“Super people, super accomodation”

Xanadu Island Resort
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Ingrid and Melanie were so fantastic during our recent stay at Xanadu - thank you, thank you, thank you! Whenever we had a question, they were quick to research and provide us with options and recommendations. Our suite at Xanadu was perfect for our family of four. It is a very easy walk into town, and just far enough away to be a quiet retreat. Our kids enjoyed the hammock and the lazy afternoons in the heat. Thank you for a fantastic stay!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Beautiful island makes you feel like you've lived there forever! Got off the plane and walked across the street to a beach bar welcomed by locals, music and great cocktails! Had a man rent and deliver a golf carry to the bar, loaded up the luggage and off down the street to the most secluded, tropical resort ever! Private pier takes you right out over the stunningly clear water, or lay out by the pool all day!

Amazing staff booked all my adventures: top? Snorkel trip to the underwater National Park!! Took a sunset catamaran cruise with dolphins swimming along beside, a massage in a hut built out over the water so you fall asleep to the sound of the ocean while getting a seaweed wrap!!

Food was amazing! Loved the spices!

Can't wait to get back!!

Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank C T F
Reviewed March 15, 2014

A good sized group of us recently went to Ambergris Caye to celebrate our friend’s Jeff and Emily’s wedding. We stayed at the beautiful Xanadu Island Resort. The resort is the perfect blend of wild jungle meets well manicured grounds. While the resort is beautiful, it is the staff that truly make this place special. Each and every one of staff worked above and beyond to accommodate our needs. Whether it was rearranging tours, modifying flights or recommending restaurants, they were there helping with a great upbeat attitude.

Our rooms were very unique. We stayed in unit #18 which encompasses the 2nd and 3rd floors of one of the dome structures. While not overly roomy in the bedrooms, the unit was very comfortable and clean. Be warned, there is a spiral staircase that leads up to the bedrooms. I found this very fun, but some may find this uncomfortable if not sure of their footing. There was a nice kitchen and living room as well as a very large deck. The deck sits under a thatched room and has a hammock and decent sized dining table.

The pool area was beautiful and clean. LOTS of tropical vegetation. We loved the nearby service desk for easy access to a cold beverage or beach towel.

The resort is well connected with great tour operators. They helped set up snorkeling, diving and ruins trips for us and all of the tours were top notch.

As for the wedding, the Xanadu crew did a great job of organizing a very special and memorable event.

Overall, I was very happy with Xanadu and would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank RumBoy
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed at Xanadu Island Resort in February, for our 4th or 5th time. The only times we have not stayed here is when we waited too long to book our reservations and they were full. We have gone as a couple, as multiple couples, couples with young adults and every other way you can imagine taking a vacation.

the setting is absolutely amazing, serene, right on the water, beautiful landscaping that gets better and better each year and a very relaxing pool. But, better than the vista, the staff is what makes it perfect. From the helpful taxi driver that brings you from the airport to the guy that hauls your heavy luggage to your room and all the amazing people in between that are always there to assist you in whatever you may need, it is a group of people that absolutely love what they do and it shows.

Thank you everyone at Xanadu for making our stay perfect. We WILL be back next year.

Room Tip: We prefer rooms 8 or 9 but every room is amazing.
1  Thank shandajr
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed in this resort from February 24 to March 1, 2014. Overall, I could not be happier. It is quiet, clean, beautiful. There are only 18 units, so there is absolutely no feel of any crowding. The grounds are impeccable. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable, with full amenities. When planning this trip, I had been concerned that there was no restaurant or bar on site, but that was actually a good thing. I rented a golf cart for the week, and had ready access within minutes to many wonderful places to eat. (I thought the food was excellent at Waruguma, Elvi's, Hurricane's, and George's Kitchen).

The staff at Xanadu are wonderful. They seemed to know me before I arrived. Workers whom I had maybe met once called me by name, and they knew without looking at their records what activities I had scheduled. They can and will readily book anything you need. They scheduled my flight from BZE to SPR, my transfers, all my dive and snorkeling trips, excursion to the Lamanai Mayan ruins, and dinner reservations. They are friendly, responsive, helpful. Couldn't be better or nicer.

As for anything not wonderful, I can think of only two things. There is no hot-tub at the resort. That would not in the least keep me from staying there again, but it would be so nice to warm up after a last dive for the day. The other matter is there was no mirror above the sink in my unit (I can't remember what number, but it was a single). There is a window there instead (which of course you will keep closed anyway). The mirror is set off to the left of the sink, just in front of the toilet. It was awkward and a little messy (shave cream drippings on the floor and wall) to shave in that location. Again, this is very minor, but I think easily fixable.

I highly recommend this resort!

1  Thank Robert J
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Our occasion was that of a fiftieth birthday get away for a group of 8 who all suffered that affliction during the course of the last year. We decided to get together to lick our wounded spirits with diving, snorkeling, fishing and rum punch imbibing.

Upon arrival we received a very warm welcome from the staff including rum punch drinks. The staff was extremely helpful an knew what information we needed now and what we would need after we settled in a bit. So staff wise they get an excellent rating. Our suite was clean and the fridge was stocked with a gallon jug of water and a couple other items were found in the kitchen to make our first morning in paradise a bit more idyllic.

Every aspect of our stay was comfortable. Whether whiling away the hours on our outdoor seating area, beach front dug out log bench, or out on the end of the dock, the experience was relaxed and restorative. I highly recommend Xanadu for small groups such as ours. At no time did we get the feeling that we were staying in a resort/hotel. Most all of the amenities were there but none of the crowds around the pool kind of thing. It felt like we were stay at a friends beach front condo except that we had our own suite.

The fact that there was no restaurant was actually a blessing because it provided an opportunity to go into town and see the people while sampling some of the best local dishes. El Fogon, Elvi's, La Pamilla, Waraguma's were all excellent and they come highly recommended from a guy who is very critical in his restaurant reviews. Wild Mangos was pretty good, Rico's was only fair and made two of us sick, and Crazy Canuks is to be avoided for food entirely. It is disgraceful and filthy in the kitchen. When you eat out try the local seafood such as stone crab, spider crab, gulf lobster and snapper. Be aware that the lesser quality establishments will substitute trash fish while representing it as grouper on the menu and avoid ordering anything that simply describes the dish as fish (blank).

Ride the bikes around town (they are free to borrow). But if you want to cover a lot of territory you should get a golf cart. It's lots of fun and Xanadu can arrange this for you although it is cheaper if you make your own arrangements.

Now for the only reasons why Xanadu didn't get an excellent rating from me. The first is that two of our couples stayed in unit 17 and the suite had an incredible mildew odor which I would find unbearable. But my friends who are tougher than me and retired military found that they could cope with it and never notified management. Whatever the case just don't rent suite 17 until they deal with the mildew issue. All other units were fine though. The second was simply that the fishing guide they recommended wasn't very good. It seemed like he wanted to do a tour rather than catch fish. I did find a great captain though. Try Capt. John on the Kelly J. We caught beautiful snapper and trigger and I cooked them up at the beach front grilling bar. It couldn't have been more perfect.

Too much said, just go to Xanadu.

Room Tip: Some of the suites require a climb up a very small circular set of stairs to get up to the loft bedr...
5  Thank paul s
Reviewed February 28, 2014

The second we got here I knew we picked the right place to stay at! The staff was very friendly and greeted us with some delicious punch. After a long journey it was delightful that they helped us with our bags. This is not a chain hotel-more like a jungle retreat with thatched grass roofs. On the first night we stayed in a one bedroom unit. It was clean, comfortable and spacious for 2 people. The kitchen was awesome to have as I made breakfast in the morning! The pool is gorgeous and the views from their dock on the beach are magical. I could have sat out on that dock forever! The second night we had a 2 bedroom suite with a full kitchen, including a spiral staircase! I loved it! We had our own hammock outside our door, it truly is a place you can relax. I also love that they include bicycles and kayaks! We even borrowed some fins to snorkel with! They were SO helpful connecting us with our tours! I would definitely stay here again!

5  Thank Anna K