“F'IN AWESOME!”

Ranked #34 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“F'IN AWESOME!”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I'n not an aristocrat, so I don't expect much-and when I need to chilly chill this has turned out to be the place for me! Excellent service! Great scenery! I needed a safe, and they had one shipped in! The house keeping was excellent-Hey Dorothy! "Smokey"-What UP! the bartender- might be full of it, maybe not-but a real cool dude! makes great drinks-climbed a tree for us to give us fresh coconut water-awesome! we have the same b-day and we tore up San Pedro-I can't go into detail cause he'd be out of a job-LOL! Good stuff at the restrain-no i didn't eat there every day, but after meeting a special friend who I brought there, I found the price to be VERY reasonable! It is awesome for a change to not have light pollution and be able to see all the stars, shooting stars at night...last time that happened was when I was running yachts. Just remember, this is a recently developed resort, and many places being constructed, so once in a while the water pressure might be a little low, but the hot water was plentiful, and thats what mattered to me. I had Room 3-A, very nice, comfy bed-hard to get out of, even harder when I met someone special-HA! I will most definitely open a dive shop out there soon!-R2-Radoo and Sam- awesome meeting you-the hospitality was awesome! I don't drink folks-I'm a burner, yet the bar is really awesome and my dude Smokey makes a great Pina Colada! I went there for my birthday after one of the worst years of my life, and everyone at Sapphire Beach Resort was super awesome and over accommodating!

Room Tip: I only clicked poor for the gym, cause I am not a liar- there isn't one there yet, so go swimmi...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Divemaster-Harland
Luis A, Guest Relations Manager at Sapphire Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time out to submit a review. We value your opinion highly.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Saint Cloud, Florida
Reviewed January 23, 2014

If you are looking for a very friendly place where there are not many people, Sapphire Beach is your place. Water taxi to and from.
The management is the best, the other employees are great.
The food is made to order and very good. Not fine dining but very good.
The rooms are wonderful.
Make sure you visit Smokey at the outside bar. He is a hoot.

I would recommend this resort to any and all that need time to unwind and completely relax.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank joan s
Thank you very much for your review.
We have since hired an executive chef that has over 20 years experience in the field. we have revamped our menu and we are proud to offer Latin American & Caribbean cuisine at its best!
San Pedro, Belize
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed in a villa and it was very nice. The thing is, we could not watch TV because of no signal. Instead of using WiFi, we had to use MiFi so we could use the internet. It may not be as modern as I thought it would (because I love modern), but that was ok. I still like it though, It is a very nice hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank xMinecrafter55x
Thank you for your review.
We do offer DVD movies that can be borrowed from the front desk at any time. As you noticed we offer flat screen tvs and DVD players in each unit. Indeed we do not yet have cable tv this far north and this has its pros and cons. To those that would absolutely love getting away from it all, then Sapphire Beach Resort is the perfect place.
Nestled 10 miles north of town, we face daily challenges and lack of cable tv is just one.
These are issues that we are resolving daily and we hope to host you again in the future.
Dallas, TX
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Many of the reviews I read here before our 6 day trip in December of 2013 made me believe we were going to an exceptional resort. This was our 12th trip to Ambergris Caye, and I fully understand the glow that follows your first trip to this wonderful destination - it would make a tent on the beach seem terrific. We really enjoyed Sapphire Beach, and I agree with many of the good points made in other reviews - we would certainly go back. But for the same price point, there are options that might better fit your tastes. Do you like to hang out by the pool, or do you have young kids that will spend most of your trip in the pool? When we were being shown to our rooms we walked by a water feature that I took to be a really nice hot tub. When we were told that it was a swimming pool I almost laughed out loud. It would literally fit in my garage. They have three, but one was not working when we were there. We are all about the beach, and our kids are over the "play in the pool" all day phase, so this was not a let-down for us, but if a super cool pool is important to you, go to Belizean Shores for a great pool at the same price point. The beach is fantastic, but they do not have a cleaned out swimming area surrounded by buoys, a common and sensible feature. They have free kayaks to paddle to a buoy and snorkel (although don't buy a reviewer that reports seeing dolphins here), but they only have two kayaks and one buoy. When we wanted to use this fun resource, we always had to wait, and in one case just give up. It is very common on the Caye for a resort to have 10 kayaks and three buoys. Do you want solitude? This is the place. At more than 10 miles north of San Pedro, there is no beach traffic, no sales people - a very quiet environment. On the flip side during our trip the insects were terrible - really terrible, think the movie "The Birds". When we returned home my daughter had to see a doctor to treat her bites. To the credit of the resort, the staff worked very hard and continuously to address the problem. We believe that the remote nature of the resort contributed to the situation. One review I read touted being given a private cell phone and Wi-Fi hot spot on check in. The hot spot is great, many resorts have free Wi-Fi that has a poor signal, this approach solved that problem, but the phone is only so you can call the office. There is no phone in the room. If you want to call a dive shop or restaurant you have to buy a phone card. There is no TV service, and about 20 DVD's in the office. The rooms are tiny, and very nicely appointed. We had kids sleeping in the "fold down" bed in the "living room" (which is basically the size of the fold down bed). When it came time for our first night the staff could not figure out how to fold down the bed, and ultimately had to get a carpenter with a circular saw to cut pieces off the new furniture to make it into a bed! The bedroom is just a bit larger than the queen bed, with a closet (with no door) that includes a dresser (whose size prohibits a door) and end tables mounted to the walls. There are no lamps in the rooms so it is kind of weird lying in bed trying to read with the overhead light. There are no plugs by the night stands, so if they had lamps in the bedrooms there is no place to plug them in anyway. The restaurant is currently in the building with the office (they are building a nicer space in the second phase under construction). I was worried about the food because of this, but my fears were not realized, the food here is fantastic compared to what we have had before. This is a really good resort restaurant. Unlike resorts in the mid-north (say, five miles north of San Pedro), you cannot walk down the beach and find another place to eat. El Secreto, one mile north has a fancy restaurant, that is worth a visit and can literally be walked, but it is a rough mile trough garbage strewn jungle. So going to dinner elsewhere requires a boat ride - many restaurants offer this as a complimentary service. They did burn trash one day and the smell was unavoidable, and the beached was not raked every day, which is typically the standard practice - who wants to build a seaweed castle? The staff of the resort was great, really friendly and anxious to help out in any way. We will look back on this trip fondly, snorkeling, diving, hanging out, drinking a bit too much, soaking up the natural beauty and eating well. When it is time to return, we absolutely would come back to Sapphire Beach, but our likely choice will be closer in, with a better pool and more restaurants close by.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JRFDallas
Luis A, Guest Relations Manager at Sapphire Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
I thank you for your candid review. We accept that you have posed some very valid points and are taking all this into consideration.
We have since addressed most of the problems that you have mentioned:
*Our beach is definitely raked everyday.
*We are in the process of getting the right permits to be able to clear a swimming are for our guests. This is no easy feat as we are very close to the reef and are cognizant of the fact that we have a very sensitive marine eco -system.
* We are in the process of purchasing more equipment that will be made available to our guests so as to better enjoy your stay with us.
We will definitely have more canoes, as you rightly said, 2 canoes certainly is not cutting it.
* We have since hired a new chef that has certainly improved an already great menu. I can safely say we are now boasting world class menu items being served from El Zafiro.
* Cable tv has not arrived this far north and it is a situation that we have to cope with. In the mean time we offer dvds at our office.
Overall, we are making great progress and we would love to have you again in the near future.
Thank you once again for your review.
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Beautiful place long way from daily routine and problems. Nobody bothers people there at all. Not even a cell phone reception :) Place is new, spectacular and very clean. Beach is cleaned several times a day. Staff is very friendly and helpful. We swam with turtles rayas morays and sharks on a payed snorkeling trip and then we even discovered very similar reef with a stunning sea life just few meters from our room. Kayaks and snorkeling gear it available free of charge. HIGLY recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Debilny F
Apple Valley, California
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for a week. It was perfect. The staff was outstanding; they were always available to handle any request. The palapa bar was a great place to hang out. The beach is spectacular. We tired quite a few different things from the restaurant and everything was great. Honestly the week was perfect. We will definitely be back. Sam is running a really great resort. Bryan & Amy

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank BATK1
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Okay, I have never written a review before. I guess I have never been motivated to but, Sapphire Beach Resort has motivated me. We just got back from 5 days at the resort. The resort and its staff are excellent. If you ever want to get away from it all and be treated like you deserve, this it the place to go. The staff is friendly and treats you like family. Ask for something and they will deliver beyond your ask. My wife's only request on this trip was to find a place to eat where we could have a romantic dinner on the beach. All I had to do is ask the restaurant staff and they made it happen. That is only one example but there are many.

One note, the resort is 10 miles north of the town of San Pedro. The only access is by the resort's shuttle boat or by a public ferry service. So, if you want to get away, this is the place, but if you want the hustle and bustle of a big resort, this is not for you. Things to do: take the shuttle to San Pedro and eat or shop (many local artist and street vendors selling their wears at good prices), lay by the beach and read a book, lay by the pool, kayak inside the reef or get a mask and snorkel and kayak out to the reef for some great snorkeling. You can also arrange all sorts of water and land adventures from hiking to diving.

Communications in Belize can be tough for international travelers but Sapphire Beach Resort takes care of that in style. Upon check-in, we were handed a cell phone to use. This allows you to go anywhere on the island and still be reachable. They also gave us a mifi device to use for interet. This was great and meant we were our own traveling hot spot. We could disable our cellphone except for wifi and stay as connected (or disconnected) as we wanted.

One new note "the pool bar is open." This is a great place to end the evening with new friends or just quench your thirst during the day.

Room Tip: All rooms we saw were great.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple