“Wedding & vacation of our dreams, complete perfection.”

and 1 more site!
Pelican Reef Villas Resort
Ranked #4 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Marlborough, Connecticut
“Wedding & vacation of our dreams, complete perfection.”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

It is challenging to put into words exactly how flawless our experience was at Pelican Reef Villas. It was about a year ago that we made the decision to bypass traditional wedding plans and started our search for the perfect destination wedding. On a complete whim I typed Belize into Trip Advisor and this resort caught my eye. We hadn’t even put Belize on our option list but as I looked through the photos and more importantly started reading the reviews, I was instantly 100% sure that this was our destination; so sure, in fact, that we immediately stopped searching and sent the link to family and friends with a note that said “get your passports.” We booked our December 2011 wedding and from the planning process to our arrival and departure, every step of the way was confirmation that we made the perfect decision. Lori’s assistance and guidance throughout the planning process made it seem like we were planning an event across the street, not thousands of miles away in another country. Every question was answered promptly and her suggestions were appropriate and incredibly helpful. It was also reassuring to know that she understood our style, what we liked or didn’t like, and interpreted so accurately our descriptions of how we envisioned our wedding. To think that we chose every detail from a distance- from food and cake choice to the sash color on our chairs seems insane, but we were able to do so with complete peace of mind through the incredible trust and attention to detail of the team at Pelican Reef.

Our group was made up of 16 friends and family members who all traveled from the U.S. to join us for this amazing experience. Many of our guests are true world travelers, and I can’t count how many times they remarked that Belize, and specifically this resort was by far their best vacation experience. Most of our guests spent 5 days, with our wedding falling in the middle of their stay on a Saturday afternoon. My husband and I were fortunate enough to stay for 11 days, although even that did not seem like enough. Every single moment of our stay was perfection. From the moment we arrived on the island we knew this was a very special place, and by the time our taxi arrived at Pelican Reef we were impressed far beyond our expectations. We booked our wedding here based on the pictures and reviews on TripAdvisor, but believe me when I say our first reaction when we arrived was that none of the photos online quite captured the beauty of this location. The pier is stunning, the view indescribable, the units and furnishings just completely flawless. Although there are mixed feelings in reviews about the location being outside town, I echo others’ responses that we found this to be a bonus. Spend a few hours in town and it’s such a peaceful retreat to return to the resort.
I simply can’t say enough about the service. I was determined to be a low-maintenance bride throughout our stay, but the staff here went above and beyond so many times to treat us like royalty. They even surprised us by decorating our unit during our reception so when we finally returned to our place at the end of a magical day we were welcomed by a trail of candles and flower petals leading us to a wonderful bottle of champagne by a petal-filled Jacuzzi.

I envisioned an intimate wedding in a beautiful location and what we experienced was far beyond my expectations. The atmosphere for our day was beyond words; from walking the pier looking at stingrays with my morning coffee while the amazing staff setup our ceremony site on the beach to saying our vows and turning to see other resort guests gathered on the patio to share in our celebration, every minute was magical.

Seven months later, we really feel like we just left, and we still talk about this trip every day. I would have thought by now our friends and family would be tired of the thousands of pictures, but the beauty of this place truly speaks for itself and we’re still hearing”no way, that one HAS to be a postcard!” We’re always wishing Terry was taking our breakfast order (Pancake Sandwich please!!!) and Santo was brewing coffee at the bar before sunrise.
I would not change a single moment of our experience at Pelican Reef. Since the moment we left we’ve been working on scheduling our next trip back, and scheming to try and spend every anniversary there to reflect on a picture perfect wedding!

Room Tip: We booked a garden/pool view room but were thrilled to discover we had a great view of the ocean. N...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ConnecticutMahons

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We recently returned from spending 5 nights at Pelican Reef Villas and wanted to share a review of our experience. We were there during low-season, which in our experience meant a nice breeze, no rain, sunshine and very moderate temperatures.

Resort/grounds: This is a small condo development about 2.5 miles south of central San Pedro- this could be looked at as a positive (away from the "bustle") or a negative (a bumpy cab ride/golf cart ride to town)- for us, we liked being away from the town where it is quieter. To go most anywhere, you will need to either cab ride ($10 US one-way to town) or rent a golf cart, which can be rented by the hour, day, or multi-day. The resort sits about as close to the water as I've ever seen. The grounds are small but well-maintained. There is a central pool area w/ a small infinity pool (with very refreshing water) and a swim-up bar where you can eat breakfast and lunch and drink until late in the day. The beach is great- nice sand and there are scattered palm trees which provide shade on the beach, should you want it. Mosquitoes are a problem in this part of the world, but I didn't get one mosquito bite at the Pelican Reef, likely due to the constant breeze we had.

Accommodations: We stayed in a ground-floor condo directly on the beach. The condo was very nice, even by American standards, with very nice furniture, granite counters, quality appliances, etc, most likely the nicest we have stayed at in numerous Caribbean trips. The air conditioner worked very effectively (albeit a little loud, but I'll take the cold air). Our condo had 2 bedrooms, with one opening directly to the beach. It was literally steps from our condo to the beach/water which was really nice, in being able to go in/out of our unit without having to make a long walk back to our unit/ walking through a lobby/taking an elevator, etc.

Experience/activities: their is a pier that provides cover for a reef that you can snorkel- among other things, I saw an eel, small and large barracuda, bonefish, large crab, and tarpon. The water is not swimmeable right at the beach, given the grass flats, but you simply wade out. The water is very clear and there are no waves (given the barrier reef a mile or so offshore). There are 2 hammocks to lounge in, several kayaks available for free, as well as bikes should you want to ride. You can fish off the pier, which I wish I had known as I would have brought my gear, but they can lend you a rod. Pelican Reef was perfect for us as we mainly wanted to relax on a beach and with the shade, lounge chairs, bar, and our unit's proximity to the beach, it was perfect.

Dining: breakfast was provided and there was a variety of selections and the food was good. We would order lunch every day and again, a variety of options and everything was ordered was good. If you have an early morning activity they will prepare a continental breakfast for you the night before. The staff will be happy to bring your food to the beach, room, or right out at the bar, wherever you want it. There is no dinner option here as the kitchen is manned by one woman who works 7:00-3:00; this forces you to seek dinners out, which is probably a good thing as you get to experience some other places on the island; otherwise, it would be tempting just to sit at the Pelican Reef all day as it's so easy.

Staff: Everyone was very nice and helpful and Terri was our go-to person to facilitate. She was able to arrange a last-minute fishing trip for us and has contacts for anything you would want to do. We did arrange some things on our own as well as we had family who had been previously and relied on their recommendations for some of our activities. The resort is fairly intimate and they get to know you and keep track of your schedule so they know if you require a cab ride, for example, which they arrange. The bartender was nice and made great drinks and the dining staff was helpful as well. The owner even gave us a call as we were leaving apologizing for not seeing us while we were there and asking about our stay.

General thoughts: I don't really have a negative about the resort/rooms/staff/dining. It provided a very comfortable/easy stay which is what I look for in traveling to a foreign country. Belize itself was fine- like most areas in that part of the world, there is poverty but the people seem very happy and helpful. English is spoken (primary language in the schools) so that makes everything very easy. Cave tubing/ziplining, while making for a very long day, is worthwhile. Fishing is first rate. It's a neat part of the world that I'm looking forward to returning to. I'm fairly picky in choosing where I stay (not based on things like service as I tend to be self-reliant but rather quality of accommodations) and Pelican Reef did not disappoint. This is not even to mention the price of the room, and a similar level property in a beach destination in the US would likely be several hundred dollars more/night. It provides an intimate experience that I don't think you could ever get at a large resort that I think is very unique.

Room Tip: Units 7 and 8 are on the water
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DallasMD51
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We just returned from our honeymoon where we stayed at Pelican reef for the second half our our trip. We couldn't have picked a better location! as other reviewers mentioned, it's 2.5 miles from town but we thought it was perfect being away from the hustle and bustle of downtown. The beach is also very well kept and private, which was definitely a plus being located further south, but it can also be attributed to the amazing staff always grooming the grounds. We saw many fish right off the pier too - perfect for swimming and snorkelling. We also rented a golf cart for the week so we could travel into town at our leisure. We'd highly recommend renting a golf cart to get the full experience of San Pedro's offerings. We stopped at many different resorts on the drive into town just to take a peek, and pelican reef certainly had one of the nicest beaches!

Another perk is that Athens Gate is the sister property of Pelican reef so we walked a couple of minutes down the beach to Athens gate to checkout their pool and grab a drink. Yet another gorgeous property! As a guest of Pelican reef we were told we could use their pool and beach, which we never did but it's a nice option!

We had read some travel blogs before our stay and tap water is safe to drink on Ambergris Caye however it has a unique flavor to it. The nice part about staying at Pelican reef is that the fridge in our villa had a water filtration tap so we never had to worry about taste. I do recommend bringing some drink powder or flavoring (like crystal light or miso) so no matter where you go you don't need to rely on plastic water bottles. Groceries are very expensive so we recommend bringing any snacks or items you may need. The villa has all types of kitchen utensils and dishware, more than enough, however we brought our own dryer sheets and detergent for laundry and it wouldve been nice to also have some paper napkins or paper towels handy. The villas are extremely spacious and clean, and the pictures are accurate but don't do it justice. Each villa is modern and has a nice layout with 2 balconies. We stayed in villa #10 which was a 2 bedroom, right on the ocean, certainly gorgeous views, and comfortable accommodations.

The infinity pool is always refreshing and the included breakfast was a perfect way to start our day. The staff also makes coffee in the morning for you to help yourself to at the bar, which made for nice lazy mornings. Really the staff is what makes Pelican reef so amazing! From the cold towel and delicious rum punch upon arrival, to food and excursion recommendations, from day one you feel welcome at Pelican reef. Terri was very helpful with reservations and recommendations where to eat, and Ruth makes an amazing Bloody Mary if you like spicy drinks! You also have to be sure to try William's delicious coconut mojito and key lime pie drink - delicious! Everyone always greeted you with a smile which truly made us feel special. We look forward to bringing our families and going back someday!

Room Tip: Most rooms seemed great but the ocean view rooms are really worth it - gorgeous views to wake up to...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank hammerc42
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed June 25, 2012

My husband and I chose to go to Belize after receiving a groupon offer to stay at a jungle resort on the mainland. We wanted to experience the land and sea, so decided to split our stay...3 nights on mainland (jungle) and 4 nights on Ambergris Caye at P.R. villas.
Service-The promptness of the service we received (bar, food service) was always good--no complaints there--but at times felt like the concierge disliked us in particular. The only possible reason I could think of was during our arrival discussion we indicated we had already booked our excursions (arranged from home) and were not renting a golf cart--the interest seemed to wane. Lost commissions? I don't know, but it was noticed and felt by other adults in our party.
Accommodations-If I were only reviewing the villa the score would be 5 stars! The villa was spotless and had all the modern luxuries of home and nicely furnished--more so than many homes in the states! Upscale bedding/linens were a very appreciated plus. The property is immaculately kept. Exceeds expectations in this category.
Food- Resort food was just OK. There is a restaurant called Mr Joe's that is a very close walk that we did not discover until our last night. This was the best dessert we had the entire week! (note: we did not eat a meal there) Wish it had been recommended.
Some of the tastiest and most reasonably priced food you will find is at Robin's kitchen on the way into town. I will have separate reviews for restaurant recommendations, too lengthy to go into here.
Location-Obviously, the majority of people writing reviews here have their reasons for loving this resort. For me, location was not one of them. I thought 2.5 miles south of town would be no big deal but I did not feel OK with taking a bicycle on these treacherous dirt roads. Cabs were cheap and convenient (US $10 one way into town) but I felt disconnected to the town and wish we'd stayed closer in. Another reason is the bugs. This resort is located far enough away from town and just past a marshy lagoon...a.k.a. mosquito alley! I honestly could not step foot out onto my beautiful balcony in mornings without being eaten alive or having to bathe in DEET first. Even so, I still got bitten plenty-- much more than I did staying at the jungle resort on the mainland.
The days we went into town, I noticed this problem went away! Now this is unfortunate and not a fault with the resort, but if I had known choosing a resort closer to town could have meant less mosquitos...I would have done so. Maybe this is not a problem during the dry season.
Tours-Reef fishing (best fishing day my husband every had!), lobster fishing (best day period), and snorkeling were just wonderful. I had already researched and knew who I wanted to use and who I didn't. Inbox me privately if you need more info.

Helpful tip: there is no reviewing or signing of a bar tab to check for accuracy. Each drink is added to your room to be charged at check out. To avoid discrepancies upon departure you may want to review daily or pay for drinks outright.

Room Tip: 2nd floor is best
6 Thank rockmama12052
Colorado
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We recently stayed at Pelican Reef Villas and we would highly recommend staying there. The condo was very nice. The bedrooms and living areas were large and spacious, giving us plenty of room to enjoy our vacation. The pictures are exactly what you should expect, flat screen TV’s, leather couches, granite countertops, and a washer/dryer. The breakfast that was included with our room was amazing and we couldn't get enough of the fresh orange juice.
The hotel is a bit out of town, about 2.5 miles. But it was quiet and the golf cart made the trips to town fairly quick, about 15 minutes each way. The road is bumpy but that was part of the adventure. Our 2.5 year old daughter called it “jumping” to town.
The staff at Pelican Reef Villas was extremely nice and very helpful planning our trips, offering restaurant suggestions, and making our family feel welcome. Special thanks to Karol, Terri, William, Ruth, and Santo- you made our vacation amazing, treated our daughter like a princess and we are so grateful.

1 Thank KaelynHA
Portland
Reviewed June 23, 2012

My family and I just returned from our vacation where we stayed at the Pelican Reef. I must start by saying that we loved every minute of our vacation. Immediately upon arriving at the Pelican Reef we were greeted by the staff with welcoming smiles, a cold refreshing towel to help cool down, and rum punch by the pool.
When it was time to see our villa, it was a "Wow!" moment for my husband and two sons. I had made all the arrangements so they had yet to see what our villas would like look inside. The villas are beautiful. We were in room 10 with an oceanview which was spectacular.
Terri was available at all times for planning excursions, recommending restaurants and provided any information that we needed. Not only was she a wealth of information, she was also friendly and made us feel at home. Ruth, the bartender, was amazing as well. Not only could she mix up a good drink, she also kept us entertained with conversation and good laughs. William, another bartender, was awesome and was always ready to help us out when needed.
We opted to rent a golf cart for the week which we enjoyed. Yes, the roads were bumpy as mentioned by other reviews but we had no problems and it added to the adventure of the trip. How often is a golf cart your main mode of transportation? Too cool.
We ate at several restaurants in town. Our top two favorites were Fido's and Waruguma. We actually ate at Waruguma twice. If you are looking for a good, cost efficient meal try their papusas..very delicious!!!
We did the Lamanai excursion our third day on the island. Since the Villas are on the island and most excursions are on the mainland, expect a long trip to and from the Villas. Another big bonus about staying at Pelican Reef is if you do plan an excursion, you will be picked up at the pier last since the tour boat picks up other visitors from other hotels first so you get to sleep in a little longer than the other hotels and you get dropped off first at the END of the excursion. And after a long day exploring, it makes for a perfect end.
My husband did the Blue Hole diving trip the following day which he absolutely enjoyed and our last excursion was ziplining through a Belizian jungle and cave tubing.
Everything about our stay at the Pelican Reef exceeded our expectations. Not only would we recommend to friends and family to stay there...we also plan to come back and visit again.

**Oh, a quick note: I should also mention that upon arrival to the island we purchased alcohol at the duty free shop at the airport. (max is four bottles per person).We found out later that it saved us a bit of cash since alcohol in town is a tad bit overpriced at the local supermarkets. Also, if you're interested in making your own rum punch. We found some punch at the minimart close to the villa that we used to make extra rum punch when we weren't at the pool bar. Also we found the minimart to have reasonable prices on all their items. It's the first little store as your heading into town.

4 Thank eohana22
Danville, IL
Reviewed June 22, 2012

My 2 sisters and I stayed here in Feb. This was the first time they had been out of the country. The people here are the best. Terry helped us with all of our bookings and suggested other things for us. She was always there with a smiling face and helpful information. Ruth was our bartender the whole time and wonderful. Julio was our cab driver whenever we wanted to go to San Pedro. We met the owners who were very nice. Karol also helped us out with any questions we had. Santos was the maintenance man who even operated on my suitcase for me. The villas are so comfortable. I was a little worried about it being on the 3rd floor with no elevator but the stairs wind around and they weren't bad at all. Breakfast every morning around the pool was delicious. India was the villa's resident dog who was very friendly. We were treated like queens for a week and they dubbed us the "Three Sisters". Our maids were great also although I can't remember their names. There is nothing bad to say about this place. We felt like family and I hope to return as soon as possible.

Room Tip: We had the 3 bedroom villa facing the Caribean on the 3rd floor. Fabulous sunrises!!!!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family