We arrived at San Pedro in a light airplane (10 seater?) which was great fun, however as soon as we got into the taxi to take us to the hotel, my heart sank! We were hoping San Pedro would be the highlight of our Belize holiday (see our reviews on Pooks Hills and Hidden Valley Inn) however Ambergris Caye was anything but the unspoilt Island we expected.
As we drove to the hotel, we notice that every square inch of land is either being built upon or up for sale for development. It reminded me of the Costa Brava in the 1970s.
We did then arrive at Xanadu Resort Hotel. It's a nice small hotel with a beautiful pool area and we were fortunate in having one of the rooms overlooking the sea. It was well equipped and nice and clean. Whilst we spent a week there, our highlights were the fishing/snorkelling and visiting the small town itself.
The service at the hotel was good, however they appeared very put out when we wold them we'd booked our own fishing/snorkelling trips (saving ourselves about 25% against their costs).
The resort is at risk of ridiculous over-development and whilst the pictures you'll see of the hotels are accurate, what they wont show you are the building sites surrounding every hotel and the filth everywhere where all the rubbish collects. I was shocked when I asked what I could put in recycling that they said 'Nothing'! Apparently it all gets dumped on the island?
When we were snorkelling we came across a load of buidling blocks dumped in the sea.
If you're going to San Pedro, go soon, as it wont be worth visiting in 5 years time. What a shame. Eco-Disaster I'm afraid.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Unique, Boutique, Romantic and Eco-friendly! Imagine tranquility settling over you like a mist over the ocean; kick off your shoes and stroll amongst the natural vegetation past the water features and onto the beach. Breathe in the fresh ocean air as you wander down the long pier to relax on the sun loungers under the thatched palapa and gaze out over the barrier reef to the deep blue waters of the Caribbean Sea. Settle in and experience the uniqueness of the monolithic dome buildings and enjoy the romantic setting of your private veranda. When you are ready to explore, visit the friendly staff at the front desk to arrange tours or to use the complimentary bicycles, paddle boards and kayaks. Experience all this at the unique, boutique, Green Globe certified Xanadu Island Resort – a touch of luxury and romance in harmony with nature. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Xanadu Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Xanadu Island Resort Belize Hotel San Pedro
- Xanadu Island Hotel
- Xanadu Island San Pedro
- Xanadu Island Resort Belize/San Pedro