“Crazy Condo Owners at White Sands Cove”

White Sands Cove Resort
Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Grand Marais
“Crazy Condo Owners at White Sands Cove”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

The resort itself was quite lovely. We had a unit right on the beach and really enjoyed sitting on the deck. If the deck was a little bit larger then it would have been even better. The unit was spacious and clean and had everything we needed. The grounds were immaculate and two dogs, Chico and Chica, were the highlight of the trip.

We knew there wasn't a beach so that wasn't a big deal. We also knew it was a ways from town and that didn't bother us. We took the bikes into town, walked into town and really enjoyed the location and the bikes.

Happy Hour Tours located at the resort took us snorkeling a couple of times. He was fantastic! The snorkeling at Hol Chan and Shark Alley were well worth the trip.

The customer service was strange. New managers were there and they didn't seem too confident or knowledgeable. It also appeared there was friction between them and Doris the bartender. Doris was friendly once you got to know her but I can see how she may not appear friendly at first.

There were crazy condo owners staying while we were there and for about 5 days in a row there was major drama. A couple was fighting, screaming, slamming doors, swearing and acting completely inappropriately. The parents of the male half of the couple were there and the son of the couple(probably 3 years old). They were locking each other out of the room, keeping the boy from his mom and threatening each other. I felt like we should call the police numerous times, child protection services at other times and really considered leaving. The managers had no clue what to do so they did nothing.

Had it not been for the crazy condo owners and inexperienced managers it would have been a great place to stay.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Paddling_hiking_Gal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Oxford, Ohio
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I traveled by myself to Belize during Christmas in 2012. I chose White Sands because it was well-reviewed and not as expensive as some resorts, and I was very happy with my choice. The pool area and my condo were clean and neat (they look just like the pictures) and the condo was even quite pretty. I chose the garden room for the price and I was perfectly happy with it. The dogs barked a little one night, and the other reviewers are right about the beach, but there are plenty of ways to swim and snorkle. I really liked jogging on the beach path that runs in front of all the resorts -- it's a great way to check out the nearby restaurants and the other resorts. Doris at the bar was always helpful, as was Marlon. The dive shop folks were very accommodating, and got me set up with some other groups of people heading out. I recommend the Palapas bar -- beautiful views and lots of fun, all within walking distance of the resort.

Room Tip: Save money with the garden rooms; they are quiet and although they lack the ocean views, I didn'...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank m0irac
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 5 nights on the last part of our vacation in Belize. We enjoyed our stay at WSC and would love to go back. The rooms were clean and the staff were very attentive to our needs. The pool was clean and the grounds were well kept. The resort has bikes on site that are free for guests. We took the bikes to town for the day and it was a quick ride along the beach path. They also have kayaks for guests to take out for snorkeling at the reef. The tour guides that the WSC recommends/sets you up with are also Fantastic! Doris, who runs the pool restaurant is awesome! She was always going out of her way to make sure we were enjoying our stay. Chico and Chica were the cutest/friendliest dogs. We miss them! I highly recommend planning a vacation in San Pedro and staying at the White Sands Cove. We will definitely be back soon! Thank you!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bethesda, Md
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We spend a wonderful week at the White Sands Cove Resort. Ambergris Caye is a very long island. San Pedro, the town, is about two miles south of the resort. The resort is situated on a long quiet strip of each, dotted with other resorts, some small, some larger, and restaurants. There's a sandy path along the water on which one can walk or bike up and down the beach, visit restaurants, etc. The location is very good--quiet, peaceful, but accessible to places to go. One can take a water taxi (10 min) into town; we did this once. White Sands has a very good dive center, with dive and snorkel opportunities every day. We are snorkelers, and went out four times during the week with Bernabe, an energetic young dive instructor who was eager to show us everything beautiful underwater. Two of our trips we were joined by two other snorkelers, and twice Bernie took just the two of us out. I heard that there is another White sands dive shop that used to be affiliated with this one; this dive shop is just excellent. Don't mix them up.

The resort itself is very pretty, the units are nicely furnished and decorated. The accommodations are in a group of round, two-story buildings that surround a central swimming pool. At one end of the pool is a bar that serves lunch and dinner hosted by a lovely woman named Doris who becomes friends with all the guests. At the other end of the pool are a couple of thatched cabanas (roof no walls) with hammocks in them. There are chairs around the pool and down near the beach. The setup is so pretty, I hardly wanted to move from the resort. Also, the way the resort is laid out facilitates conversations among the guests--everyone talks to each other. Also, there are a couple of small dogs, Chico and Chica, who adopt all the guests who will pay attention to them.

The menu at the bar is good but not extensive; we ate there a few times but visited many other restaurants in town and up and down the beach. Several other restaurants are no more than a five minute walk away.

The only negative (if there is one) is that the swimming pool water was a bit chilly when we were there (early March). We also swam in the larger pools of a couple of nearby resorts. We would have lunch and swim--no one minded.

Room Tip: The second floor beach front units have wonderful views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Gabrielle55
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed at White Sands in Feb of 2013. At first sight, I was happy with the size of the resort, it's small and intimate--perfect for a peaceful beach vacation. All of the rooms are graced with either a balcony overlooking the ocean or the finely kept grounds. Our room was a beautiful 2 bedroom beach front condo that was perfect for our group. The pool is lovely and surrounded by lush foliage. There is a bar/restaurant on the grounds as well and the chef is incredible!! We ordered many different things from the menu such as fish and chips (the breading on this is very light, not heavy at all), chicken tacos and burritos, conch ceviche...etc. Everything we ordered was mouthwatering and delicious!
We also utilized the Dive Shop services and were very impressed when they took us out on a whole day tour of snorkeling, spear fishing and a really great Beach BBQ so we could taste all the fish we worked so hard to get (okay, maybe the dive shop guys speared a little more than we did). The hospitality of White Sands Cove was the best by far. We were greeted by the managers of the resort as soon as our taxi entered the grounds. I felt like a VIP guest! The staff was attentive to our needs from assuring we got on the tours we wanted to putting away our groceries for us when we arrived! I would go back to White Sands Cove in a second. It was the perfect little getaway ---- so peaceful, blissful, but a lot of fun when we wanted it to be! Thanks White Sands Cove employees for a job well done! :) We'll be back!!

Room Tip: Love the rooms that are on the top floor because you have a good view of the ocean and the grounds!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Clorinda W
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at the White Sands Cove Resort for 10 days. It's a great condo/hotel. The pool really makes a difference, and having the dive shop on-site is great. One of the dive shop's guides, Bernie, deserves special mention - he's great!

The web site's map "suggests" that the White Sands is closer to San Pedro than it really is (however, the distance estimate is correct).

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs, as the A/C unit is noisier than most (we were in B2). Nevertheless, we got lots of...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights over Christmas 2012 and was very disappointed with the whole place. Received some fantastic hospitality in Belize but WSC was not one of those places. I could really go on about how I disliked this place but that would take way too long so I will try and keep to the facts. Arrived late in the evening on a water taxi. Beach is not accessible from resort, there is a sea wall in front and there is about 6 foot of rubbish washed up against the wall around the resort. We got checked in by Marlon (the not very friendly manager), got settled in our room and put all of our stuff away. We decided to go into town for dinner so my husband was taking a shower first. Water went cold after 1 minute in the shower, water stayed cold for the remainder of his shower. I did not have a shower. We left for dinner and decided to let Marlon know about the shower. He was very inconvenienced by our news and proceeded to tell us that we could either change room or wait for the plumber who will be there the next morning but will not be checking our shower until he does his other jobs like cleaning the pool and raking the sand first (Yes, every morning they rake the sand, while 6 feet of rubbish lies in front of the sea wall a few feet away). I wanted to be able to have a shower so we decided to change rooms. We did not receive any apology for the problem or the inconvenience of having to pack up all of our stuff and move it all from one end of the resort to the other. Marlon did not even offer to help us move our bags. When we eventually got our stuff moved it was too late for dinner and my husband and I were starving and really pissed off. I took a shower at the new room and the very same thing happened, the water was warm for 1-2 minutes and then freezing cold for the rest of the shower. The next morning I informed Marlon that the same thing happened with the shower in the new room. He did not really seem to care and just kept saying that they have no problems with the hot water. His attitude just got worse really, he was unapologetic, arrogant, annoyed, and unprofessional. I really think this guy is in the wrong job. Our first impressions were ruined and we really felt like the resort was very overpriced and outdated. We did not mind having to do without hot water, the point is that this resort advertises itself as a luxury resort and it does not even have hot water!!!! There is also very little privacy and the bottom cottages can hear all of the noise above them. San Pedro is a beautiful Caye and there are way better accommodations for way less money. This place is also a time share, I would not have booked if I had known before, very overpriced, very basic, very unfriendly, bikes were never available when needed. We had a fantastic time everywhere else in Belize, the people are fantastic, this place is not a true representation of the genuine hospitality the exists everywhere else in the country. I really felt like we were ripped off staying here.....

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple