“Love Xanadu!”

Xanadu Island Resort
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed January 12, 2009

We had our first visit to Xanadu in November and cannot say enough about how wonderful this resort is! Our room and our friends' room were both very large and a great value. We were there in the off season, so the resort was pretty quiet, which was fabulous!! The entire staff was very helpful, friendly and went above and beyond to help us with anything that we needed. Even scaling a tree to get a coconut for us! Stacey even gave us some ideas of what to do on Caye Caulker when we left. The snorkeling trip that we booked through Xanadu was EXCELLENT and a very reasonable price. If you are planning to snorkel, go with Lil Alphonse! The rooms are very clean and the on-site golf cart rental is easy and convenient. Thanks to Stacey, Shirley and the rest of the great staff - we will definitely be back!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank timandlisa
Write a ReviewReviews (1,237)

Reviewed January 11, 2009

This is a family friendly resort on a well maintained beach with very tastefully landscaped grounds which include a treetop walkway for viewing nature. Swimming in the pool and from the cabana at the end of the boat dock were equally enjoyable. All hotel personnel were friendly and helpful. The concierge services were uniformly excellent. Hotel suite accommodations were clean, well maintained and functional, and included an excellent well-equipped kitchen and dining area in our unit. From the resort there were easy beachside walks to the center of activity in San Pedro. We found many good and enjoyable restaurants, several being booked from the resort. In summary, we found this resort through Trip Advisor and we were not disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank bcorkey
Reviewed December 26, 2008

We enjoyed a fantastic family holiday at Xanadu Resort. We were quite a large group, 20 of us, all related. The accomodations were perfectly suited for our needs. The property is gorgeous and small enough to feel safe while the kids ran around. The snorkeling was outstanding at Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley. The staff at Xanadu did everything they could to make you feel right at home. Shirley arranged all our outings and Orlando made sure we were well looked after. We look forward to returning again!!

• Stayed: December 2008
3  Thank clrw
Reviewed December 16, 2008

I have struggled with the option of just knocking off one star instead of 5 when writing this review. But I feel this issue is just too important to let slide. And judging by the reaction of the manager when I explained the potential safety hazards (non plus) I observed, I finally decided I had no option but submit this venue as a means to ensure that immediate action be taken. This is the only way I know of to guarantee that all of Xanadu’s future guests have a wonderful and SAFE vacation.

Safety issues I observed were as follows:

1. The doors to each unit have locks which require hard keys, not key-cards. This in itself is not a huge issue (although one might wonder how rigorously the maintenance staff attends to changing the barrels every time a key is lost). The problem with our door was that it also required a key to unlock it from the INSIDE. Should a fire break out in the kitchen, smoke would fill the room quickly. If the key were misplaced, exiting the room would be impossible. This is a potentially deadly situation!!!

2. No smoke detectors that I could see. This is simply unacceptable given there are kitchens is every unit.

3. The fire extinguisher, which was properly mounted and visible, had an expiration date 5 years past. (3/2004).

4. The emergency lights in our unit did not illuminate when the resort lost power. However, upon inspection after power was restored, they appeared to be in good working order. I am not an electrician so I cannot explain why this would happen. I suspect faulty wiring or an inadequate circuit breaker.

5. All the wood kitchen cabinets were coated with a film of grease. They should be thoroughly cleaned on a regular basis to avoid grease fires.

On a positive note: This resort is a gem! The grounds are meticulously maintained and the rooms are well appointed (but bathrooms need updating soon). Satellite TV had over 60 clear, crisp channels with many devoted to foreign language broadcasts. The staff went above and beyond friendly! The pool is a dream. Bikes are provided free of charge and are great for riding on the beach. Scuba outfitters are everywhere and they will pick you up at the hotel’s pier.

I hope to see a note attached to this review soon from Xanadu’s owners stating they have fixed all of the above safety issues. Once that happens I will happily recommend this resort to anyone interested in staying on Ambergris Caye.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
26  Thank Miss_Bret
XanaduIslandResort, General Manager at Xanadu Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2008

I am so glad that this guest found our resort a "gem". We have to agree with her.

Let me respond to her remarks as follows:

Our guest's safety and satisfaction is our primary concern, as our many repeat guests will agree.

When approached by this guest on the last day of her stay with us, I listened to her comments with interest, and assured her that I would take immediate steps to rectify the situation. I was never "non-plussed" and thanked her for bringing these observations to my notice. If she had mentioned on her arrival that she was worried about her safety I would have seen to making the necessary repairs or changes immediately, so that she could enjoy her stay with us worry free.

1. Only a couple of the units in our resort have locks that need a key to open the front door from the inside, but we feel that there is no danger to our guests, as our units have large sliding glass windows which have flip locks, which can be lifted quickly and easily from the inside to allow one to exit the suite within a matter of seconds. However we are changing these door locks to the keyless type for additional safety. Most of our guests in these suites, once they have locked the door from the inside, leave the key in the door lock for their own convenience.

2. Xanadu has a fire emergency procedure for quick and safe evacuation in the event of a fire. In addition we have on site a high pressure fire pump and carry out fire drills with our staff regularly. We will definitely take her suggestion of fire alarms under consideration.

3. We have been assured by the suppliers of the fire extinguishers, that the canister type of extinguisher that we use, has an unlimited shelf life, and will function as it should in the event of a fire. In any regard, we do periodic tests on random extinguishers and have always found them to be working perfectly. Once tested they are replaced with new ones.

4. We discovered that the emergency lights in this guest's suite had been turned off, possibly by a previous guest, and we have now rectified the situation. In addition, this won't be an issue in the future as we are in the process of installing huge backup generators which will automatically come on in the event of a power outage and provide electricity to the whole resort.

5. Her claim that the wood kitchen cabinets were coated with a film of grease is simply not true. The cabinets are regularly polished with "Old English" Lemon Oil, which is a common household product and in no way constitutes a fire hazard. However the housekeeper might have been a bit zealous in her application.

We take all suggestions seriously and have built our reputation and business on word of mouth and personal referrals. We are constantly striving to improve our services and amenities and look forward to welcoming this guest to Xanadu again in the future.

Martin Goldberg

Reviewed December 12, 2008

Amazing hotel. We stayed for 8 nights. They upgraded our room for no charge, just because a better room was open at the time. They were able to accomodate us arriving days early. The suites are just amazing, feels like you are at home. Decor is great, not overdone. Spacious. Walking distance from town, but you can also take a bike. The grounds are very clean. Front desk staff were very nice and helpful. My husband was able to work in the room because of the free internet access. They arranged for our flights out of Ambergris.
This place really lived up to it's number 1 rating on tripadvisor. They even paid the taxi driver for our arrival and departure.
My only complaint is that our private tour, which cost us $375US with Oliver was not good. Oliver talked about himself for the entire 6 hours. We never got to talk amongst ourselves or have quiet time. I am vegetarian, and on our snorkels they were spearing fish to eat, just sort of thoughtless. He was trying not to use gas, so went very very slowly. When I told one of the staff about this, there initial answer was that no one else ever complained about Oliver. That is not what you want to hear when you just spent $375 on the worst tour you have had. Anyway, the other tour we took was good, not a private one.
FYI - This island is very expensive - food costs more than in NY City. They take US dollars everywhere and are pegged to the dollar 1:2.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank DocTravel
Reviewed December 11, 2008

Xanadu was extraordinary! I stayed there in September...the staff was INCREDIBLE. Extremely friendly- above and beyond, re-defining the meaning of customer service- Stacey and ShirleyMae were FANTASTIC hosts. They will ensure a smooth, stress-free, and easy vacation for you!

The resort was extremely friendly, laid back, gorgeous, relaxing, and unpretentious. Unlike some of the other hotels we biked by on the coast, this one really has the best ambiance of naturally beautiful and unpretentious while still being top-notch. Lovely condo style beachfront. You can't get drinks other than sodas or snacks by the pool unfortunately---but don't let this deter you! There are great food options nearby, incl. a little grocery store just outside the resort, that you can go to or pick up from to bring back to the resort and have on the beach, on a hammock, or by the pool! And we were also told the resort is hoping to have that option on the resort premises in the near future. But its worth it even without! (Bike into town to 'The Hungry Monkey Sub Shop' for GREAT sandwiches!).

Also- the tours are AWESOME. Don't miss the snorkeling- you will get to interact HANDS ON with all sorts of fish in the sea---an incredible unique and special snorkel experience with Alphonse! He takes special care to make sure you have an extraordinary experience. And don't miss the Manatee trip--- you are also taken to a tiny island for a beach bbq that is out of this world...two absolute GEMS of trips--- you do NOT want to miss!!!

DO XANADU! You will not be disappointed. One of the best vacations we have ever experienced :-)

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank traveloholic13
Reviewed December 2, 2008

I was traveling solo during my time on Ambergris, and had the good fortune to happen upon Xanadu while walking down the beach from San Pedro town. It caught my attention because it was so beautiful and so mellow at the same time. I relocated from the sub-par in-town hotel where I had been staying, and absolutely LOVED Xanadu and its staff. The suite was beautiful, well-equipped, and comfortable. The pool area is gorgeous and serene. The dock is perfect. There are bikes to ride and kayaks to paddle. The staff are warm and helpful. And the guests were friendly and relaxed--I think you can tell a lot about a place based on who it attracts as guests.

Next time I'm in Belize, I will definitely be staying at Xanadu again. I will continue to recommend it to friends as well.

What a lovely experience.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo