“I Would Use a Different Dive Company”

Ramon's Village Divers
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Although the dive sights were beautiful...and the guys were very, very nice, I would have to use a different company next time. Two of the five of us had to buddy breath on the way up (two different sights). They did not run out of air, but were alarmingly close, so they were told to buddy breath. I understand that it is the diver's responsibility to ensure they have enough air, but one time the dive master even had to be reminded that a person was low on air. At 95 feet, 2 divers had to go it alone while buddy breathing. They had to ascend with no watch, so sort of had to guess as to the safety stop time. Now that I am home, and have done some research, it appears that divers REALLY need to be careful when in Belize - and realize that, just because you are diving with a dive master, it is very possible you may end up alone. I think, if we were seasoned divers this may be a good company to use - this was only a second and third dive for 3 of us. Belize is a great dive place...but be very careful when choosing who you want directing your dives.

5  Thank L0vetheCarribean
"hour trip"
"these guys"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I just got back from a "trip" to the Blue Hole with Ramon's Village Dive Shop. I booked it through Scuba School Belize so didn't know much about them, but assumed since I had a good experience with Scuba School, it must be an ok outfit. I was wrong.

Starting with the minor stuff; showing up 15 minutes late (5:45 am vs. 5:30 am), cramming 28 divers on the boat, and Dive Masters staking out the good seats while I was standing for the 2.5 hr boat ride to the Blue Hole But wait, it wasn't a 2.5 hr boat ride because 1/2 way there they hit a coral head and bent the prop and rudder!!! What fun! So after some discussion about letting us make a dive (we were close to Turniffe), they decided it was in there best interest to hobble back to the Shop. With one prop it was a nausea inducing ride back.

Once we got within a mile or so of Ambergris, they sent a fast boat out to pick us up. Once back at the dock, the DM said to leave my stuff on the fast boat because that is what they would use to drop me off at my condo. However while I was getting my $40 park fee back, the boat took off with my dive gear and $2000 camera to drop some other people off. After 30 minutes or so he returned, and as far as I could see my camera didn't get bounced off the deck.

The Dive Shop manger was walking around while I was sitting waiting for the boat to come back. There was no apologies, an offer to buy me lunch (by this time it was 12 pm) or any interaction whatsoever.

Overall a terrible experience on a cattle dive boat and an impersonal crew and staff.

7  Thank 661micquinn
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My wife and I recently enjoyed two outings with Ramon's Village Divers. Wow!!! We had a great experience on both snorkling trips. The staff was professional and kind and very informative. Our guide actually participated with us pointing out different kinds of fish and coral. He made sure everyone felt safe and confident in the water. The picnic excursion was a blast. We snorkled Mexico Rocks and then we were treated to a fantastic cookout on the beach. I'm talking lobster, fish,and all the sides. The Dive shop manager,Rick, has been running the shop for 25 years. He knows his stuff and it shows! If you are going to San Pedro to scuba dive or snorkle,Ramon's Village Divers is the place!!!

1  Thank Tim L
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Went wiht these guys for the blue hole 3 tank dive day. We thought they had a pretty solid operation running. Picked up up at the hotel peir, friendly, professional. Took good care of us on the blue hole dive as well as the others. The last dive was a drift dive - but we weren't really prepped for a drift dive.

All in all -- VERY happy we chose them for the long day of diving. They knew what they were doing - have a nice lond haul boat, and are professional, which is what you want on a deep dive like the blue hole.

Ernest even cut us a deal on the trip....honestly, not sure if it was a deal or not/.

1  Thank Kevin_2828
See more reviews
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We went on a day-long trip to Blue Hole. There were maybe 6 staff from Ramon's. There were about 20-25 tourist divers. The sea was rough that day. The Ramon staff got us situated then proceeded to ignore us. One put on head phones and listened to music, tuning us out. Another went to the side of the boat and lay down to take a nap. One drove the boat and two others huddled together and talked in their own language. No tips, no instructions, no pointing out sites let alone conversation on this 3 hour trip to Blue Hole. The waves got really rough and one diver fell and actually broke his ankle. Had the Ramons' Village Staff been sitting with us, they could've warned him not to get up, told him to hold on, etc., anything at all! But no, nothing. We were ignored. We were just a commodity, dollars, cattle... The entire day went that way. Every dive, every interaction was emotionless, without care and simply robotic. It was as if they resented having to take us diving. I wish we'd known. I've dove all over the world and have been certified for 20 years. Ramons is the worst dive operation I've ever encountered. (We found a great small independent dive operator who took us on 6 other dives that trip and all were great.)

6  Thank Maria B