“The perfect place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Palms Oceanfront Suites

The Palms Oceanfront Suites
Ranked #25 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Los Angeles, CA
“The perfect place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2009

My husband and I have been coming to Ambergris Caye since 1998. We fell in love with the island immediately and now come twice a year. We've stayed for several years at Ramon's Village and that was truly special. The last time we've stayed there we've booked the Presidential Suite. It was magic. I'd read about The Palms and had trouble finding it, because it is set off the street. I finally noticed it right next door!. As much as I loved Ramon's, The Palms was a better buy and much larger! It is like having your own condo. All the suites are beach front with balconies (a stone's throw from the Caribbean) except for the pool side casita. This feels like our home away from home not just because the accommodations are incredible and a great value, but, also because of the staff that helps make our stay convenient and comfortable with their attention to detail. The Palms is ideally located just a few steps from the airstrip and a very easy walk to town. Without question, The Palms is, undoubtedly, the best value on the island! Over the years we've had the opportunity to experience most of the restaurants on the island. We have enjoyed all of them but on our last visit in April, we had dinner at one of the island's newest, Hidden Treasure. To date, it was our finest dining experience. Not only was the food exceptional but the atmosphere was inviting and elegant. The owner, Ruben Munoz, and his family have made wonderful choices in terms of decor and menu and provide a friendly atmosphere in which to dine. When you're planning your stay on Ambergris Caye, Hidden Treasure should be number one on your list of restaurants and without question, The Palms should be number one on your list of places to stay. We've been lucky to travel all over the world, and have stayed in a variety of accommodations, and The Palms is by far our favorite. We look forward to staying at this truly special place for many years to come. It has become a second home.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Grayson, Ga.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2009

Last time we traveled to Belize we traveled the whole country and stayed a few nights @ Ramones Village in Ambergris. This time we stayed next door @ The Palms. We stayed in #33. I was a bit concerned because I had half knee replacement a few months ago and #33 is on the 3rd floor with no elevator. It was well worth the hike . The view is spectacular in # 33 . I bargained ahead of time and got the room for $210 USD per night via Ana. I met a woman who bargained @ the last minute and moved out of #33 right before we arrived. She said the paid $189 USD per night although I couldn't confirm with management and wasn't able to price match once I got there. My rate included the 9% tax, but my credit card company (Amex) did not give me the 2 to 1 ratio that we got the whole time we were in Belize. Room #33 I believe is the Creme de la Creme. The family that was moved to Room # 32 said that #33 was the best as she had been inside #31 and #34. It is a center building two story with the main level having a master with a king size bed , bath, kitchen ,den ,deck with a place for a hammock . The loft has two queen size beds . Oh there appears to be a sofa bed in the den on the main level. I did not open it up,but I lifted the cushions upon departure looking for a fish book our son bought and I saw the metal bars you see in sleeper beds. I wish I had brought more people as one of our family members was staying elsewhere. The kitchen is semi well equipped. The frying pan is not the best and the only large burner is cock eyed (not centered ) so you are constantly cooking lopsided. There is a full refrigerator and in our unit there was dishsoap which may have been left by previous guests. I was told there was no dishsoap or sponge. The housekeeper , Ingrid, loaned me her sponge which was wonderful for cleaning the fry pan. The unit is decorated in the Belizean theme with a picture in the 1st floor bath by a local artist. There are also numerous wall decorations which I saw for sale in San Pedro. I like that the owner decorated the unit by supporting local artists and not bringing everything in from the USA. On a personal note and I'm not real religious ,but there is a cross in the master bedroom which leads me to believe that the owners are Christian and I like renting from Christians.
I did see some areas that need attention. The AC in the loft is fantastic and I was worried that the children would be hot. They said it was great. The AC in the den froze up on us as did the one in the master. We keep our home in Atlanta @ 68 and for sure you will never get this unit that cool. We rolled with the punches ,but it would have been nice to have had some cool AC to return to in the afternoon or to have gotten monetary compensation for the lack of AC. The reception office is really cool and you can tell the AC is working in there ,but of course it is a small area and the den in # 33 is a nice size. I may sound spoiled ,but for $210 per night we did expect to have working AC. I of course complained to management upon arrival and they sent someone up. He informed us the units were frozen and that we should turn them off for 2-3 hours and then turn them back on. We did this the entire time we were there, but that meant hours of heat and then working AC ...and the cycle repeated itself. I mentioned this to management a second time upon checkout. I'm in the service business and I probably would have offered monetary compensation for the inconvenience if I had been management. So if the owner reads this I would tell him/her that their unit is just Fantastic,but the AC's need some attention as does the large burner and a new fry pan would be nice. Overall this unit is just spectacular. The view is one to die for. I mean this. The balcony has an arch concrete frame and it looks out over the azure blue and turquoise sea. We are boat people and there is a boat dock with a # of sailboats and other boats right in front. This is eye candy for boat lovers. Oh I should tell you that if you are considering Ramones Village or The Palms, choose the Palms. You won't get a kitchen @ Ramones . The rooms @ Ramones are very much typical of Belize,but the pool is about the same size and prices for everything are higher @ Ramones . We rented our golf cart and we got a 6 seater (very large ) @ a place called Monchos. Take a right out of The Palms and it will be on your left. We bargained for 24 hour rental with Ramon and the price was $80 USD and $5 for insurance . We drove from one side to the other for 4 hours. We didn't make it from far end to far end. We thoroughly enjoyed the family day just driving. We bought souveniers in town and went to the grocery hours later in the day . We ate most meals in with the exception of lunch @ Fido's on the water. I had a giant fish taco for around $12 USD. It was truly delicious ! Just for future reference, when you are there currently they are giving one USD to two BZE dollars if paying cash. I paid quite a bit more by putting things on my credit card. I think I'd do cash more if I was going again anytime soon. I'm going to call my credit card company and ask a few questions as I have quotes in USD, but my charges are higher . I'm assuming it must be the conversion rate or a tacked on fee by the credit card company. Ask your credit card company before you go as I didn't do this. I did get my quotes in USD so I'm not sure if my charges are correct. I just called them and told them I would be in Belize so they wouldn't deny my spending. Last year I had issues in Thailand in spite of notifying the credit card companies. Oh FYI, most places do not take Amex, only Visa and MC. We are Amex people because of points so this was disappointing to only use our Visa and MC cards.
There are great finds @ the airport. I looked everywhere for a wooden puzzle per request for my Guatemalan niece. I didn't find one anywhere except the airport when we departed. Overall I think Ambergris has hgher prices on souveniers and Paintings ,but lower prices on accomodations.
With regard to safety, I had gotten a warning from the Belmopan Embassy. (I registered with the US embassy before departure). They said that criminals were targeting the island tourists. I got an email back from our hotel in Caye Caulker that said Yes this is true. Basically just follow your common sense. I asked a lot of questions and came up with the answer. Don't go out @ night by yourself or into dark bad areas of town. The tourists that got in to trouble did just that. I live in Atlanta and I wouldn't think of going downtown in a dark unlit area @ night.
Have a great time . Hopefully there won't be any earthquakes while you are there. We had an earthquake off the cost that measured 7.1. Our building shook as did our bed and the water sloshed out of the pool, but there were no injuries or damage that I could see/tell.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Perdido
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2009

We visited the whole caye and The Palms has by far the best location and beach front, the service was amazing, the staff is superb. We loved staying there and will be back for sure. The Palms are great condo apartments with everything you want. Kitchens are small but fully equipped, the bedrooms are amazing and the most fabulous thing is the porches, you can just lay on the very confi launch chairs or get a hammock and take naps in the confort of your own place. It was also good to be able to take showers or refresh as we came from walks or the beach. There are plenty of great restaurants to choose from at a short walk from The Palms, and the best of things is that you get to go to them by walking on the beach. If you need to go to any place in town you can walk, but if you want to get to know the north side of the caye, its best to take a water taxi, specially for dinner. We recommend Estels for breakfast and if you don't mind walking a little bit more go to George's Kitchen, Wild Mangos for lunch and dinner, Caliente for lunch they have great soups and taquitos. If you want a more intimate dinner, go to Capricorn on the north side or Hidden Treasures on the south side, they are both fantastic.
Don't forget the Palms if the best place to stay

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
cheyenne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2009

We were on Ambergris April 4-11. I had e mailed the Palms a bit earlier and asked to have a case of Belikin and some snacks in the condo. Everything was there and the price was reasonable. The location is perfect. We used Ramon's beach every day and their dock. We ate lunch on the beach at Ramon's probably 4 of the days we were there. The food was good. Pina Coladas were $5 us. The beach was groomed every morning and the snorkeling and swimming from the dock are great! We rented a golf cart and toured the island. Going North, we only got about 1/2 mile because the road is so horrible. Going south was much easier. Ate at Victoria House one night, best meal we had and the place is very nice, a bit too remote for us. We were in condo 33 which is beachfront and a view to die for! The condo had everything we needed and we could walk to the Blue Grill for breakfast and we did eat dinner there one night, very good. The hotel arranged a fishing trip for my husband on Good Friday and that was hard for them, but they came through for us. We also arranged our golf cart rental through the office at the Palms. We walked next door to Ramon's and used their dive shop for all of our diving and snorkeling trips. All in all, the staff was great, condo clean and comfortable, location could not be better.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Mississippi State, MS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2009

We lucked out and got the poolside casita at a discounted rate. While it did not have a beachview, it felt like we had our own private garden next to the beach. The casita is totally cute with nice furnishings, cozy bed, and kitchen with all the gadgets you'd need if you wanted to cook. We ate out. The only kitchen gadget we needed was a wine opener. ;) It felt like home away from home, only way smaller!

The staff was friendly. Juan met us at the water taxi dock and gave us a quick tour of San Pedro and made some recommendations on local dining.

The Palms is a small charming place in a great location. Just on the edge of SanPedro, it had a quieter beach* (next to Ramon's, which is a nice spot) and minutes to numerous water sports vendors. It is also about block from the airport so buying tickets to get back to Belize airport was a breeze. *Note that the beaches we saw on Ambergris Caye are not long wide stretches of heavenly beach where you'd run in for a cooling off dip every 30 minutes...instead it is a short beach with sea grass. It seems to me that the snorkeling/scuba is the main attraction, and we loved it!

The only downside is Wi-Fi is not free ($25) but if we really wanted it, I saw an ad that the Sunset Bar (about 8 min walk) offered it to its diners.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank littlelily1
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2009

Arrived in San Pedro just in time for Hurricane Dean. The staff went above and beyond to make sure all their guest had access to another hotel in St Ignacio, helped book the rooms for each of us and found transportation for us, too. Even the manager's family stayed at the same location in St. Ignacio with the guest of The Palms. They kept us all very informed as to when we could return to the beach and what was happening to this beloved island during the hurricane.

Upon each guests' arrival back to The Palms, after the hurricane, they were very happy to see us and hear about our adventures. Whatever you may need during your stay, just let one know, they will get it done for you when you need it.

I cannot wait to find my way back to San Pedro and The Palms, but other countries beckon a visit first. I seriously considered buying one of the condos at the Palm Oceanfront Suites...the staff made it worth every moment.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2009

We stayed at The Palms for four nights in March in the Executive 2 BR unit, oceanfront. All the units are oceanfront except for the separate casita at the pool. The unit has one very spacious King bedroom with TV and full bath + an upstairs bedroom, also spacious, with two queens and shower bath. Small, but well stocked full kitchen, nice sized LR with TV and dining area. The nicest part is the covered porch which overlooked Ramon's Beach on one side and the TMM Pier with all the sailboats straight ahead. There is a small private lounge area in front of the beach, separated from the public beach by some plants and a low wall. This is really nice because the public beach does have its share of vendors, and they don't bother you if you're up in this area.
This is a great location for anyone who does not want to rent a golf cart every day, because its a block from the airport (although you can't hear any noise) and very close to many restaurants, shops, etc. We did rent a golf cart for one day just to drive around and it was brought to and picked up at The Palms Mgt office, which is nice. The pool is shady and tropical, very private. You can buy a gallon of water for $2 US at the office too, which is nice not to have to lug back from the store. Caution: Groceries are very expensive on Ambergris. We always bring our own light snacks like microwave popcorn, chips, etc. in our suitcase (I am always tempted not to do this, but was very glad I did it for this trip). We ate a couple of meals next door at Ramon's, food was good and pretty reasonable ($8 to $10 for bfast or lunch); When we did our Hol Chan snorkling trip, the dive shop picked us right at the pier in front of our condo. There is also a great little day spa 1/2 block away called Asian Garden which we happily had massages at. All in all, I think The Palms is suitable for families & active adults who want a convenient location. It was very quiet at night too. We were glad we did not stay on the North part of the Island because it was too far from everything else.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family