“An outstanding resort with superior accommodations & exceptionally friendly staff”

Xanadu Island Resort
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Mashpee, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2011

My husband and I couldn't have asked for a nicer resort on the island - wonderful location, accommodating and helpful personnel. Well-maintained and very clean spacious rooms. Normally, we do not stay in exclusive hotels, but the high prices for this resort were well worth the expense. I was especially impressed by the "monolithic dome" structures - "green" efforts are well-ahead of most other resorts world-wide...safe in 300 mph winds! Wow! (of course, we don't know what would happen in a tsunami!!!) My only recommendation was that the hotel might want to consider a small cafe/restaurant on or immediately next to the resort - for guests' convenience only.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Montpelier, VT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2011

At Xanadu, my family experienced a great value for the cost. The location on the water is beautiful with fine swimming off a deep water pier or in the tree shaded pool. The location is near restaurants, downtown shopping, and numerous water activities (snorkeling and scuba pick you up at the pier in front of the resort.) The accommodations include the three bedroom, three bath condominium with a full kitchen that we rented. It was comfortable, clean, spacious and perfectly suited for our needs. The single most lasting impression I have relates to the professionalism and helpfulness of the Xanadu staff. Every arrangement that was made for us (including frequent taxi rides, snorkeling at the reef off-shore, and change of flights for six people were handled efficiently and with no stress to us. The employees are what distinguish the Xanadu Island Resort from other locations. I recommend this resort enthusiastically. Jean, Vermont

Room Tip: Tell the staff what your needs are .
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Mandan, North Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

We decided to stay at Xanadu because of trip advisor comments and all the positive comments were true. I could go on and on about how wonderful our stay was but if you just look at all the reviews you will get the picture. We got in touch with our friends while we were there and booked right away for next year. We dove with Ecological Divers and they were wonderful. We brought back a video of our dive and when we have one of our snow storms we can watch our video and go back to paradise.h We also took a BBQ/fishing trip with Tuff N Uff Tours and we had a wonderful time. We got to fish and cook what we caught, they also caught lobster and conch and cooked it all up for us. The snorkeling was great also. We got to know one of the staff members real well, his name is Orlando and he was a joy to visit with to learn more about Belize and Ambergris Caye. We have traveled to many islands in the Carribean and we like the quaintness and relaxed atmosphere of Ambergris Caye and Xanadu.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank njeromchek
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

My wife and I arrived to Xanadu on Saturday, March 26. We read so many positive reviews, that we decided we had to stay at Xanadu at least part of our trip. The reviews didn't disappoint us! Everything that has been written about the resort is absolutely true. The rooms are beautiful (we stayed in both room 16 and room 3), the grounds are pristine, the location is close to perfect..... And the staff...wow. Blanca, Jamil and Jesus take wonderful service to the next level!!!!!! For example, we went cave tubing and had to postpone our return flight from Belize City. Our cave tubing guide (vital tours) changed the flights for us. When we get to the airport, tropic air informed us that we could not get on the next flight because they were booked and we didn't call an hour in advance to cancel (the call was made 55 minutes in advance). They also said that the next flight was booked, so we would have to stay in Belizs City for at least another two and a half hours. Mind you, our tickets were already paid for. I was eager to get back and said in my blunt NY way, how much do I have to pay to get on this flight? The tropic air attendant immediatley said 136 Belizean dollars. Of course i pointed out that it was completely shady that I could pay extra to get on a flight that was "totally booked" just seconds ago. To end the issue, I paid the extra money and jumped on the flight back to Xanadu. As soon as we arrived at the front desk, Blanca flagged us, mentioned that she heard we were given a hard time by the airport, and told us not to worry about the cost because it would be refunded. She apologized (although it was clearly no fault of hers) and said that if we ever get into a similar situation to call the resort and they would handle it. To top it off, when we got back to our rooom, there was a chilled bottle of Pinot waiting for us...... That my friends is stellar, top notch service from people who give a damn. You simply can't put a price on it. Thank you, Blanca!!! Thank you, Xanadu!!!!

1 Thank Sofocused
St. Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

My husband and I traveled to Xanadu for our honeymoon. It was 4 months after our wedding since I'm a teacher and didn't want to take off that much work after the wedding. It gave us something to look forward to, and it definitely delivered!

We found Xanadu on this site, and it didn't disappoint. It went above and beyond our expectations. It was easy to make reservations over email and all of the information they gave me over email on reservation policies and activities were very informative! I planned our activities about a month in advance, thanks to Jamil, who replied to all my emails and planned everything we wanted!

When we arrived, we were greeted with rum punch and showed our room. We stayed in room 4, which is the smallest (studio), which suited us - we were barely there! The view also was better than expected - we could see some ocean and also the pool. The thing I love about this resort is that it feels quiet and private. Not to crowded, even when full. Even the kids around were not loud or obnoxious. It's a laid back place. Our room had the full kitchen, which we used. We used the supermarket to buy breakfast and lunch items and ate on our patio every day.

The activities desk - Jesus and Jamil - was amazing. So friendly, personable and knowledgeable! When our sunset cruise got canceled hours before we were going to go, Jamil re-booked us with another tour operator immediately. We didn't even know til right before. It was taken care of! El Gato worked out SO well, was a great guide and his catamaran is awesome (and even has a bathroom!) All our tours were wonderful (also of note was Lil Alfonse, who gave a great snorkel tour!).

Orlando also made our experience better. He was so friendly and like everyone, knew our names. He cut some coconuts for us to make coconut water rum punch, yum! Great guy.

I love the location of this place - we walked to town several times with no problem and there are eateries closer to the resort to get an easy breakfast or lunch too. They gave recommendations, arranged taxis, and were all around helpful. We spent so much time on the end of the dock, just relaxing. We also used the (newly heated) pool a lot, which was like a bath. Good call on the heater!

We took the water taxi here and it was long and uncomfortable - and so we decided to fly back. We paid $30 for the taxi and only $35 for the flight. FLY and ask Xanadu to arrange it for you, they will and it's much easier and very scenic!

Bonus - you get a 20% discount the next time you stay here. We can't wait to return. This really is paradise.

1 Thank rubyiu
St. Paul, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

My husband and I picked Xanadu for our wedding based on photos and reviews and we couldn't be happier with our choice. The rooms and grounds are beautiful! The pool was the best we saw on the island. The hammocks on the decks were so nice too. Room 3 has the best view of the sea! Believe me, it's a good thing that there is no restaurant because it keeps the place private and quiet. It also gives you a reason to explore San Pedro. the kitchen was nice too as well as the outdoor BBQ area.

Make sure you go try the street food at night in the park on the beach. It was better and cheaper than the food in any of the restaurants.

However, as several people have mentioned, it's the people at Xanadu that make the place so special. Blanca took care of all the wedding details and reserved the sunset sail and dinner before we even got there. She also knew all of our names by the first full day! Jesus was super helpful at the activities desk and helped my 9 year old daughter identify the fish she saw snorkeling. He also organized 2 excursions for our group. We did the snorkling and BBQ cruise with El Gato and I highly recommend it. We also went on the cave tubing, zip line, Xununtanich tour through Vitalino Reyes. We had our own private guide, Gerson, and it was a fabulous day!

Orlando was so friendly too! He even got a coconut and had my daughter help open it and he taught us all about the coconuts and the different wildlife. Such a cool guy!

The staff at Xanadu will bend over backwards for you and make you feel so welcome. I've traveled quite a bit and have never seen anything like it. I cried when we had to leave for the airport and that has never happened before. We can't wait to come back and celebrate our anniversary!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2011

Going to a foreign country is a little scary, to say the least. We felt right at home from the moment we arrived. Welcoming with a capital W. Quiet with a capital Q and friendly with a capital F. I felt safe and everyday was a new adventure. The pro are that there was no restaurant or bar. One can walk to town in 15 minutes and restaurants even closer. After a busy day, we often chose to eat in. the fully stocked kitchen and grocery store a block away made that happen. I can't say enough about this resort other than to say we are going back....next year!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple