedro Town. Our boats provide a convenient complimentary pick-up service at most of the island's major hotel docking establishments. We provide local diving expeditions on a daily basis starting with two dives at 9 am and two afternoon dives commencing at 1 pm. Night dives are also available upon request. In addition to the local diving excursions, trips to Belize's renowned offshore atolls including Turneffe, "The Elbow", Turneffe North, and The Great Blue Hole situated at Lighthouse Reef are also available. All offshore packages are full day excursions which consist of three dives and include continental breakfast, lunch, snacks, and drinks.
Reviewed January 5, 2014

If you are looking for a dive shop on Ambergris, you'll be very happy with Amigos del Mar. While it's not a super "warm & fuzzy" group, the staff is extremely competent and professional, and they make every effort to ensure your dive is safe, enjoyable and easy. Not only do they put all of your equipment on the boat (and remember what equipment is yours), they set it up, bring it to you before you roll/stride off the boat, and even help you put it on. In fact, they even wash your mask for you (which I've never seen before).

Not a huge downside, but I sometimes found the groups to be a bit big for one divemaster (though Tony - the divemaster who handles the local dives - does a fantastic job of keeping track of everyone) and on night dives you'll be in a much smaller group. (and speaking of night dives, be sure to do it when it Ambergris - one of my favorite dives ever)

Enjoy your trip!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I have been visiting Belize for over a month and the highlight of our full day trip was with Amigos Del Mars. My friends used other companies with some I mixed results, but this fine man made sure my grandsons had a safe and great experience as well as their parents. My grandson, age 13 caught six butter snappers just by himself! Our guide took us far south around the horn to catch various types of fish where we saw manatees, tarpons, and a school of dolfins.

He shielded us in a Mangrove swamp during a squall, then when the sun came out to a floating Fisherman' lair with lobster traps, diving for six conch. He cleaned the conch and let us taste it raw and it was like clams on the half-shell with a crunch! Delicious! He then barbecued the fish we had caught and the conch on the beach with potatoes, onions, tomatoes, green pepper, and spices. Then we went snorkeling near the reef and marine park. Jorge knows the marine life and told us the names of everything! We saw zebra stingrays and even a shark, but Jorge kept us all safe!

The only thing we missed was that the owner or manager told us cold water and beer would be furnished and the adults were disappointed that there was no beer on board. So do not believe what the sales people tell you or bring your own!

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We did 7 dives with Amigos Del Mar while in San Pedro and had a wonderful experience. The captain and dive masters take time and care to ensure you and your equipment are safe. The dive masters are very conscientious that all divers are ok under water and will go around to adjust equipment if need be and ensure all are ok. They are very good at spotting an array of sea life and knowledgeable the areas. We originally dove with them to see the blue hole and continued to dive with them for the remainder of our stay. Tony is the best!

Reviewed December 30, 2013

This review is in no way aimed at the awesome boat crew/boat captain/dive masters who made sure everyone aboard had a great experience.
This poor review is aimed at the older gentleman who runs and/or owns the dive operation. We made plans to be picked up at the dock near our condo at 5:30am and we were there promptly at 5:15am and waited until 6:45am and no one ever showed up. We even have pictures and videos time and date stamped to prove where we were. When we arrived at Amigos del Mar at 9:00am to discuss this with the gentleman, he insisted that we were not at the dock when were were told to be there and that a boat had gone by several times for us, and refused to look at the video for our proof. He was extremely rude and inconsiderate and basically called us a liars. Being our first time ever to visit Belize and not knowing if we will ever go again, making the trip to the Blue Hole was very important to us so we asked him about rescheduling. After a long silence he agreed to put us on the next day's trip but for a 20% extra charge for the fuel and trouble of us "not being there when we were supposed to". At this point my husband and I were so mad that we would have normally just walked out, found another dive operation to go with, and disputed the charges on our credit card. However, we soon also learned that all of our personal dive gear had stayed on the boat going to the Blue Hole. So, for fear of not seeing our gear again we agreed to reschedule for the next day AND therefore had to rent gear from another dive shop (the dive shop we were diving locally with) to be able to dive locally that day!! This man damn near ruined an entire day of our very special vacation for us and was not only unapologetic but insisted that it was our fault and charged us extra!! We will NEVER give any kind of business to Amigos del Mar again and highly recommend that anyone we know do the same!

5  Thank Surfer_Girl_1978
Reviewed December 28, 2013

My 33 year old son and I just spent a week diving with this shop.I have been certified since 1987 and have dived at many locations.My son was certified with this shop when we were there.The instructor , Marciano, was great.All of the dive masters and staff were great. We did 2 dives a day for 7 days, including the Blue Hole and a night dive.Everyone in this shop was friendly, professional and great fun.I have never had as good an experience in all my dives.Great boats and equipment also.Bruce Malkerson, Minneapolis.