“Highly Recommended for Blue Hole Trip”

Amigos Del Mar Dive Shop
More attraction details
Owner description: Established in 1987, Amigos Del Mar is a SSI and SDI resort facility which specializes in full-service diving, instruction, snorkeling, and fishing expeditions and is ideally situated in the heart of San Pedro Town. Our boats provide a convenient complimentary pick-up service at most of the island's major hotel docking establishments. We provide local diving expeditions on a daily basis starting with two dives at 9 am and two afternoon dives commencing at 1 pm. Night dives are also available upon request. In addition to the local diving excursions, trips to Belize's renowned offshore atolls including Turneffe, "The Elbow", Turneffe North, and The Great Blue Hole situated at Lighthouse Reef are also available. All offshore packages are full day excursions which consist of three dives and include continental breakfast, lunch, snacks, and drinks.
Reviewed July 23, 2011

First of all, they've got the right boat for it, but when we showed up in the morning and saw there were 26 other people on board, I was like- oh no!

I felt the service was excellent, they've got this trip down to a science; almost too much so- I felt a little rushed getting into and out of the water, but during the dives they relaxed (except on the actual Blue Hole dive when I was really checking out a shark and the guy was like- hey, you, go swim around this column thing now)- but they kept a close eye on our depth and time, so I felt completely safe-

Like I said, 26 people and 21 divers- I thought I was in for another zoo experience like on Koh Tao, but no, they split us up into 3 groups of 7, dropped each group in a slightly different part of the reef at staggered intervals, and other than what happens with a 7:1 ratio, with the less experienced bumping and kicking the more experienced, I never saw the other two groups under water. Also, once the DM was confident in me and my wife's abilities, we were allowed to drift away from the group and do our own thing (within eyesight and depth line).

The food was indeed excellent for lunch; waaaay better than the ham and cheese with mayo on white bread I got on the day trips in Mexico. Delicious chicken with slaw and some tasty rice along with coconut pie and the ubiquitous Tang. I think they went through at least 7 bottles of Rum for the Rum punch on the way back.

The only reason I don't give them a full 5 dots is because I had to go through 3 regulators before entering the Blue Hole dive before we found one that didn't leak- and I've read some reviews chaffing at their equipment. I don't think it's a big deal that I didn't get the same BCD for all three dives; though sharing a reg with an unknown each time is kinda icky- but I guess the salt and sun kill off any germs??

I did a couple local reef dives with them last October as well, and was satisfied with them then too, though I wanted a local reef dive this trip as well, and they weren't going out that afternoon so I got hooked up with Chuck and Robbie instead. Now, after diving with 3 companies in San Pedro I'd say Chuck and Robbie for local reef diving and Amigos for the Blue Hole trip. $250 seems a little steep, but with all the sharks and their service, the trip was totally worth it.

1  Thank walkingupstream

Reviewed July 22, 2011

Our trip of four adults, two of which were our children in their 20's was a three trip dive that included the Blue Hole. There were a total of about 20 customers aboard. My wife only snorkeled with three other folks in the group and had a fun time. Amigos del Mar's boat was approx 60 ft in length and a safe, new and seaworthy vessel. This was important as the trip out to the Blue Hole contained some choppy sea conditions. The other few companies who make the trip have much smaller open vessels that I do no recommend for this excursion. The boat Captain, 'Edgar Lima' is very experienced, knowledgeable and friendly.
It is an all day trip which includes breakfast and lunch. The first dive 'Blue Hole' drops down to 135 ft, while the last two are in the 45 ft depth range. It was an awesome experience for everyone.

1  Thank dindio
Reviewed July 4, 2011

I dove with Amigos del Mar 3 days ago. The boat is the best there is in San Pedro to go to the Blue Hole 56 feet, very comfortable. The DM are nice. Overall it is a purely commercial operation. They never requested my certification, you fill out the forms while you are on board ready to depart to a 150feet dive!!! They never counted the passangers after each dive. During the dive the DM never checked the air or the divers for problems. I would use them again to the blue hole but if you are a novice diver I would not go with them!!

1  Thank DiveTraveler71
Reviewed June 26, 2011

This tour operator was booked for me through another dive place that does not do the blue hole. Since the previous dive place was so good I trusted that who they would book for us would be decent too. Let me say this place is ran with disregard to safety!!!!

One the first dive my air tank was bad, so they switched me out while I was rigged up. I wanted to take off my bcd and check it but they rushed me and said no worries, they got it and I was holding everyone else up. Well guess what, 5 meters down and I was kicking my own tank!!!! Perhaps they should have taken the time to do it properly. I really don't like the fact I am not able to take the time to double check my own rigging!!!!

The equipment was old, with which I have no problem IF it is serviced properly. I strongly suggest renting equipment else where or bringing your own. First off my BCD wasn't up to par and I had a great deal of trouble getting the air to release from it. These people do not mark the equipment!!!! This resulted in someone taking my husbands unit down leaving him with a faulty regulator that was taking on water and not giving air all the time!!!! I guess someone else was tired of dealing with that reg and not having an octopus for safety and took his?! After trying all sorts of things underwater when he figured out the reg was faulty he wasted a lot of air making our dive drastically shorter! There is going to be a day where this is a bad accident with the company if they continue in this manner, had I read the other reviews about their safety on here I would have never went to the blue hole with amigos. What will it take for this company to get a clue??? I sure hope someone doesn't lose their life or get severely hurt.

A couple of ladies that came with us had computers. The dive master obviously was not paying much attention to the time of the second dive as the computers started to scream at us to make our way back up. What if these ladies had no computers, are people being let to stay down longer than they should? Are these dive masters not following the very important safety rules or just depending on others to pay attention for them?

Our dive master had little interest in his job and often stopped to pick dirt from his nails or scratch various body parts. At least we had a keen experienced diver with us that was able to spot and point our various fish etc. The crew never went out of the way to try to be informative or interact with the divers. Infact one dive master was more interested with killing lion fish for some sort of big competition he was in rather than giving a proper tour!

DONT BUY THE EXPENSIVE VIDEO they offer. I paid 60USD for a video that doesn't even work!!!! After writing the shop they responded a few days later to tell me they forwarded my complaint to the video guy. Several days later and still no word from the "video guy".

The only positive thing I can say about Amigos is that the food was good. I regret taking this trip with them, it was not worth the money and neither is my life!!!!!!!!!! I am an advanced diver and never have I ever dove with a company before that made me feel so disregarded and unsafe!!!!! I CAN'T STRESS ENOUGH, DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!! There are other options with better ratings.

5  Thank SnowPirate
Reviewed June 25, 2011

We just returned from Ambergris today and had a great experience with ADM. The weather this week wasn't great and consequently we didn't get to dive as much as we wanted. We were a group of 6, 3 of whom were teenage girls on their first post-certification dive trip and the other 3 of us hadn't been out in a long while. We did Hol-Chan and Shark Ray Alley as our first dive early in the week and Tiburon, Cypress Garden, Cypress Canyon and San Pedro Canyon later in the week. Juan and Luis were our Dive Masters and they were very attentive. They did a thorough safety pre-dive safety review on all our dives, checked everyone's gauges regularly and found lots of great things for us to see on the reef. The waves behind the reef were really rough and getting to the sites was a wild ride. The boat drivers were excellent and did their best to not beat us to death! A couple of us had problems with sea sickness and Juan made every effort to get us in the water and below the swaying asap and then out of the water and back on the boat as quickly as possible afterward. The girls were a little apprehensive and he did a great job of making it fun and making them feel confident. Between dives we went back to the shop and water and fruit was provided. We appreciated that the shop scheduled us with the same DM all week.

The only complaint I have is their rental equipment wasn't the best we've ever rented and their rental fins were all snorkel fins, not to be worn with booties. We just got bigger sizes and wore them with our booties anyway because it is more comfortable but we will haul our own next time! No concern about the integrity or safety of the equipment.