We chose Xanadu because of it's #1 raiting on Tripadvisor and from all the comments. We were deceived. Why hasn't anyone mentioned all the trash on the beach and in the water. What about the beauty of the Carribbean Sea missing?
I was in shock over the lack of beautiful beach and sea. After a few day adjustment period, my husband and I were able to relax. My husband is a big scuba diver, which is the reason we chose Ambergris Caye as our destination. After extensive research I learned that I was not going to find any luxurious hotels for my family (myself, husband and 3 daughters ages 4 1/2, 8, and 10) and another family to call home for 8 nights. Because Ambergris Caye is considered one of the top dive sites, we would suck it up.
We were in a 3 bedroom/2 bath unit on the 2nd floor. Our friends were next to us in a 2 bed. loft set up. The masterbedroom in our unit had a knee wall separating it from the living area. Pull down blinds were there for privacy - no wall. Needless to say, any intimacy was difficult. A thin spiral staircase leads up to 2 real bedrooms. However, I experience much anxiety over my children sleeping upstairs. I was concerned that they would get hurt coming down, especially during the night. Luckily this did not happen. The accommodations are basic and clean. The kitchen is fully equipped, and there is a market very close by. Even so, it would have been nice if there was a coffee bar. snack hut/tropical drink type set up out near the beach and pool. While relaxing if you were hot, hungry, or thirsty you had to go to your room to satisfy any desire. We like being served water and other refreshments while chilling by the pool/beach. It enhances the vacation experience.
While I state the things that were missing for us, I must give Kudos to Robert, Stacey, and Susan. Their communication with our party before our travels to Xanadu were exceptional. Robert is extremely helpful and caring. When my friend and I were on the beach with the 5 kids (the guys were diving) and a stranger approached, Robert was there checking out the situation. He must have a hidden camera, because he never missed a beat. We felt very safe. Our children enjoyed him. He cut down coconuts and opened them for them and helped them collect shells and look for hermit crabs.
Xanadu provides free internet access. We had some trouble and it took 3 requests before Martin came up for a look and fixed the situation. I should also point out that a bolt holding a planting partition which holds the hammocks of the 2 connecting units came out of the wall while my friend was resting on his hammock and my husband got on our hammock to relax. I immediately called the front desk to let them know. Martin said he would come have a look, but we did not see him that evening. I had to mention it again the next morning.
I walked along the beach (which has a lot of garbage) to see the Victoria House. We did not stay there because we were told it has no beach. Their beach is at least 3x the size of Xanadus. There were massage tables on the beach and my daughter and I witnessed a couple having manicures on their patio. This probably would have been more my speed. They also have several little pools, a pool/beach bar, and a restaurant.
We did eat at some good restaurants and one terrible one -at Mata Chica. I think it is called Mambos. While a very cool atmosphere, some of the food was not edible and the service was horrible.
We like Sunset Grill the best. It's on the lagoon with big Tarpin fish swimming around. They feed the Tarpin, which the kids really enjoyed. We also like Caramba, El Patio, and Elvis.
Don't miss a snorkel trip to Shark Ray Ally with Russell and I can't remember the other guys name. He was great. We held the sharks, pet them.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Unique, Boutique, Romantic and Eco-friendly! Imagine tranquility settling over you like a mist over the ocean; kick off your shoes and stroll amongst the natural vegetation past the water features and onto the beach. Breathe in the fresh ocean air as you wander down the long pier to relax on the sun loungers under the thatched palapa and gaze out over the barrier reef to the deep blue waters of the Caribbean Sea. Settle in and experience the uniqueness of the monolithic dome buildings and enjoy the romantic setting of your private veranda. When you are ready to explore, visit the friendly staff at the front desk to arrange tours or to use the complimentary bicycles, paddle boards and kayaks. Experience all this at the unique, boutique, Green Globe certified Xanadu Island Resort – a touch of luxury and romance in harmony with nature. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Xanadu Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Xanadu Island Resort Belize Hotel San Pedro
- Xanadu Island Hotel
- Xanadu Island San Pedro
- Xanadu Island Resort Belize/San Pedro