“Inconvenient”

Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Houston
“Inconvenient”
Reviewed August 21, 2008

The resort was beautiful; the rooms were very clean and tastefully decorated. It was a very serene place with a beautiful view. However...this is not the place to stay if you crave convenience. There is no restaurant/food of any kind and only a tiny four person bar. It is very last place to stay at the end of the island, so those who stay there should be prepared to spend plenty of cash on taxis and golf cart rentals. The golf carts were cute for a bit, but then the bumpy, dusty (not to mention very creepy at night) journey gets quite cumbersome. All of which you must endure to get as much as a sandwich. Finally, the rooms were not stocked with any essentials (soap, shampoo, coffee, coffee filters, etc.)

Again, the place is beautiful and ideal for a couple that wants complete isolation and peace and quiet.

Other than the lack of convenience, I rated this experience lower than usual because of the service. The resort is apparently owned by a family who were not only not friendly, but virtually non-existent throughout our stay. We relied on the other guests or owners to find out what to do and where to go.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Zebra88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Norman, OK
Reviewed August 19, 2008

When we arrived in San Padro at the airport, we were picked up by 2 taxis to take us to the resort. Upon arrival at Pelican Reef, Lori was waiting for us. She was extremely pleasant and helpful. She had secured a 6 seater golf cart for us, showed us to our rooms and around the property, filling us in on everything we needed to know. We rented 2 villas for the week, both were beachfront and extremely nice. Villas were equipped with everything needed including daily maid service. We did the zipline/cave tubing with Suya, diving with Amigos. Both companies took very good care of us. We loved driving the golf cart into town each evening for dinner and shopping. Our favorite place for dinner was Sunset Grill. We never felt unsafe, even at night driving back to the villas. All the locals were helpful and friendly. I would highly recommend Pelican Reef Villas. Everyone at the resort were extra nice. We are already talking about how much we miss the people there, the relaxing beach and everything else.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank KathyMiller
San Francisco
Reviewed August 18, 2008

We just returned from an 8 day stay in Pelican Reef Villas. Loved it!

PROS:
Staff are very friendly and will go out of their way to help you. Made us feel very welcome- cannot stress this enough. I booked over phone and was in email contact w/Lori before our arrival. She booked our flights from Belize Int. to Ambergris and had a taxi waiting to pick us up at the airport also made sure that everything we wanted (golf cart etc) was ready when we arrived. Let us settle into our rooms and enjoy a complimentary drink before checking in- really nice. Throughout our entire stay the staff helped us with everything we needed. 5 stars for customer service :-)
We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa which was well furnished- dishwasher, washer/dryer, new kitchen, comfortable living room, 2 tv's, water always warm, no problems with a/c and had wireless access.
Our villa had 2 balconies with a beautiful view of the ocean.
Beautiful private beach. Snorkels, beach towels, kayaks available free of charge. Artificial reef under the dock so you can see lots of fish.
Staff will organize tours for you and you usually meet your tour at the end of the dock- very convenient. Also we really liked the tour operators that they used.

LOCATION:
About 1 1/2 miles outside San Pedro. We really loved that the location was peaceful and not near town (if you want to be in the middle of things this is not the place for you). Rented a golfcart for the whole trip and took that into town whenever we wanted (10 min drive). The road to town is very bumpy but for us that was all part of the fun. Also for boat tours we were the last to be picked up and the first dropped off- perfect!

CONS:
This is primarily a family/couples resort and they do have some full time residents. Wouldn't recommend it for young singles.
You will be staying in a villa not a hotel room so expect to bring some things with you- laundry detergent, dish soap, paper towels etc. Also housekeeping is good- but again not at hotel level.

Overall, I would highly recommend it. Again, the staff were amazing, the property beautiful and we had a great time!

• Liked — Friendliness of staff. Beautiful beach. Very comfortable villa.
  • Disliked — Nothing :-)
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Kemah, Texas
Reviewed August 8, 2008

The condominiums at pelican Reef are meticulously maintained and acceptionally well appointed. The concierge services are incredible and the resort bar is a fabulous place to relax at the end of the day.

• Liked — CLean, friendly, helpful with concierge
  • Disliked — Further from town than some places
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank clack-clack
Texas
Reviewed July 27, 2008

The Pelican Reef Villas Resort was a very beautiful condo unit, decorated very tastefully with a spectacular view of the water. The staff was very accommodating and treated us like old friends. The owners were so friendly and were always ready to help with any activity suggestion. The resort is a close and pleasant 15 minute trip to San Pedro by golf cart. We had a wonderful week and enjoyed every minute. We hope to go back again someday and will definitely choose the Pelican Reef!
Joyce and Kevin Malatek
Junction, TX

• Liked — Friendly atmosphere and closeness to town
  • Disliked — No bar food and early shut down of bar in the evening
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank rollinrranch
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 23, 2008

We just returned from a 10 night stay at Pelican Reef Villas.
My husband and I were with our two teenage boys. I originally had booked Belize Legacy, but decided we needed easier access to town. We changed our reservation and it was the best decision we could have made.

From the minute we arrived we were made to feel like we were at "Home". We reserved a 3 bedroom villa that was directly in front of the Caribbean Sea. It was magical. At night, you can see the Tarpon and Rays swimming around the dock. Very cool.

What makes Pelican Reeff different? The owners, Joe and Rhonda, their daughter Lori and Greg, and their wonderful staff. Even though there are other guests at the property, you are made to feel like you are the center of attention. Anything you need is instantly the focal point of attention. Obviously, I must mention Eliazar and Ceasar. They were so helpful from planning our day trips to where to eat at night. I wanted to cook a special dinner while we were there and Eliazar told me about The Sausage Factory. The pork and sausage were some of the best we have ever had! The pool and bar is the main place to relax and meet other guests. We were fortunate to have met some really great new friends. Whether we gathered in the morning to have coffee and check email or in the afternoons for a drink, it was always a great time!

We went to Shark Ray Alley twice, a day with Hilly Boo, fishing and and beach barbeque, We went with Oliver to snorkel with the manatees, fishing and another beach lunch, and the boys went back with Hilly Boo deep sea fishing. All of our trips were great and I felt completely comfortable with all of our guides. They picked us up at the Pelican Reef dock and returned us safely every time.Since we had never been to Ambergris Caye before, it was nice ot have piece of mind and not worry about anything....

We always were very pleased with the restaurnat recommendations from Eliazar and Ceasar. We loved Sunset Grill and Blue Water Grill. Carumba and Elvi's were great too! We were always given a great table and treated like royalty. Fido's Sand Bar was great, right on the beach, good food and always good company.

If I can make an impact on anyone considering Pelican Reef, I hope this will help. I always looked forward to getting back to the property. Our villa did feel like home. It was always clean and our towels were washed daily. The staff is amazing, the property itself, paradise! My boys loved to run on the beach and play with India and Buddha, the lovely dogs. I can't forget "Paco", our favorite parrot. The dock and water is like a picture out of a magazine. It was truly magical...

We did rent a golf cart and that was really fun! By the end of our stay, I had restaurant and shop owners waving to me as I rode by...we became familiar in town. Everyone is so nice.

On the day we departed, I was nervous about traveling. When we got to Maya Air, I thought I had left my wallet in the villa. Eliazar tried frantically to find it for me. We had Carlos, the driver, call back to see if they had seen it. I actually did have it with me, I had put it in my laptop case....Eliazar called us at Maya Air to see what was happening. He really cares about his guests. I felt bad to make him scramble like that.

You will experience an unprecedented level of sevice at Pelican Reef Villas. It is our new Home away from Home.
We will return as soon as we can! It was a great vacation.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Tonigirl43
Maryland
Reviewed July 9, 2008

Wow!! We just got back from Pelican Reef Villas for a week long vacation. It was a vacation unlike any previous one I have been on. In total there was nine of us on this vacation ranging from early twenties to fifties. The accommodations are top notch along with the staff. Eliazar and Ceasar are truly fantastic in accommodating any needs one might have. We arrived on June 28, 2008 to find Lori waiting for us to arrive; we were ushered to our rooms where we were able to clean up from a long day of travel before we checked in. After check-in we were given a complimentary drink and enjoyed a wonderful night by the pool and on the dock enjoying the sunset.

A golf cart rental is a must for this resort. Town is roughly 15-20 minutes on golf cart; however, some of the sights make it very interesting. The lagoon with the crocodiles is AWESOME. I have never been that close to a crocodile in my entire life and don’t think I will again. The kids do request a tip for luring the crocodiles into land; however, it is cheaper than going to a zoo.

We stayed in 2-2A and found the accommodations very nice. Some things to bring with you include laundry detergent and dish soap. The cleaning staff comes everyday, however, it would have been nice to have soap on hand.

The food was fantastic; we ate at Fido’s Sandbar, Fido’s (not the same), Blue Water Grill, and Wild Mangos. The pibil at Fido’s was remarkable and the service was top notch, I highly recommend this restaurant. The owners kept the restaurant open for us to enjoy many Belikins and some beach bowling, you could not ask for a nicer couple.

Overall, this was a remarkable vacation. Pelican Reef lived up to the pictures and reviews and the staff were incredible. If you are going to Ambergris Caye these are the condos to stay at.

• Liked — Pool and Bar
  • Disliked — Chairs
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family