“Picky vacationer pleasantly surprised!”

Belizean Shores Resort
Ranked #16 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Jenks, Oklahoma
“Picky vacationer pleasantly surprised!”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I vacation alot and have stayed at several condo type units in Mexico/Caribbean area. I am typically very picky about places I stay and I do quite a bit of research on places to stay before I choose one. I normally pay attention to all the small details.

This is my first time in Belize. We stayed for a week at Captain Morgans Resort (would not recommend this place to anyone), then we spontaneously decided to extend our stay for another 3 days. We switched to this resort and the service has been one of the best I have ever experienced. Even thought the condo unit is a little smaller than what we are used to, it is pleasantly comfortable. I got this one bedroom ground floor for $140/night, and asked for a unit close to the beach, and they were very accommodating. Love the large porch. Overall it's a small resort but very nice. Pool is beautiful and relaxing. Front desk employees remembered our names (I already forgot theirs). Would definitely pick this resort over anything else next time I come.

Room Tip: We stayed in 2A which was 2 units back from the beach on ground floor and very comfortable
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Natalie H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Belfry, KY
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Marianne met our group at the dock with a big smile, fantastic accent and the best fruit juice you will ever drink! The resort as a whole is just lovely. The landscaping is bright and tropical, very exotic and with the many iguanas and hermit crabs wandering the property as you walk through the grounds that is mostly sand - truly island motif. The units are large and spacious, decorated nicely, very clean and comfortable. The air conditioning is great. I did notice that beside of several doors (not mine) there was a large bowl of water to clean the sand off your feet before entering your rooms and I was disappointed that every unit didn't have this option. I had read many reviews about the on site restaurant not being very good but I didn't have a single bad meal there and would've gladly eaten every meal there and skipped the whole water taxi to town issue if I hadn't been with a group. Yes, the meals are slightly cheaper in town but once you factor in the time it takes to get to town, the cost of the water taxi, and having to plan everything around the water taxi times, cost isn't a factor. The big disappointment was the lack of beach time and ocean time you get here at the resort, which I knew prior to the trip and knew what to expect, but I feel that everyone should know that this is not a beach that you walk/swim along the shore - it's too grassy and at low tide the sun dries the exposed sea grass and it stinks. The perk of this resort is the fabulous pool. I normally never even glance at the swimming pool while on vacation however, I practically lived in this one (also because there was nothing else to do that didn't cost major $$). This pool has multiple depths, lounge chairs down in the water, a swim up bar that makes the best drinks (do yourself a favor and try the Belizean Coloda) - it was super nice! Be prepared that the water in the rooms is not good quality and you must refill your drinking water at a station beside the pool. Also because of this you will notice a very sulfur like smell while using the shower, toilets, sinks. Also beware that if in groups, they will most always put everyone on one bill which makes it very confusing to them to split up so insist as soon as you set down to order that each person is separate. Overall it was nice but I have no desire to return back to the island just for the overall nothing much to do that doesn't cost a lot and this is absolutely NOT a place I would ever bring children of any age under late teen years, they would be miserable!

Room Tip: We were in unit 5b (there are 4 units per building) and it was perfectly located close to the pool e...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank AngelBevins
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed May 26, 2013

ARRIVAL
After a rather stressful flight (due to weather problems), we arrived on San Pedro on Tropic Air on time (the resort made reservations for us).
We were met at the San Pedro airport, bags claimed and loaded for us, taxi to the dock, water taxi to the resort, bags unloaded for us and taken up to our room on the upper level of building 9. (Have tip money handy). It all went like clockwork! (as did the departure—in reverse).

Marianne greeted us at the dock with non-alcoholic punch (we are non-drinkers and had let her know this in our email correspondence prior to arrival) and she told us to get settled before we checked in, which was very nice.
The upper level room was VERY nice. There was a loft with a pull-out bed. Comfy bed (queen). The A/C had been turned on (thank you!!)
Flat screen TV with TONS of channels.
We ate our first and only meal at the resort restaurant (limited menu, no A/C) but you can see the sunset from there.

KITCHEN: only salt and pepper and paper towels are provided. You must buy or bring everything else.
HINT: buy some small zipper plastic bags at a hobby store and fill them with your favorite spices, bacon bits, dried cranberries, mustard, etc. I froze some ketchup and BBQ sauce in small plastic tubs and brought those with us.
Bring a bunch of different sizes of plastic zipper bags for storing your ice, leftovers and such.

FOOD: We ordered online that day from Mata Grande, and they delivered to the room the next day. As advised on their web site, we emailed them to let them know of the order. They responded promptly. Check the Tropic Air brochures for a free delivery coupon.

We purchased ground beef, pork chops and their WHOLE SMOKED CHICKEN (which turned out to be AMAZING, and fed us for several meals) plus eggs and sausage for breakfast. Oh! And some mint chip ice cream. Also a HUGE papaya (delicious and fully ripe!) and an avocado. You cannot bring fruits/veg into the country.
We brought some packaged rice with us, an add-water only cookie mix and an add-water only blueberry muffin mix. There was no muffin pan, but when we called the front desk to see if one was available, were told they had a CUPCAKE pan  which of course is the same thing, so we were able to have our muffins.
HINT: bring some oil in a Pampered Chef oil spritzer pump. SO GLAD we did that.
We purchased some canned meat at local grocer, but could easily have brought that if we’d thought of it.

EXCURSIONS: (we are not the snorkel/scuba types, but there are some fantastic excursions available if you are.)
• Inland and Sea triple mainland excursion (Jungle Zip Line, Cave Tubing and Mayan Ruins). Our guides “Brown Sugar” and David (“King” David) were fun and knowledgeable. Check Inland and Sea for a review there. $250US seemed to be the most reasonable around. That includes a flight to the mainland. ASK if your land transport will have A/C. This is a MUST! Some we saw from other tour operators did not.

• Jungle Water Adventure all-day ATV (4-Wheeler) Adventure: right on San Pedro. (Check there for the review). The front desk helped us arrange that. $165US (CASH ONLY!)

We wanted to do the Black and White Cultural Center, but they will only bring in dancers, etc. for groups of at least 8. So if you have a large group, consider asking the desk to arrange that, but do it early in your stay.

We also wanted to do the ACES Crocodile Sanctuary evening excursion, but they were either booked or not having tours. They are quite responsive on email, so make that reservation even before you get there.

WATER TAXI to San Pedro: It was convenient and fast. My only complaint is the infrequency. At some times of the day, if you missed it, you might have to spend another 2 hours or more killing time. We bought the 5-day pass. You are likely to have a wet seat, so be advised of that in case you are wearing anything fancy; and just give up on your hair, ladies, and tie it back or do it up.

Our travel options to town were handicapped by repairs on “the bridge” to San Pedro, which could only accommodate pedestrian and bicycle traffic.

GOOD EATS:
We had an amazing meal at Wild Mango (owned by a renowned chef, and right off the water taxi dock).

FIDO’S: (fee-doe’s) on the beach for lunch. It was pretty good, and we were entertained by the resident cat, which begged for tidbits from table to table (on the deck).

ELVI’S: (about a block west from the clock). We were going to do the Friday night Mayan buffet, but it did not start until 5:30 (wound up being more like 5:45) so we ordered off the menu so we’d be done in time to catch the 6:15 water taxi back to BS so we could pack for departure the next day. They actually have a sand floor! The buffet smelled delicious, though, and wish we could have indulged.

CHOCOLATE: there is a chocolate shop right off the Tuff Enuf water taxi dock. Chocolate shake, yum! And air conditioned. Good place to kill some time awaiting the water taxi.

THE HEAT: in May, we were just barely out of our local winter. The San Pedro heat and humidity in the afternoon will suck the life right out of you. Try to do anything strenuous early in the day. This was probably the only vacation ever for which I did not pack ENOUGH clothes (tops, anyway).

THE POOL: amazing! Enough said.

BOTTOM LINE: We are empty-nest baby boomers and we had a memorable and thoroughly enjoyable vacation and stay here. We recommend Belizean Shores without reservation.

In general, bring way more cash than you think you will need, especially if you are doing excursions with small operators. The credit card companies charge them 12.5% for using a credit card, so they want cash.

You might get back Belizean dollars for change for your US money, but near the end of our stay I requested US dollars and got them. We did not want to be stuck with Belizean money. I did notice a couple of enterprising charities had boxes at the airport though, so you could put any leftover $BZ to good use, or leave it for tips.

BON VOYAGE!

Room Tip: Our upper level had a loft/bedroom, and great view of the pool from the deck.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank PamelaUS
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 14, 2013

This place is so cute. My husband and I stayed here when we were dating. It is perfectly located right in front of the scuba shop. Belizean Shores has a fully equipped kitchen. I recommend that you stop at the grocery store in town and stock up for breakfast and lunch. Ambergris Caye is a quaint town so don't expect a huge party.

The diving is amazing in Belize!

*Note...you have to take a motorboat to get to most places on Ambergris Caye.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Traycita
Damascus, Maryland
Reviewed May 13, 2013

It was my first time to Belize and I had no idea what to expect. We arived by a complimentry boat ride in from Tropic Air to Belizian Shores Resort. We had a rum punch waiting for us as soon as we docked and were walked through the basic lay out of the resort. Amazingly beatutiful. Landscape is very tasteful and well maintained. They let you get cozy in your room before you are checked in. Nice touch. This continues with wonderful service from the entire crew from the from desk help to the bartender William. He was very helpful to offer suggestions about restaurants to tours. He's a great resource. We rented golf carts from the resort and you do not have to tell them how long you are going to be gone. Again nice touch when you are on vacation. I do not want to be watching the clock. They just charge you for the time you use it. We had a wonderful week getting to know the San Pedro area and ended the week with a trip on a catamaran tour with Tuff E Nuff. James was an awesome tour guide through the snorkeling tour. Just a wonderful day on the water. I loved this trip!!!! I Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Wendi G
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband, two kids (6 & 8 yrs) stayed here for 7 nights at the end of April 2013.

Condo: We stayed in 3D - an upper unit. It was decent but somewhat worn. We enjoyed the privacy of our own deck, although our relaxation periods out there were often cut short due to the noise of electric tools being used to renovate the condo next door. As for the kitchen, there was only the basics - no blender and the element on the stove didn't work.

Food: We ordered groceries from Grande Mata so we had food when we arrived. The value was average for what we paid (eg. I ordered fresh fruit - oranges, pineapple and papaya which were all so green that when we left a week later they still weren't ripe). It was nice to have a fridge full of cold beer when we got there though!

We also ate evening meals at the hotel restaurant twice. The food was pricey for what you got and although the service was great, I would recommend eating elsewhere if you have the choice.

Excursions: We only did one half day trip to Mexico Rocks - it was good and the price was decent. We had the guide to ourselves and in addition to many varieties of fish, we also saw quite a few nurse sharks, dolphins and sting rays.

We also took a kayak out to the reef to snorkel by ourselves a couple of times, which was a lot of fun. One day we rented a golf cart to go in to San Pedro, which was a fun adventure for both us and the kids!

Pool: The pool is definitely the best feature of the resort and we spent a lot of time playing there. We did have drinks at the swim up bar a couple of times, though we found it pricey. It was just as easy (and more affordable) to make your own drinks in plastic cups and bring them down with you.

Service: The staff were all very friendly, though the front desk staff often seemed confused at any questions or requests I directed their way. I usually just looked for Marianne as she was very knowledgable and friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank CDAsh23
Lowell, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 28, 2013

My fiance and I stayed at the Belizean Shores Resort 4/13-4/20 2013. We must say that we were pleasantly surprised at the location of our condo. We stayed in building 3 and it looks as though all of the rooms have somewhat of an ocean view. We were greeted by Mariannne, who was excellent! SInce the resort is on the smaller end, we feel that we had exceptional customer service the entire week! It was nice to have stocked coffee and fresh water when we arrived as well. The pool was very clean and the swim up bar was great. My fiance, really enjoyed the bartender, Michael. He was very entertaining! My only complaint would be the sound of the A/C kicking on and off woke me . However, I'd rather be in a cool room than sweating from the heat. Def. rec. renting bikes and biking into town and stopping on the way to the Palaypa Bar. The locals are very friendly and helpful too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple