“Excellent, Wonderful, Amazing, etc.”

Xanadu Island Resort
Ranked #5 of 55 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed July 25, 2014

I can't say enough about this resort. Yes it is lacking a restaurant and a real bar. It's more interesting getting out and trying all the local restaurants and bars anyway. They did have beer available for when you sat by the pool so you could have some drinks. The staff was friendly and helpful, The location was perfect. Close enough to the main part of San Pedro to walk but far enough not to hear all the noise from the bars. The room was spacious and kept very clean while we were there. Even had a hammock on the patio to nap in during the afternoon. The snorkeling trip and sunset sail trip picked us up right at the dock at the resort. Even though there was no real beach to walk into the water you could swim off the end of the dock. Most of the beaches in this area of the island had a lot of sea grass It looked like the further north you were the less grass there was. They had different room styles and sizes to fit any family needs. Having the full kitchen with all the stuff you need was a nice option even though we didn't use it. We are able to get fresh beach towels whenever we needed them. And on top of all that they are an environmentally friendly certified resort. I will be back to this resort on our next trip.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,253)

Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

Staff was THE BEST! Housekeeping was impecible and the resort had beautiful accommodations. Several places to eat within a mile of the resort, very easy to walk or golf cart to town. Will definitely go back!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed July 23, 2014

I loved how everything was environmentally friendly. The location is perfect, the rooms are all so comfortable, and I felt at home. This resort is for all kinds of families wanting a quiet, relaxing adventure. The story of how it began is charming. I would go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kristin K
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Just returned from San Pedro and wanted to share our experiences. Firstly, if you are thinking of San Pedro as a vacation destination the Xanadu is the place to go. Never have we been so pleased with the attention from the staff and that includes Ritz Carltons and Four Seasons resorts. Cathy, Franz, Melanie, Orlando, Jamel are the most attentive and make sure your vacation is everything it can be. We were moved to a smaller room the first night due to A/C issues but Cathy & Melanie could not have been nicer, generously offering us options to compensate for the inconvenience. We didn't have to ask, that is customer service.

Although there is not a beach as such, we hung out at our room overlooking the water. Room #1 was very private, large, clean and with a full kitchen that enabled us to make breakfast and drink our coffee on the veranda while watch the world go by. The Baker is 3 mins walk away with excellent bread and breakfast rolls. The 2 shops close by are expensive by US standards but suggest you visit the supermarket about 200 yards north of the Xanadu entrance (turn right).

Lots of good restaurants, Hidden Treasure and La Palmilla are the best but can be pricey. Both do pick you up and drop back so that's a bonus. Franz was great in getting us reservations. Rent golf carts, we did for blocks of 4 hours, no need to do 24 hours and pay for over night.

We didn't take any trips, we just needed to chill for a week but the Xanadu team will book all that for you.

The pool is great and not that busy until later in the day when the divers return.

This is an exceptional resort to stay with great people who really want you to have a relaxing no hassle time. We will return.

Room Tip: any room with a sea view, Suite #1 is very private with great views
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank AmericanEuropean
Reviewed July 16, 2014

If you ever dreamed of visiting a resort that could leave you breathless, and leave your worries behind...Xanadu Island Resort might just be the answer to any and all of your vacation/getaway must go back places in the Caribbean.
True, I live on the Island with my wife for two years now. I have been to The West Indies, and as much as I love travelling, I just wanted a weekend alone with my wonderful wife, who had a birthday coming up. I wanted to do something special, so not just anyplace would do...but where?
A neighbour of mine told me he knew of a fantastic place just down the street. I had seen ads for Xanadu, but had only drove by, and briefly looked down the lane way. I knew it was on the beach, so I decided to go to the fb page to get more info. After seeing the pics, I wondered if all the rooms were as nice as the ones in the pics...
So the next day I rode by and walked around and true to form, the resort looked so private and secluded, I needed to try and book for the weekend.
I couldn't have asked for better service...what hotel calls you back to confirm your room, and let you know you can come anytime now?
I was greeted with a friendly smile and a warm welcome, a short visit to my room and I knew I made a really good decision. My wife and I spent the afternoon by the pool/ jungle, sipping complimentary rum punch (best rum punch ever) and retired to our suite. Did I mention that it was just the two of us? I was so surprised when I found out we were up-graded to the honeymoon suite, with oceanfront view, top floor with loft style bedroom?
I cannot describe how welcome we both felt, and we live here on the island!
I never realised that there was a resort as nice as Xanadu on this Island. The whole resort has a unique feel, quiet, whimsical and a charm I haven't found on very many vacations, or weekend getaways quit as special as this one was. I never wanted to get out of the pool, and I could have sat on the balcony forever watching the full moon rise over ambergris caye. Lets put it this way...I didn't want to go to work on monday morning, as a matter of fact, I wish I could call it home. So next time I need a break, I know where Im booking....Xanadu Island Resort, thank you for making our weekend/anniversary/birthday/getaway weekend special. ;)

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms have the best breeze, all day and night...No regrets here.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I booked a trip to Ambergris Caye as a celebration trip for my parents' 60th birthdays, and my 30th birthday. I researched all accommodations(checking for location, price, amenities, and resort size) in/near San Pedro and determined Xanadu was the best resort suited to our needs. Upon arrival, Xanadu not only best suited us BUT far exceeded our expectations. My family prefers smaller resorts so that we may get to know the staff better and so that they get to know us. Staff made dinner suggestions and reservations for us, offered us directions around town, made sure I got into the spa for an emergency aloe treatment, instructed me in a brief golf cart driving lesson....the list goes on and on! The property is well-maintained as I saw groundskeepers tending beds and raking the sand regularly. We were told they are even getting ready to re-thatch the roofs in September! The rooms themselves are unique, with rounded walls in the bathrooms, the spiral staircase in the 2 and 3 bedroom lofts(they will take your bags up them which we found very helpful!), and the covered patios complete with a hammock. This stay was unforgettable and I fully intend on visiting Xanadu in the very near future.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Joleen H
Reviewed July 9, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Xanadu in the last week of May. At first we were a little bummed that there wasn't a white sand beach to walk out on but the dock was great and always available. Very peaceful resort! All rooms are beautiful. The staff was so great. Franz, Melanie, Orlando, Jamel

The resort is spectacular. So nice and private. We had a golf cart to get around, which is a must in my opinion and when you are out and about you will realize how great you have it at Xanadu because there is really no other place that is that private on the island. I could see this working with a family too but it's better for a couple. If you have kids, they may want to be around other stuff, but all the excursions pick you up right at the dock.

When we arrived we had help with luggage and rum punches. Like I said before, the staff is very great. Our room was cleaned every day which was nice. Even the dishes.

We did the honeymoon package. The snorkeling trip was so awesome and we have great photos, but the fishing/snorkel trip was the best. We caught about 20 fish then went to an island and cooked them and had drinks, then went snorkeling. The private professional chef meal was a bit of a disappointment. It was kind of awkward. Two women showed up at an outside little bar area and had all the food pre-made and awkwardly stood there and watched us eat the appetizer and we felt rushed. Then they gave us the main coarse and walked about 10 feet away while we ate that. Then they came back and gave us desert, and I feel bad saying this, but the desert was awful! I didn't have the heart to tell her, but it was old and stale. They left shortly afterward. It was still cool to do, but we thought it was going to be more like a chef comes and cooks in front of us.

The sunset cruise was really cool. It wasn't sunny and it was very windy/cloudy, but the guys that took us out were great and it was so romantic. Really loved doing that! total privacy and you sit on the end of the boat and have drinks and home made chips and salsa.

The carts Belize is a must. Lots of fun.

Couples massage so HEAVENLY. It's about 50 yards from the resort right on the beach. They don't talk to you during the massage which is so important IMO so you can relax. Nothing is worse then when you get a romantic massage and they don't shut up! Pure professionals!

Be prepared to tip your butt off! Not at Xanadu. I mean, you should definitely tip the staff at Xanadu, as we did but we waited until the last day and tipped who helped us the most, but Xanadu staff never made you feel like you needed to. But that's about it. Everywhere else you go, people expect tips. If someone smiles at you on a street, they want a tip, at the airport, vendors, everything, we felt like we constantly had to reach in our packets to tip everyone for everything. Also, be ready for little sweet children to run up to you asking you to buy jewelry. They are cute, but it's pretty sad when you look far away in the distance and it's their mom waiting for them. They walk up to the edge of the pool and resort and entrance of the dock and send their 5 year old out to sell their jewelry or clothing so you will feel guilty if you don't buy it from them. We bought some when the actual woman walked up to us but when they used their child, we didn't want to support that. Xanadu does have signs up saying no solicitation and for the most part they aren't on the resort, but they do sneak in from time to time.

The grocery stores are a super rip off. I understand it's expensive because everything is shipped in, but just be aware that for a jar of cashews I paid $77 Belize. All Belize money is exactly double American. Eggs are cheap. But you're better off just eating out. Also, look at expiration dates. Almost everything is either close to expiring or way past expiration.

Hidden Treasures is a wonderful place to eat dinner. Get the key lime pie for desert!!!

We bought local rum for real cheap on the island and kept buying jugs of punch from Xanadu and making rum punches all week. The rum is real cheap and real good, but it says it's 80 proof and there is NO way that's correct. We would drink an entire liter before dinner some days and barely feel a thing. Also, the Belikin beer is decent, but it's only 8 ounces! It feels like 20 ounces because the glass is so heavy.

Xanadu doesn't have a bar, but they don't need one. You can get beers and drinks all day from the office and put it on your room tab so you don't need your wallet.

The only thing we wish we didn't do in Belize was go to the zoo. Total let down. We were in and out in 20 minutes and you couldn't see any of the animals up close unless they were in a good mood.

Highly recommend Zip Lining! That was a blast. Cave Tubing was good if you want to just relax and sit quiet and slowing float through a dark cave. Very cool to see natural sights like that, but the zip lining was way more fun. Both are at the same place so you might as well do both if you go to the main land.

All in all, Xanadu was terrific. Belize was amazing as well. I'm only pointing out negative things on here to help you have a better time but I highly recommend this island and if you go to Belize, you can't go wrong going to Xanadu. Between friendly staff, the private romantic feel and ease of getting anywhere you want on your golf cart, this place is a dream vacation spot. The beds are very comfortable, and the rooms are spacious. The AC gets super loud around 3:00AM every night and doesn't cool upstairs very well, but that may have just been our room. The showers are great, the hammock on the deck is great, the deck itself is large and perfect for eating. They have free kayak's and snorkel equipment which we utilized a ton. You will be VERY happy here. I just changed it from 4 stars to 5 because the resort really had no issues besides the AC situation. I'd give 4 stars to the overall trip we had but Xanadu gets a 5!

Thank you!

Room Tip: I think as cool as the spiral staircase was, if we go back, we want a flat one story room so the AC...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple