“Love Exotic Caye! Great family place”

Exotic Caye Beach Resort
Ranked #41 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed February 4, 2009

Exotic Caye Resort in Belize is a hidden Jewel! It is a wonderful place to just kick back and relax. If you want to experience Island life rather than a "concrete jungle", relax on the most beautiful piece of beach on the island and have wonderful hospitality from the staff...then go here. The management and staff where very helpful and made any arrangements we needed for excursions to dive or tour the mainland. Our children loved the place! They spent hours at the beach as well as enjoyed the swimming pool until they where too tired to move! They also, made friends with a lot of the local children and learned so much....the local kids taught them how to catch hermit crabs, iguanas, geckos and how to have fun without TV and Nintendo! The accommodations where more than adequate. We had a one bedroom Casita. It was clean and in good repair. It had air conditioning, a small kitchen, cable TV and was very clean!

In summary our family had a wonderful experience at Exotic CAye Resort.!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed January 31, 2009

Don't even consider this place if you want to fully enjoy your stay at Ambergris Caye. The review about the ants does not come close to how badly this place needs renovations. The wood is rotting, especially the steps. the pool is a cheap looking portable that nobody uses, who would? The bar is used mainly by locals who turn their children loose while they drink or worse, they try to sell you things or panhandle.

I tried this place and felt that I had made a mistake after staying there. On the second day of my trip, the rotting steps to my unit became so slick that no matter how careful I was, I slipped each time I used them. I fell from the 3rd step to the bottom and injured my hip badly. I also hit my head in the fall. I had to lay there several minutes to gather myself up. Even worse, when I reported it to the security and the front desk, nothing was done. No repairs, no mats, and no apology. I even told the manager about it at checkout and was met with indifference.

This place is basically a dump compared to the nice places along the beach which are much cheaper. I would not stay there again if it were free. Trust me, don't mae the same mistake as I did.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
6  Thank rlrinky
Reviewed August 26, 2008

Everyone and everything was SUPER. from the minute we checked in to the minute we left. Everyone is so friendly and helpful and goes above and beyond what is asked.
We stayed in unit 6 D we has a Great ocean view and pool view and a really comfortable bed.
I highly recommend this place to anyone who wants a relaxing trip with Super service.

4  Thank mcenroed
Reviewed June 16, 2008

My story is a little unique. My girlfriend and I went to San Pedro with a guy that I was seeing, and things didnt exactly work out. So after a few days of this he decided that us girls had to go, and since he had paid for our room we really did have to go!! Being the social butterflies that we are we had made friends with the people that run the dive shop at Exotic Caye the first day we were there, so we asked them if they knew a place for cheap we could stay for the duration of our stay. They did. Exotic Caye Beach Resort. They hooked us up with "The MAN" who let us stay there for $50 a NIGHT!! And we got maid service!!! Dont get excited people, we only got that rate because they were temporarily closed due to a recent hurricane. The pool was not in working condition, there was no phone, the television didnt work, there was bugs, and we had to share a bed. But WHO CARES. Youre in BELIZE. The only thing Ive experienced more amazing and surreal next to being here and swimming five feet from giant sea turtles and hiking thru the jungle for hours to see history is when I saw the Dali Lama. There was a hot shower, a bed to sleep in, good food for cheap, and lastly the best seafood I've ever had, and I grew up in Florida. So to all the whiners out there let me give you a little advice if you want Cancun, go to Cancun. And a quick question, ''Why do you go to foreign countries and want and/or expect American amenities?"

• Stayed: November 2004, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank ebeachgirl
Reviewed March 24, 2008

I found Exotic Caye Beach Resort to be rustic and quaint. Although not posh, the staff more than makes up for that. I arrived to have Evalee know who I was immediately and call me by name. She and Rose were always there when I needed something or wanted to make reservations for an activity. Ali was at Crazy Canucks every night to make up our favorite drinks. Our room was cleaned up every morning and clean towels were left. The frig and mircowave in the kichenette were clean and dishes were available in the cupboard. India was always sweet and friendly when we stopped at Monkey Bites for breakfast or lunch and they had yummy food. All the resort units face the beach and the pool is right there in front, it's an absolutely beautiful view and the pool was pristine and refreshing. A little way out from the beach you'll run into some short seagrass. If you really want to swim, to the left you'll see Woody's Wharf...there's a deck at the end with chairs, shaded area and hammock. The swimming area is clear of seaweed, about 4' 10" deep at the stairs and roped off. We were lucky enough to see a sting ray swim in and out of the area one day. Look for sea horses clinging to the ropes dangling on the boat docks. Our second floor room had a real palm roof, which I thought was fun...even when we got a little palm debris on the floor one night after some really heavy wind. I would approximate Exotic Caye to be about 3/4 of a mile from town, it's an easy walk along the beach. You might consider bringing a flashlight to walk the beach at night because some areas are fairly dark. I never felt threatened or unsafe at anytime while I was in San Pedro. The people are smiling and kind and willing to help you. There are loads of shops and restaurants within easy walking distance and you can eat fairly cheaply. On the street side of Exotic Caye you'll find a grocery store a short walk down the road. If you're looking for fancy, schmancy, Exotic Caye is not for you, but it's down home and friendly as can be. Afterall, when you're in paradise why would you stay holed up in a hotel room? I would stay there again in a heartbeat. One last plug...if you want to go on an excursion, check out Sea-rious Adventures, they're located on the beach side of Wild Mango Restaurant. We went to Lamanai with Aaron and Carlos as our guides and snorkeled Hol Chan and Shark Ray with Martin John and Ralph before sailing on to Caye Caulker for the afternoon. These guides were amazingly knowledgeable, kind, friendly and rightly proud of their country and way of life. I felt like they existed just to impart interesting information and make sure I had fun. Safety was of the utmost importance and they made sure I was well fed and hydrated with water, soda, beer or rum punch. You can't beat it! So go on a Sea-rious Adventure!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank RedHeadDo
Reviewed March 4, 2008

We stayed at Exotic Caye beach resort from 2/24/08 to 3/2/08. We stayed in a Standard 1-bedroom, unit 5A (ground level); our friends were in 4A (deluxe 2-bedroom) and 5B (standard 1-bedroom). Everyone was extremely happy with our accomodations. Our unit was mostly hidden behind lush tropical foliage, yet we had a wonderful cooling breeze when sitting on our porch. We had a kitchen with a mini-frig, stove, microwave, coffee maker and dishes. There was a dining table & chairs and a sofa and coffee table in the living area. The air conditioner was in the large bedroom and cooled the whole unit. Our bathroom was small, with just a shower, but it was ok for us. It was spotlessly clean, and the housekeeping staff worked hard to keep everything fresh, clean, and always stocked with plenty of towels! We never saw any bugs, except some ants on the porch when we dripped orange juice (we washed them away with water). We had a grocery service stock our kitchen with beverages and snacks before we arrived, which was wonderful - we had cold beer when we got to the resort!

The resort is so nice - the staff is always grooming the beach to remove the seaweed that washes up. By the way, this happens everywhere on the beaches of Ambergris Caye, because of the barrier reef. Yes, some parts of the beach have trash on hem also, but not at Exotic Caye. There are hammocks and plenty of plastic lounge chairs on the beach, as well as loungers around the pool. The pool was clean, and we did not see any type of disrepair. Several of us in our group used the pool every day, and were very happy with it. The dive operator, Ocean Adventure Tours, was awesome! We dove 4 days with Bondy and Joe, and most of the time we were the only divers so we basically had a private guide. They offer all sorts of tours to the mainland, as well as scuba and snorkel trips. Even when the weather got rough toward the end of the week, they were able to take us to some nice dive sites.

The restaurant, Monkey Bites, was a great place to eat breakfast! The food was excellent - we especially enjoyed the One-Pan Ham Scramble and the Cinnamon French Toast. The average prices were $12-14 belizean, which is $6-7 US dollar. They also served lunch till 3:00 pm daily, but we never got a chance to try their lunch menu. The restaurant is closed on Sunday.

We went to Crazy Canuck's several times, but it never seemed to be as busy or active as we expected, except for Saturday night when Dennis Wolfe was playing, and Jerry Jeff Walker dropped in to sing with Dennis. That was the only time the bar was hopping. We saw more activity at BCs Beach Bar, and Wet Willy's (even on the nights Jerry Jeff Walker wasn't playing there!). It wasn't that big a deal - I bought 2 cases of beer for our condo because it was less expensive than drinking in the bars.

We rented a golf cart to get around the island. We went into town several times, and went to the ends of the island, so it was handy to have a cart. There were a couple of grocery stores near the resort, and an Internet cafe around the corner.

Without a doubt, we would stay here again. Its the perfect combination of a great beach for relaxation, enough space to unpack and live in the condo for a week, and close to town if you want restaurants and shopping. We love Ambergris Caye, and can't wait to come back to Exotic Caye!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank scoobagirl
Reviewed January 18, 2008

They told us that they were a 3 star resort with a 5 star attitude and they lived up to their promise. The 2-bedroom villa came complete with a full kitchen and dining area and suited our needs perfectly. When we weren't taking advantage of the superb diving, we enjoyed the Crazy Canuck Bar onsite or the Roadkill Bar across the road. The tiny but friendly Monkey Bites Cafe was a must for breakfast. We would gladly return.

Stephen Burns