“Belize Paradise!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
San Marcos, Texas
“Belize Paradise!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

We spent a week at Xanadu Resort, and it could not have been better! Our room was beautiful, looked right out on the beach. The beds were very comfortable as was the furniture. The staff at the resort was very accommodating and always available, from recommending restaurants, calling taxis and even mailing a package home for us. Kathy, Melanie, and Orlando, you were great and made us feel welcome, thanks! The resort was right in the middle of all the action, but was secluded and felt as if you were in the rain forest. The pool was very nice and there was swimming from the dock. We saw a ray right off the dock the first night! I would definitely recommend Xanadu Island Resort for couples or families.

Room Tip: Rooms are either pool view or beach view- your choice!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Syracuse
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

After hours of sorting through trip advisor, with no idea where we should go for our honeymoon, we stumbled upon Belize, and subsequently, Xanadu!

We are SO happy that we stayed there for our one week trip to San Pedro (we went in July!)

Rooms:
We stayed in room #3, the one bedroom two floor suite - it came with a full kitchen (had lots of utensils, a coffee maker, pots and pans, etc.) the view was beautiful, it was cool to have your own hammock! Great large comfy bed, two full bathrooms, two TVs (upstairs and downstairs) - no complaints!

Pool/Recreational activities:
BEAUTIFUL pool, we went in the "off season" so I'm not sure if this is true year round, but the pool was never crowded. There were plenty of lounge chairs surrounding the pool and on the beach property. A stark contrast for me, when I visited the dominican republic, and it was a fight to get a beach chair. While it's not white sandy beaches that lead into the ocean, there's areas to get into the ocean, and if you walk further down along other beach fronts, you can get the white sandy areas if you want it! We used the free bikes a few times as well as the free Kayaks and had a blast. There were always fresh towels available too! The office offers books and dvds for you to borrow in case you need some reading for the pool :)

Transportation:
San Pedro was not as difficult or scary to navigate as I first thought. We walked a lot (about a 15-20 minute walk to the main center), biked a few times (quicker, although then you have to be prepared for the golf carts and taxis passing you), and took many taxis ($5 US a ride per car! not bad at all!) Xanadu was excellent at calling taxis for us if we needed them!

Food:
We wanted the adventure of having to find food (i.e. not an all inclusive resort) so we chose Xanadu. It has no restaurant on the property, but this really isn't an issue at all. The hotels next door (a 2 minute or less walk via the beach front) have places for breakfast/lunch, the bakery next to Xanadu on the road has fresh baked rolls, bread, cinnamon rolls, smoothies, breakfast sandwiches, etc. etc. and there are plenty of grocery stores and fruit stands nearby for whatever else you might want. The front desk is happy to make recommendations for types of food, best places, and the info books they keep in your room have ratings and descriptions of many of the local restaurants. (I'll review our favorite restaurants separately!)

Excursions:
Booking through Xanadu was AMAZING - we had no idea we'd be getting our own private tour guide. We thought we were going on a bus (like the cruise ships) - it turned out, it was just us (2 people!!) + our guide, Onofre Vellos. It was amazing. He knew how to avoid the crowds, he drove us around, etc. We did the cave tubing, zip lining, and Xunantunich ruins hike. We loved all of it!! Xanadu made it so easy to book (we did it when we got there so we could see the weather reports) and flying tropic air was no problem. We also did snorkeling through Xanadu, and it was us + 6 other guests on a boat to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley - it was excellent :)

Other special things:
My husband set up a surprise dinner through Xanadu (they had a catering company that they brought in) for dinner on the beach!! It was delicious, personal, and I couldn't believe he set it up so far in advance without me knowing!

Staff:
Extremely friendly, polite, helpful, etc. - Jamil, Franz, and Melanie in particular helped us the most while we were actually at Xanadu - all the staff though, including house keeping, was very friendly. They are extremely personal, care about your visit, etc. - much better than staying at a chain hotel.

Overall environment:
The fact that it's not in the heart of town makes this hotel a secluded gem. The ground are kept impeccably clean, and are groomed each morning to remove twigs/leaves from the sand and walkways. The trees/shrubs/flowers are planted gorgeously and surround the pool and areas SO nicely. They truly are an eco friendly hotel (there are many reminders throughout your room on how to conserve water/energy/etc.).

We hope to go back again someday - it was an amazing trip and we are so thankful we chose Xanadu!!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Okyost
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

I can't say enough about this resort. Yes it is lacking a restaurant and a real bar. It's more interesting getting out and trying all the local restaurants and bars anyway. They did have beer available for when you sat by the pool so you could have some drinks. The staff was friendly and helpful, The location was perfect. Close enough to the main part of San Pedro to walk but far enough not to hear all the noise from the bars. The room was spacious and kept very clean while we were there. Even had a hammock on the patio to nap in during the afternoon. The snorkeling trip and sunset sail trip picked us up right at the dock at the resort. Even though there was no real beach to walk into the water you could swim off the end of the dock. Most of the beaches in this area of the island had a lot of sea grass It looked like the further north you were the less grass there was. They had different room styles and sizes to fit any family needs. Having the full kitchen with all the stuff you need was a nice option even though we didn't use it. We are able to get fresh beach towels whenever we needed them. And on top of all that they are an environmentally friendly certified resort. I will be back to this resort on our next trip.

Sleep Quality
Cassville, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

Staff was THE BEST! Housekeeping was impecible and the resort had beautiful accommodations. Several places to eat within a mile of the resort, very easy to walk or golf cart to town. Will definitely go back!!!

• Stayed June 2014
      Location
      Cleanliness
Clinton Township, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

I loved how everything was environmentally friendly. The location is perfect, the rooms are all so comfortable, and I felt at home. This resort is for all kinds of families wanting a quiet, relaxing adventure. The story of how it began is charming. I would go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kristin K
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

Just returned from San Pedro and wanted to share our experiences. Firstly, if you are thinking of San Pedro as a vacation destination the Xanadu is the place to go. Never have we been so pleased with the attention from the staff and that includes Ritz Carltons and Four Seasons resorts. Cathy, Franz, Melanie, Orlando, Jamel are the most attentive and make sure your vacation is everything it can be. We were moved to a smaller room the first night due to A/C issues but Cathy & Melanie could not have been nicer, generously offering us options to compensate for the inconvenience. We didn't have to ask, that is customer service.

Although there is not a beach as such, we hung out at our room overlooking the water. Room #1 was very private, large, clean and with a full kitchen that enabled us to make breakfast and drink our coffee on the veranda while watch the world go by. The Baker is 3 mins walk away with excellent bread and breakfast rolls. The 2 shops close by are expensive by US standards but suggest you visit the supermarket about 200 yards north of the Xanadu entrance (turn right).

Lots of good restaurants, Hidden Treasure and La Palmilla are the best but can be pricey. Both do pick you up and drop back so that's a bonus. Franz was great in getting us reservations. Rent golf carts, we did for blocks of 4 hours, no need to do 24 hours and pay for over night.

We didn't take any trips, we just needed to chill for a week but the Xanadu team will book all that for you.

The pool is great and not that busy until later in the day when the divers return.

This is an exceptional resort to stay with great people who really want you to have a relaxing no hassle time. We will return.

Room Tip: any room with a sea view, Suite #1 is very private with great views
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank AmericanEuropean
San Pedro, Belize
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

If you ever dreamed of visiting a resort that could leave you breathless, and leave your worries behind...Xanadu Island Resort might just be the answer to any and all of your vacation/getaway must go back places in the Caribbean.
True, I live on the Island with my wife for two years now. I have been to The West Indies, and as much as I love travelling, I just wanted a weekend alone with my wonderful wife, who had a birthday coming up. I wanted to do something special, so not just anyplace would do...but where?
A neighbour of mine told me he knew of a fantastic place just down the street. I had seen ads for Xanadu, but had only drove by, and briefly looked down the lane way. I knew it was on the beach, so I decided to go to the fb page to get more info. After seeing the pics, I wondered if all the rooms were as nice as the ones in the pics...
So the next day I rode by and walked around and true to form, the resort looked so private and secluded, I needed to try and book for the weekend.
I couldn't have asked for better service...what hotel calls you back to confirm your room, and let you know you can come anytime now?
I was greeted with a friendly smile and a warm welcome, a short visit to my room and I knew I made a really good decision. My wife and I spent the afternoon by the pool/ jungle, sipping complimentary rum punch (best rum punch ever) and retired to our suite. Did I mention that it was just the two of us? I was so surprised when I found out we were up-graded to the honeymoon suite, with oceanfront view, top floor with loft style bedroom?
I cannot describe how welcome we both felt, and we live here on the island!
I never realised that there was a resort as nice as Xanadu on this Island. The whole resort has a unique feel, quiet, whimsical and a charm I haven't found on very many vacations, or weekend getaways quit as special as this one was. I never wanted to get out of the pool, and I could have sat on the balcony forever watching the full moon rise over ambergris caye. Lets put it this way...I didn't want to go to work on monday morning, as a matter of fact, I wish I could call it home. So next time I need a break, I know where Im booking....Xanadu Island Resort, thank you for making our weekend/anniversary/birthday/getaway weekend special. ;)

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms have the best breeze, all day and night...No regrets here.
      Location