We spend a wonderful week at the White Sands Cove Resort. Ambergris Caye is a very long island. San Pedro, the town, is about two miles south of the resort. The resort is situated on a long quiet strip of each, dotted with other resorts, some small, some larger, and restaurants. There's a sandy path along the water on which one can walk or bike up and down the beach, visit restaurants, etc. The location is very good--quiet, peaceful, but accessible to places to go. One can take a water taxi (10 min) into town; we did this once. White Sands has a very good dive center, with dive and snorkel opportunities every day. We are snorkelers, and went out four times during the week with Bernabe, an energetic young dive instructor who was eager to show us everything beautiful underwater. Two of our trips we were joined by two other snorkelers, and twice Bernie took just the two of us out. I heard that there is another White sands dive shop that used to be affiliated with this one; this dive shop is just excellent. Don't mix them up.
The resort itself is very pretty, the units are nicely furnished and decorated. The accommodations are in a group of round, two-story buildings that surround a central swimming pool. At one end of the pool is a bar that serves lunch and dinner hosted by a lovely woman named Doris who becomes friends with all the guests. At the other end of the pool are a couple of thatched cabanas (roof no walls) with hammocks in them. There are chairs around the pool and down near the beach. The setup is so pretty, I hardly wanted to move from the resort. Also, the way the resort is laid out facilitates conversations among the guests--everyone talks to each other. Also, there are a couple of small dogs, Chico and Chica, who adopt all the guests who will pay attention to them.
The menu at the bar is good but not extensive; we ate there a few times but visited many other restaurants in town and up and down the beach. Several other restaurants are no more than a five minute walk away.
The only negative (if there is one) is that the swimming pool water was a bit chilly when we were there (early March). We also swam in the larger pools of a couple of nearby resorts. We would have lunch and swim--no one minded.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away among tropical fauna and turquoise waters, White Sands Cove Resort sits 2.5 miles north of San Pedro, on the Island of Ambergris Caye. Just off the coast of Belize, our cozy boutique resort is tastefully defined by its unique balance of tranquility and adventure. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Odigeo and Travelocity so you can book your White Sands Cove Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- White Sands Cove Hotel San Pedro
- Hotel White Sands Cove
- White Sands Cove Resort Belize/San Pedro