“Great Views, Great Location and Great Service!”

Exotic Caye Beach Resort
Ranked #42 of 55 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed February 6, 2011

Exotic Caye is in the traditional Belizian style with soaring talapa roofs, fully stocked kitchenettes, right on the beach. Walking distance to downtown San Pedro, either by road or beach. On sight resturants and bars. Magnificent sunrises and wonderful tropical breezes off turquoise waters between the reef and the deep. Staff was simply outstanding; every need attended to.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed February 3, 2011

I just returned from a delightful vacation - my first time to Ambergris Caye - and stayed at the Exotic Caye. While admittedly not the newest property on the Caye or the most luxurious, it was simply perfect! My condo (i.e. hut) was basic - but clean, comfortable, and roomy. It had everything that I needed. The location was perfect - a pleasant walk to anything and everything. The staff and service were perfect. The managers, Kelley and Paul along with the Exotic Caye team, make you feel welcomed and appreciated. The property is safe, and the on-site dining options are among the best in San Pedro. Access to the San Pedro Fitness Club is an added bonus. While it too is basic/no frills and even a bit dated, it has any/all equipment anyone would need to maintain their fitness regemine while in Belize. This was a huge plus for me, as I am not aware of any other property that has access to a fitness facility (and the pool is gorgeous!) Aside from WED night kareoke across the street that did impair my 1st night's sleep, I was very well rested and most comfortable for my entire stay.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank suzyyogi
Reviewed January 31, 2011

Besides the best view of the ocean from your room, the service is outstanding. We have stayed at Exotic Caye several times and it is one of the reasons we now own our own place down the road. Paul and Kelly are the best - there is nothing they won't do to make your stay memorable. Kelly even drove me to a doctor one day!

The resort is certainly not on the international scene, but it is comfortable and warm. If you want a huge pool, they have one that is located (with a health club) about two blocks inland - the largest pool on the island. Besides the fun bar (Crazy Canuck's) and an great restaurant (Blue Iguana Grill) on the premises, you are walking distance to a number of other eateries, a grocery store, fruit and vegetable stand, and a short walk down the beach to town.

Anyone who stays here will feel at home and part of the community so quickly, you will return time and time again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2011

We stayed at exotic caye for 5 nights. The room we stayed in was spacious and spotlessly clean. We treated ourselves to the 'honeymoon' suite, the bed was massive and comfortable and we had the added bonus of a hot tub in the room.

Kelly and Paul run a tight ship. We found them friendly and helpful, nothing would be too much trouble.

The resort is slightly out of the main strip, but it's nice to walk up and down the beach.

The review from 6 jan does have a fair point about the clientele, however, I think with it being out of season the resort didn't have the mix of people it usually would.

I would definitely recommend Exotic Caye if you are looking for a nice place in San Pedro.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed January 8, 2011

I wound up here by chance after a bad experience at another hotel. Maya who works at the Cafe put me in contact with the owner after venting over a good breakfast at Ms. Saras cafe which is on the resort property. See Maya, she's is such a plesant person and a good way to start your day with coffee and breakfast

Kelly the owner, with her husband Paul, offered a room at a good rate and I moved in even though I had the other booking. Her husband Paul walk me around and
explained all the resort has to offer and what there is to do.

Kelly and Paul made me feel welcome and took care of everything I asked for.

Definitely get a golf cart while in San Pedro if you want to go out and about yourself. Otherwise taxis and boats are available

See the Bartender Ali at the Crazy Canucks bar on site. He took us fishing and we caught lots of fish.

The room was incredible, the AC is in the bed room, however it is not really needed in the kitchen and living area. It's a thatched roof in one half, so running AC is not practical, and it's cool enough in the PM without AC. I had to shut the ceiling fan off it's was that cool. You can also open your front doors and let the Ocean breeze come in. Your balcony overlooks the ocean!

Down town is about a 15 minute walk or a quick cab ride. But most services are near the resort. There is a tasty restaurant on site open till midnight, a pizza joint across the street, a supermarket to stock your cozy kitchen, and a fesh veg/fruit stand a minute away. There also is a hardware store if that's what you need

My main purpose for San Pedro was fishing a they do have it. Barracuda, Spanish Mackrael, snapper, you name it's out there. You can fish from shore, but boat is best

I would recommend this resort to anyone who wants a great vacation. It won't be on lifestyles of the rich and famous, but you will be completely satisfied with what Kelly and Paul have to offer. There staff is always out and about and will take care of all your needs while chillin with regular folks on the island. Yachts are available if that's needed, just ask Kelly and Paul and they will arrange it for you!

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed January 6, 2011

As part of a major trip through Central America this was one place I counted on for rest and relaxation in somewhat luxury (I assumed by the rates this would be luxury), but I was wrong. I booked it through an auction site and even at the rates I got a "1 bedroom" for, i would not have paid them. The place was grotesquely dirty and reminded me of places in southern florida with cheap furniture and gawdy tropical decor (if this is your thing, so be it; its not mine). The air conditioner was in the bedroom thus you have to stay in the bedroom to stay cool. The place was very tiny other than that. Please see the uploaded pictures. The location was quite a distance from the main piers in town. I went to the bar twice and really didn't enjoy the crowd. The crowd is older and seemed to be the type of people who go down to Belize for their annual vacation and not straying from the tourist traps. Horseshoes are available on the beach, the pool is as big as some jacuzzis, and in general, when I was there, the place was nearly vacant. I also had problems with the reservations (major problems). Skyauction was used and I am currently writing the Better Business Bureau about the problems...whether the problems were with Skyauction or Exotic Caye will be found over due time. The WIFI does not work well at all. The last night I needed to do some work and of course it did not work. The security guard on duty had no idea and said the next day someone will get to it. I had the manager, Paul German, come to the resort to fix it. As soon as he got there it worked but he said it was working all of the time which is bs. He then stated the security guard doesn't know anything about that technology stuff...well all it took was to reset the modem...the press of a button on and the press of a button off. This was my last night at this place thank goodness as the longer I was there (stayed 5 nights) the more I found the place to be neglected and wont in standards. Again, if you are a couple from the midwest who likes to socialize over beers with other midwesterners and play horseshoes, this may be your place.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank wanderingtheworld200
Reviewed December 29, 2010

Kelly and Paul customized our family's vacation activities to include transportation, fishing, snorkeling, sunset cruise, in-room spa massages and dinner reservations. You cannot find any personal service better than this. Incredible Christmas for our family of 6. We had a glorious time. Great location. Convenient to town and key venues. Incredible service.

My family will always look back at this vacation as one of their favorites. Will be back again and again and again.....

• Stayed: December 2010