“This is a must”
Review of Lazy Croc BBQ - CLOSED

Lazy Croc BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Southern Slow Smoked Barbecue served Tuesdays - Sundays from 11am - 7pm
Reviewed April 14, 2014

So while in Belize we went to Lazy Croc 2 times. The food was very good- off the bone BBQ- the atmosphere was great and the staff friendly. The owner let the kids throw bread crumbs in the water and we saw a croc- both times we were there- which was an added bonus. In my last review I hit the wrong bubble rating- I meant to give it 5 stars- so here we are. Definitely go to this place.
Jim

Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Great place, has a floating table so you can eat with the crocs and has a one of a kind menu. We ordered absolutely everything on the menu and had no complaints. Beautiful restaurant.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

I've struggled with how to approach this review. I hate leaving poor reviews in general. However, in this case, it's particularly tricky. Here's the thing: the owner was very kind and others clearly love this place. Nonetheless, my family of 4 had not one--but two--bad experiences. So, I'll just tell you what happened:

After hearing from several people that this was a "must eat" location, we had to go. On the 2nd day of our trip, we rented a golf cart in SP with the sole intention of eating lunch at Lazy Croc. The restaurant opens at 11:00; we got there at 11:00.

When we arrived, the gate was open and a waiter told us to "come in and have a seat." Almost immediately, we began noticing that the hostess/manager (the primary female employee whose job, it seems, is to run the front of the house) was VERY agitated. Not only did she not attempt to hide her frustration from us, but she put on a big ol' dramatic show.

Come to find out, the restaurant had received a HUGE order for 130+ plates that morning, and they were doing everything they could to get them together. The kitchen staff could not accommodate extra restaurant guests, and the food was running low. After the hostess repeated screamed, "we can't handle this--shut this place down--this is crazy," to the owner, he finally came over and told us that they were very busy and likely wouldn't be able to serve us for 45 minutes. Since we had paid $60BZ to rent a golf cart and made the trip JUST to eat at LC, we were VERY understand and kindly said we'd explore the property, have a drink, and just wait.

We got drinks. Walked around. Went to the beach. Looked for crocs. An hour passed and no one said anything to us, but the hostess looked at us in frustration several times. So, we went up to the manager and asked the obvious question: did it look like, if we were to wait a little longer, we would get served? He was very apologetic, but he said he couldn't tell us "yes." He said to come back in a few hours. So, we paid for our cocktails (but were never offered a discount of any kind for the trouble) and we left.

We came back 90 minutes later, just because we were still in the area, and they were still too busy.

Because of all of the raves, we assumed we hit them up on an off day.

A week later, towards the end of our stay, we decided to give LC another try. The BBQ, after all, smelled great, and we were left with a craving.

We arrived, once again, right after opening. Upon entering, the hostess was, once again, flustered. (Notice a pattern?)

Hip hop music was blaring, the hostess--who was also the waitress--was indifferent to us. Trying to make conversation, we mentioned that we'd come last week when they were really busy, and she remarked, "I know." No "I'm sorry about that." No "thank you for coming back." Again, we weren't expecting them to roll out a red carpet for us, but it was just extremely unprofessional.

I won't continue to go into too much more detail. Here's a brief summary of the experience:

We did order. They were out of MANY things, including ingredients to make several of the drinks on their menu (that happened last time, too). Again, no apologies were made. We ordered a meal "for 4 people," and it was approx. 1/2 slab of ribs, 1/2 pound of pulled pork, and 3 pieces of fried chicken, plus very small sides. It was $96BZ. One person ordered a pulled pork sandwich, and her portion was nearly as large as the "king's meal." The food was mediocre, and that was probably the biggest disappointment. All that trouble--and time--and the food wasn't even that great? The "smoked apple pie" was inedible, but the kind owner did take it off the bill when we complained.

Lots of eye-rolling, screaming and complaining on the part of the hostess during our meal. At one point, the owner came in, screaming "WHY IS THIS RAP MUSIC PLAYING IN MY RESTAURANT?!" It was a spectacle, to say the least, and the atmosphere--and experience--were ruined by the various behaviors.

Again, I recognize that others have really enjoyed this place, and I hate that we didn't. This review isn't so detailed as to nit-pick; it's detailed to explain how our perception of LC was so different than many others here.

As I said, though, it's not worth the trip, in my opinion. Save the money and the time, and get BBQ for one of the million vendors in SP for MUCH less.

3  Thank emiliewasmyeve
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We stopped here for lunch one day and the food was great. The portions are pretty large though, so you might want to share if you're not too hungry.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

You will not go hungry here. The BBQ is awesome. Now open until 7:00 so an early dinner works great. We were there the night of there spicy, and I do mean spicy, chicken wing eating contes Saturday. Fun to watch others turn bright red.
Had the smoked apple pie for dessert. Really different. Pulled pork and ribs were great. Heaping plate full.