“Excellent value for your money! Friendly, good food, fun spot and accommodating.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Pedro's Hotel

Pedro's Hotel
Ranked #31 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Will come back and stay here. Nice staff, good food in the bar and very willing to make your stay enjoyable! The owner is English and was a good host. They have a pool which made for a nice start to the day. What I saved in my room, I spent on great excursions. They can hook you up too with that! A splendid holiday all round!

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Polish first
Buford, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Pedro's backpackers paradise for 2 nights in October 2012, then back for a third night 3 days later. Although not what we would describe as "first class" it nevertheless was adequate for our needs, and the price was right. We had a clean room with good air conditioning, double bed, full bath, working tv and lockable door. What else does a traveler need? (the only necessity lacking were wash cloths, which I suppose us Americans have gotten spoiled with, as many foreign countries do not provide them). Unexpected pleasant surprises were a popular bar with friendly bartender, wi- fi available near the office, a very interesting and informative "brit" owner and very friendly rastafarian gardener named Walter, who adored my Jamaican shirt.

Room Tip: Get in building across street from office. It's quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

This was my 3rd trip back here. Always a great time. Friendly staff, always meeting new tourists from around the globe and enjoying the company of people from prior visits. I'll continue coming to Belize and always staying here. Whether you're looking for a hotel or hostel, this is the place to stay in San Pedro!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank WendyRay76
Merida, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Rooms are VERY basic. But clean! Beds are a bit on the hard side. Fairly quiet. Plenty of hot water, a/c which you wouldn't always need if you could get the window open. Wifi in common areas, but not in rooms.

There was construction while we were there so a bit of noise, construction dirt, and disarray.

My cons are - can't open the window, no place to hang stuff, and no place to sit with frends and chat, play cards, etc.
Inside the on site bar is loud! Alex, the bartender was a bit curt and short, she seemed to think it was endearing, but I felt like I was bothering her by ordering stuff.
My pros - rooms are clean, and have fans. Close to el centro, without being in centro, easy short walk to beach, nice above ground pool area. Casual. Pedro, aka Peter, is funny and helpful, but crotchety. The office staff is very helpful and will help with any activity plans you may have.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
new york city
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

There are so many things that will make your stay at Pedro's unique:

1) First and foremost - their hospitality. Cindy, the charming Brit, during the daytime and Peter, the off-the wall American/owner. I paid in advance for 2 nights, but was only able to make it for one night. Peter had said if my room would sell, I would get a credit, but if the room couldn't sell, I couldn't get my money back. Fair enough considering it was last minute. Since the room didn't sell, Peter went out of his way to ensure we got taken care of (Discounts on tours, free pizza, free rides around town, etc...) He does what he can to accommodate his guests. He's hyper, and crazy and funny and your stay will be more entertaining with him around.

2) The pizza. Holy crap the pizza. I'm from New York. I'm supposed to know good pizza. THIS pizza however, is a spiritual experience. There's a restaurant/bar attached to Pedro's property. They start serving at 4pm, I believe. The crust is light. The sauce is perfect. Please eat it, and take some back to the room. I would chop off my right arm to have a Belikin and a pizza right now.

3) Accommodations. Some people may complain the beds are hard, the toilet doesn't flush paper, etc...But I mean, you have to manage your expectations. For the price you pay, you get basic accommodations. The AC works pretty strong. The pool is the perfect place to relax.

My only main gripes?
This isn't their fault, but there was construction going on and so it was loud and annoying.
The place is a little remote, far off from where things are happening.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank chrismarynyc
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

It is not an appropriate booking for a Single woman on holiday or a family with young children which my friend had who was on holiday with me.

The rooms are extremely small and the plumbing system is not adequate (a sign in the bathroom, Do Not Put Any Toilet Paper in the Toilet). also the picture are very deceiving on the booking site.

Pedro's Inn is more geared toward young men and girls gone wild. The building is more like a military barracks than a hotel.

WiFi is advertised as available at the pool, the bar and in some rooms. I was fortunate to be placed in one of the six rooms which is supposed to receive the signal, when i complain of no Wifi in room was told by Cindy that the hotel was full and too many were trying to log on so that made the signal too week to work in my room.

So unless you want to conduct your business and personal conversations in the open air or the noisy bar, forget it.

I booked for a stay 8/29/2012 to 9/15/2012 and request a refund on 9/3/2012 to 9/15/2012 due to feeling unsafe, sewer gas coming into my room from bathroom that keep me up all night, going outside to breath clean air, and all in hall way of building, upon this request of refund, Peters Lawrence (owner of Pedro's Inn) attitude was you will not get it, refused me a written receipt of the $600.00 cash given to finish my total cost after credit card billing, and then added insult to injury by telling me "We do not have people like you staying in our hotel", I repeated his words "people like me?" He smirked, signed, and said nothing.

I left checking into the Belize Hutz, and was advised to report my situation to the Belize Tourist Board (BTB) my experience. Come to find out after doing so, He refused my cash money receipt, to avoid taxation, so he not only is rude and insulting to his guess he is stealing from the Belizean Government as well.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone especially if you are Single, African-American, Professional, Mother, Grand-mother, etc.since he says in his own words "We do not have people like you staying in our Hotel".

Do yourself a favor stay where you are appreciated, and welcomed Pedro's Inn is not that.

Room Tip: If you must choose it room 4 was mine it has most privacy and farthest from bar noise, soldiers, and...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Deborah B
PedrosInn, Owner at Pedro's Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
When this lady arrived at Pedro’s, having booked her vacation/moving-to-Belize experience all of her credit cards were declined. Against policy, the owner checked her into the hotel anyway and she was very happy. She came into the bar and was bought a couple of drinks by the owner and ordered a pizza, which was never paid for.

It was decided that, as this lady was upset at her credit cards not working, the following day she could come in and pay the outstanding balance for the room in cash. Part of this money goes to the booking agency. She was fine and we were told her friends with 2 children were coming, who had also booked with the same agency, and we had been in touch with them by email to point out that we did not allow 4 people to stay in 1 room, because they are not big enough. These people arrived and we subsidized a room for their children, and this money was returned to the people when they moved out subsequently.

When the male Assistant Manager was working for the first 3 days of the guests stay, she told them repeatedly that everything was fine and that she was happy whenever she was asked. When the female Manager of the hotel (who also happens to be 6.5 months pregnant) was working by herself, the guest suddenly started making extraordinary demands, to the point where the Manager was physically and mentally intimidated by this guest.

The staff at Pedro’s Hotel bent over backwards to accommodate the guests increasingly bizarre demands, to the point of purchasing a coffee-maker for her room because the guest was outraged that the hotel office was not open at 5:00 am for her to get coffee from, and loaning this guest a computer monitor because the guest was unwilling to return to her room to fetch the one she had forgotten. It got to the point that the Hotel Manager started having Braxton Hicks contractions because of the way this guest was acting. Even her friends who had checked in at that point were embarrassed at this guest’s behavior.

To answer some of her points:
• Every hotel on the island asks their guests not to put paper in the toilet due to the antiquated sewer system on Ambergris Caye.
• We are a budget hotel and our rooms are exactly how they are in the photographs.
• Pedro’s Inn is definitely geared to people who want to come and have fun in San Pedro, and as per our other reviews one can see that people from their late teens to their early 70’s have thoroughly enjoyed staying here. We probably have the most single female guests in San Pedro, and have had a great number of families stay with us with children ranging in age from 3 years old to teens.
• You say that you couldn't breathe in the room – perhaps that was because you were smoking in the room when there were signs clearly indicating that smoking is not permissible in rooms. In fact you should have been charged $50 US for every night that you did smoke in the room.
• We have the most expensive Internet/Wi-Fi set up that is available in the country of Belize. This lady complained that the wi-fi wasn't working, when someone sitting right beside her was sitting and streaming a movie on their laptop.
• It was clearly explained to you that any refund would have to come from the booking agent that was used by you to book the room. Your receipt and bill were ready for pick up at 9:00 am on Monday morning, just as the owner indicated it would be. It sat ready in the office for a week; you could have picked it up any time.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

Pedro's hotel was wonderful.
I was greeted with a smile and a very quick check-in. I provided my credit card and was able to charge trips, food, water, beers in the bar all 'to my room'. When I check out it was seamless and professional.
The housekeeping kept my room very clean. It had a little bit of a funny smell to it, but I have stayed in far worse in Asia, and it is the cheapest option on the island.
It was also a great place to meet people. I went alone and made friends in no time. The atmosphere is laid back, the pet dogs are adorable, and the staff was great at their jobs!
Thanks for the great time guys! I will see you again.

Room Tip: The hotel rooms are much nicer than the Hostel Inn. Private bathrooms, tv, larger, and furnature.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo