“We’d Love To Stay There Again”

Pelican Reef Villas Resort
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed September 13, 2013

When the taxi let us out at the Pelican Reef, we stood staring past the pool to the palm tree-framed view of the Caribbean. In that moment, we felt that we had just been dropped off in Paradise. Then, we were given tropical drinks and things got even better.
We loved being at the Pelican Reef. We loved the quiet beach. The food was unusually good, especially for a hotel. We appreciated that the staff was just as happy delivering the food to our condo as having us come downstairs. We were grateful to have laundry, and a condo with a lot of space.
There were a few things we didn’t like. The most important to us was the thinly woven curtains that let the early morning Caribbean light pour into the bedrooms. We started sleeping with t-shirts or hand towels by our pillows, so we could cover our eyes when the sunlight woke us at dawn. The other was that, in our condo, the master bedroom,which was upstairs, didn’t have a door, or any curtains at all across the large picture window. Both the morning light and downstairs noise were problems. Also, the bathtub and shower were in the bedroom, not in a separate bathroom. Anyone walking up the stairs (again, there wasn’t a door) had a full view of both.
Still, we liked the hotel so much that the pluses easily outweighed the minuses. We hope to stay there again, but maybe in a different unit.

Room Tip: Ask if the master bedroom has a door, and if is open to the downstairs or closed off. Also, ask if...
1  Thank Windcurrent

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We visited Ambergris Caye mid August and stayed at the Pelican Reef Villas. We had an awesome experience. The staff helped us upgrade to a 3 bedroom unit which suited our two adult children much better than the 2 BR unit we had booked. Our unit was gorgeous. The master suite had a very comfortable bed, jacuzzi tub, and a sitting area with views to die for. The kitchen/family room/dining room was spacious and comfortable. And the big plus was the washer and dryer in the room. Made it easy to pack light.

The staff here is great at taking care of your needs. A full cooked to order breakfast is included in the price and it is EXCELLENT with gluten free options, fresh juice and unlimited coffee. You can purchase lunch here as well but they don't serve dinner. They will serve you by the pool, your room or on the beach....you choose. They have a great bar (which can be accessed on pool side as well). There is a little beach hut at the pool area that you can book your activities, get fresh beach towels, and they even have a supply of bug repellent and sunscreen. We used bug spray every day and didn't have a problem with the little buggers.

Pelican Reef Villas is about 3 miles south of San Pedro.The huge plus for you snorkelers is that it is very close to the hole chan/shark ray alley. You will be the last group to be picked up from the dock and the first to be dropped off after your snorkel excursion (which this one was the highlight of our trip...not to be missed!!) It only cost $40 US person from this area as well so don't do this trip when you are on the north side as it will cost you quite a bit more and will be a much longer boat ride. it literally is only 10 minute boat ride from Pelican Reef. Then rent a golf cart for when you want to go into town, it is soooo easy. The staff at Pelican Reef Villas make arrangements for you. They have free bikes and kayaks to check out as well. We liked taking bike rides to THE BAKERY...awesome cinnamon rolls and baked goods.

We were very impressed with how quickly Pelican Reef staff could book us on trips. My husband and son wanted to go bone fishing and a few hours later they were picked up from the pier. We wanted to be free and easy and PRV helped us book tours as we felt up to it. They have so many connections and they would call around to find the tour that fit our needs and get a fair price. (Believe me, I checked and I couldn't get a better price going direct). I saw another reviewer say PRV steered only to certain vendors or just Belizian owned as if this was a negative....don't understand what they are talking about as the vendors that were recommended to us were top notch and for goodness sake, when you're in Belize wouldn't most of the businesses be locally owned?!!.

a family we met at PRV recommended we go on the ACES crocodile tour and we are so glad we did. I just saw on trip advisor that they have just moved into the #1 attraction in San Pedro. I still liked Hol Chan/Shark Ray alley best but ACES was awesome too and like being on a Steve Erwin show. It was fun to be up on the North side of the island and have dinner at the Palapa Bar before going on the night excursion with ACES.

There is so much to do on ambergris Caye and Pelican Reef Villas is an awesome property to stay at....you will not be disappointed. We are fairly picky travelers, have been to Fiji, Hawaii, Costa Rica, and PRV rates up there with one of our favorite places to stay with gorgeous accommodations!

4  Thank faith716
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We just returned from a girls trip to celebrate a friend's birthday. It was a fabulous trip made amazing with Pelican Reef Villas Resort. We were immediately greeted by Carol, a warm hearted, outgoing, always smiling and very resourceful/knowledgeable woman. You immediately know you are in the right place. You are then introduced to Ruth for a more than needed complimentary customary rum punch or beer. Ruth is outgoing, heart warming and makes you feel like she's your best friend who was just gone for a while. Her laugh is contagious. Both women take the time to make you feel welcome, comfortable and that all your needs are met while orienting you to the beautiful resort.
The villas are beautiful and comfortable, a home away from home. We stayed in a 3 bedroom villa, sprawling and beautifully decorated. Our villa was situated directly down the pier looking out to the Caribbean Sea. The water incredibly blue and serene.
The kitchen in the villa is well stocked and beautifully appointed with granite counters and steel appliances. Every morning coffee is offered at the pool and you must bring your own mug from your kitchen, but they also stock some in your room with creamer. We made use of kitchen, stocking the fridge with booze and food, occasionally cooking lunch or dinner that was bought from the local Super Buy Market or roadside market.
The bathrooms were clean, well stocked and beautifully appointed. Jacuzzi bath tubs, glass block showers and granite counter tops. Julie and Juliana were very meticulous when cleaning up after our messes in both the bathrooms and kitchen. Plus sweeping the entire living and dining area.
Highly recommend eating at the beautiful Hidden Treasures! Gorgeous!! Jass is the perfect server. She is sweet and fun. Our first night, My best friend and I met before the other girls flew down and were exhausted hungry and sick of planes. We are somewhat prissy and picky about our food and surroundings. We just wanted food! Jass picked us up and we were more than pleasantly surprised when we arrived. She gave us the specials as we drove and already had an idea of what we wanted to eat, but were so in awe of the beauty of this place, we had to take a little more time. We loved it so much, we had to take the other girls back there the following night to eat and Carol called ahead to let them know we were coming. They offer the service of picking you up and dropping you off. So happy to use that service! When they found out it was a celebration of one of the girls birthday's, they dressed up our table and sang to her, turning down the lights and serenading us with a one man band. It was so fun! Hidden Treasures truly is a hidden treasure! Don't miss out on this beauty!
We took advantage of a few of the excursions, going in the off season, it was perfect! We snorkeled at Hol Chan Marine with lil'Alfonso. He was a fantastic, personal and very informative guide. I was very nervous about getting in the water at first, and he was amusing about it, being pushy but funny. Once in, I was fine and intrigued with our underwater adventure. He really took the time to talk about the different aspects of the ocean, the eco system and point out the various underwater life. He then took us to Shark/Ray Alley. That was invigorating and exciting. Watching and touching sharks, being so close to stingrays, amazing! Because of it being the off season, we had limited competition with other tours and were able to take time at our own pace to enjoy the reefs.
We also took the advantage of experiencing the zip lining and cave tubing in Belize. It was an all day excursion, but worth the day! Because again of limited times due to off season, we were the only people to zip line, having one on one guides. It was VIP treatment all the way! It might have been a little questionable in the vehicles getting there, but the drive was worth it. The guides took the time to really explain the aspects of the jungle and a little info to help with survival, umm don't think I'll be stranded alone in the jungle, but thanks guys!
Miguel, so adorable, was our cave tubing guide for my friend and I. Our bug spray had worn off by the time we had set off for the journey and we had begun to get eaten alive. He took the time to run back, get his spray and share it with us. So sweet! Our journey was supposed to be 1 1/2 hours long, he actually took us for 2 1/2 hours, taking us way up the river and deep into crystal cave. We saw pottery and ash from 800 AD! We had such a great time with him, walking and swimming through the cave, oh, and falling on our faces, but that was our own fault, not the guides. Make sure you were clothes you can hike, swim and tube in! Don't forget the tip money! I was glad I stuck more cash than I originally thought of taking to tip all our guides.
More on the resort, Pelican Reef Villas resort manager Greg is very personable and easy to talk with. We spent many hours chatting and talking about different aspects of the island, what it's like to raise a family there and live there as an American. The other grounds staff are helpful, personable, always smiling and always calling out your name. They are quick to grab you a towel or a cushion for a chair, prepare a kayak or a bike (which are complimentary of the resort) or just chit chat with you.
I just can't say enough about Carol and Ruth, it was sad leaving them. I felt like I had truly made new friends. I met Linda later in the trip and she was just as lovely and sweet, but I didn't get to bond with her as much as Carol and Ruth. I'm looking forward to my return with my husband and my friend and her significant other, plus maybe another couple or two. I really want my husband to meet this wonderful group of people.
The resort is the most southern one on the island and unfortunately the roads were like that of the backwoods in a muddy, ruddy, hole infested amusement park. We rented a golf cart and always had a great time, or as we called it- experience- as we headed into town! Greg said this was the worst he had seen it and that they do come out and grade the road, we just unfortunately saw the worst of it. It made me laugh and we tried at one point to see how many times we could get our butts to lift off the seat. Live life like it's always an adventure!
I would highly recommend Pelican Reef. The pool was beautiful, the people were more than friendly and welcoming and the resort comfortable and serene. Thanks Carol, Ruth, Greg and Linda and everyone else for making our trip memorable and absolutely wonderful!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jeanine A
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My wife and I had an amazing week at Pelican Reef. From the moment you arrive and everyone greets you by name until the moment you leave the staff does everything they can to make sure your vacation is perfect. The villas are clean, comfortable and well furnished. The breakfasts and lunches were delicious (get ready to get addicted to hot sauce) and the drinks were plentiful. I can't say enough about the staff! Friendly, helpful and entertaining. Can't wait to see them again!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Pelican Reef Villas was the ideal place for us to spend our honeymoon. We had a fantastic time. The staff (especially Carol and Ruth) bent over backwards to make our trip wonderful. Some of the things that we really appreciated were:
-Because of a missed connection, our luggage did not arrive in Belize City with us. After an excruciatingly 3 hour long wait in the Belize customs area, we were exhausted when we arrived at the San Pedro airport. A Pelican Reef driver was there waiting to pick us up, even though our flight was delayed! When we arrived, the staff told us that they would take care of coordinating the delivery of our bags - and they did! We could start to enjoy ourselves without worrying about that. Our bags were in our room by the next evening.
-I had mentioned offhand in my email to Pelican Reef that it was going to be our honeymoon. Upon arrival, completely free of charge (and unexpectedly), we received an upgrade to the 3 bdrm villa. This was really a special touch. This room includes 3 showers, a jacuzzi bath, 3 beds, 2 TVs, 3 balconies, washer/dryer and many other things. More than one would ever need for a honeymoon, but nonetheless fantastic to have.
-We purchased the "Romantic Escapades" package, and the staff included a bottle of champagne with glasses, beautifully presented on the bed, along with copious amounts of fresh flowers.
-Carol and Ruth took care of organizing our excursions that were included with our package. Because of the off season, certain events had to be rescheduled, but they made sure that we were able to do all the trips we wanted to.
-My wife and I definitely appreciated the complementary bike rentals that are available for guests to use.
-The room we had was fantastic for its ocean views.
-The kitchen was great to have, and we made a few meals for ourselves by buying food from town. The kitchen was completely stocked with all the cooking tools you would need.
-The breakfasts (ordered a la carte every morning) were a great way to start the day. The banana pancakes are amazing.
-We really enjoyed the dock and the mini-reef that is available for swimming and snorkeling. This was a good way for us to get used to snorkeling before going out to the Hol Chan Marine Reserve (which, by the way, is a definitely a must to see).
There were so many other things that were wonderful, too numerous to mention. Suffice it to say we will definitely return to Pelican Reef when we come back to San Pedro.
If there is any criticism of Pelican Reef (and this has nothing to do with the staff), is that the resort is located a bit far from everything - it is one of the most southern resorts on the island. It is about a half hour bike ride from San Pedro. However, that could be an advantage if you enjoy having some privacy. All in all, a wonderful place, wonderful people and we'll be back for sure.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Went there for a family vacation, had a great time. The hotel is actually villas that are rented out. Our villa was extremely nice, clean, spacious, marble and luxury all around. Our younger son said he could easily live there! Everyone was extremely helpful and accommodating, with the feeling that you are part of the family. I guess this is the culture of the whole country - all the people we met were extremely friendly and easy-going, but organization is British - all the flights left on time, cabs were waiting where and when they were supposed to etc. San Pedro is on an island so if you want to go to the mainland (we did zip-lining and cave-tubing), you have to take a 15 min flight or a 1 1/2 hour boat ride. We rented out a boat for a day with Captain Oliver (from the hotel) and I absolutely recommend this. We snorkeled - best snorkeling in the West hemisphere; swam with the manatee, fished, visited Caye Caulker. He is pretty open to whatever you want to do. He let the kids spearfish - best time of their lives (mind you, they are older kids...) Then they cooked the catch and we ate it at a remote island. You have to book him in advance, he is pretty busy.
3 disadvantages to the place - 1) No dinner - you have to get out or order. Since the hotel is not in San Pedro proper, you have to take a cab or rent a golf-cart. Everyone rides in golf-carts around the island, they are available at the hotel, the kids drove us and had a blast. There is a choice of very decent restaurants in San Pedro or on the way, and the food is delicious. 2) The beach is small and suntanning by the pool is limited. Sea is very shallow by the beach and mostly walled off with stones but you can swim if you go out on the pier. With all the activities we did, I did not think that was such a big minus. 3) Lots of flies. No mosquitoes in the hotel but don't go out of it at dusk or dawn... The hotel, and most other places provide mosquito repellent, which I thought was really nice. All in all, this is not a 5 star resort but for people with some sense of adventure it is a great experience. Thank you, Pelican Reef Villas!

Room Tip: Discuss it online with Greg the manager before you book. He is really helpful.
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We chose Pelican Reef Villas for our destination wedding. Everyone at this resort was so nice and accommodating that you never waited or wanted for anything. I feel like we made friends with the entire staff and even the guests....everyone was so nice. Our villas was super nice and huge.....fully stocked with everything we needed. The food was amazing! We had breakfast and lunch at the resort everyday and everything we ate was exceptional. We were given a private dinner for two one of the nights we were there and the set up and food blew us away.....the most deliciously prepared fish we have ever eaten. On the day of our wedding a tropical storm blew in but the staff at the resort stayed very positive and kept me informed every step of the way (I admit I was freaking out and falling apart). They kept telling me it was going to be ok and that it would still be a beautiful wedding.......and it was. The rain stopped just before the wedding and they were able to set everything up quickly and we had an amazing ceremony. I can't say enough good things about Pelican Reef and we can't wait to go back and visit. The beaches are beautiful and the food was amazing at every restaurant we visited. I love the short trip into town and I love that the mode of transportation is golf cart. Everything is so laid back on this island and that is how life should be lived. Thank you guys so much for giving Cody and I an amazing vacation, wedding and honeymoon. See you soon!!

Cody and Diana Brown

Room Tip: Every room has a beautiful view but beach front is the way to go.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple