When we go on vacation, especially to a new place where we may not have the opportunity to return, I make sure to jam pack our days and experience as much as we can. Belizean Shores is in such a great location, that we were actually able to explore and relax, all in one vacation! Typically, I need a vacation from our vacation, but the amenities, the people, and the staff made this feel like an actual vacation.
We started off our trip in Florida and had a quick flight to Belize City. Since there are five of us, we didn't fly from there to the island, Ambergris Caye/San Pedro, though I wish we could've. If you can afford another $200+/pp, I recommend this route. Instead, we took a $20 cab ride to the ferry. This I didn't mind. It was a great way to see part of the city. If you've never been to a Caribbean island or parts of Central America before, this may seem scary, but believe me, it wasn't. We got to the dock and purchased our tickets while someone tagged our large amounts of luggage for us. We shopped around the open air terminal and drank our first Belikin. It was a good day. While imbibing, we met Austin. He is a local who scouts out tourists and offers them huge discounts on excursions. Having done our own excursions in Hawaii rather than pay tour prices, got me interested. More on him later. Soon, our water taxi arrived and it was a mad dash to get on board. I could see why: you're basically sitting in the bow of a boat, with long benches surrounding the circumference and a long bench in the center. We ended up in the center with nothing to lean back on. After a plane ride, this wasn't the most comfortable trip, especially when you really don't get much air and can't see out the windows very well. If you're the least bit claustrophobic, you will want to avoid this. Regardless, it was the most economical route for us. Finally, we make it to San Pedro after a quick stop at Caye Caulker along the way to drop off and pick up more ferry passengers. In San Pedro, we were greeted by Albert, who whisked away to the resort in an open air boat. The smell of the sea and the warm air hitting your face let us know that we had finally arrived. After about 10 min., a rum punch and Marianne were awaiting us at the Belizean Shores dock. Immediately, we became family. Someone once again, took our luggage while introductions were made and rum punch was distributed. Marianne took us on a leisurly stroll through the lush landscape to our 2nd floor condo- no rush to check in, we could do it later! So, we arrived and were very pleasantly surprised by our accommodations, especially since we literally booked it the night before, having "lost" a previous reservation for a different condo. This 2 bedroom condo is filled with local woods from the beams on the ceiling, to the banister on the staircase, to the floors themselves. Off of the living is a large, covered lanai with comfortable furniture for watching people at the pool or enjoying a meal. Through the palm trees, you could peak at the Caribbean. The upstairs loft was perfect for my boys, though the bed was extremely hard. Since we have 3 children, they were kind enough to bring an aerobed and set it up for us- even though it deflated the first night :) They brought another one for us and it stayed inflated the rest of our stay.
Besides the authentic accommodations, we were once again pleasantly surprised when we came in after breakfast and our dishes had been done! Having a family of five, we brought a large suitcase full of food to take advatage of the kitchen area. Never did we think that our dishes would be done for us! Not only that, but the condo was cleaned everyday. That was a huge bonus.
One day, we decided to venture on the bikes onsite. My daughter's bike ended up with a flat tire. We were able to cal from a bar, and they sent a golf cart to pick her and the bike up. Unfortunately, the boat wasn't available to pick us all up- my boys not used to traveling on that kind of terrain. All-in-all, they didn't charge us for the bike rentals and treated us to some drinks at the Blue Hole- an awesome pool bar that you HAVE to swim up- it's over 6 feet deep! The bartenders there were like everyone else: awesome. Friendly, great storytellers, and amazing service. Even the groundskeepers would machete some coconuts for us. The kids thought that was awesome, as well as the new slide and diving board they just had installed at the end of their dock. We had some fun with that, along with the new paddle boat. They are really trying to make this a family-friendly place, and it certainly felt that way. While there, we saw the lifesized chess game that was being built on the property as well as ping pong tables- next time we'll get to use them :)
Down the beach a few minute's walk is the Captain Morgan's casino- fun for a night out. We also took advantage of Tuff E Nuff begin onsite, taking the Ho Chan and Shark Ray alley tour. A MUST while there.
Believe it or not, I've tried to shorten this. I'll write more about that Austin in Belize City in a different review about Eco Tours when we went to Lamanai for the day. The bottom line: Although Belizean Shores is not as luxurious as its sister property, The Caribe, next door, you can't go wrong. The staff are amazing and the property is so quaint, you do feel like family. Oh- and don't forget to hang out on those hammocks!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A small, casual and comfortable resort, Belizean Shores is the perfect choice for travelers seeking adventure or peaceful relaxation. Our resort features a brilliant pool, pool side snack service, a fun swim up bar, onsite concierge and one of the island’s highest rated tour operations right onsite. Complimentary kayaks and paddle boards are available during the day along with giant chess, ping pong and a dual basketball/tennis court. Bicycle and golf cart rentals can easily be arranged at the front desk as can waterfront or in-room spa services. Located right on the water, guests can also enjoy swimming in the warm Caribbean right from our dock. Located 3.5 miles north of San Pedro town, the resort is outside of the hustle and bustle of town, yet easily accessible via water taxi or ground taxi service or bicycle or golf cart rental. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Otel, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your Belizean Shores Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Belizean Shores Hotel San Pedro
- Belizean Shores San Pedro
- Belizean Shores Resort Belize/San Pedro