“Our last meal on the Island”

Black Orchid Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 210 Restaurants in San Pedro
Cuisines: Seafood, International, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Island Dining at It's Best....Serving Dinner Tuesday through Saturday from 5:30p-9:00p......Happy Hour Social from 3p-5p......Just 2.5 Miles South of town, a quick Golf Cart Ride beyond the Croc Pond and well before the Marco Gonzales Maya Ruins.....Reservations Recommended.
Reviewed January 10, 2014

To celebrate the end of our vacation we went to the Black Orchid. I ordered the blackened snapper which was very good. The rest of the family had the reef & beef, lobster tail, lasagna and grouper. They compared their meals to all of the other meals we had during the trip and each one remembered another meal which they preferred just a bit better. The deserts were good and not exorbitantly priced relative to the meal which I found occurred in many of the restaurants in San Pedro. The service and atmosphere were top notch and the best that we had during our stay.

Judyann H, Owner at Black Orchid Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2014

Hello Mark K....Thank you for taking the time to right this review about your dining experience with us. The Blackened Snapper is one of our most popular dishes and we are glad you enjoyed it; however as I tell many guests Mother Nature does the biggest part of that prep work..... So happy to hear our atmosphere & service were top notch for your group.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

My fiancée and I went here for dinner on our way back from town. She had the grouper and a salad and I had the lasagna. We would both have to agree with a previous review that it was the best coconut rice on the island. The grouper was pan fried, crispy and delicious and a generous portion. The lasagna was also a decent size portion and also tasty. The meal started with some great homemade bread and butter. The owner greeted us personally and even kept and eye on our golf cart that was loaded with groceries. He was willing to make a valiant attempt at making a drink that was not on the menu and while it didn't taste like a normal long island iced tea...it was still very good. We were on the island for a week and this was the best restaurant that we ate at.

Cubfaninco....Thank you so much for taking the time to write this excellent review......You had us all laughing with the Long Island Iced Tea comment.....Mr. Tom brought it up during our staff meeting and we agreed it was off.....We are currently working on a recipe to meet better standards....So glad to hear you enjoyed your meal with us and the Coconut Rice......Maybe we'll see you again for a destination wedding?...... until then lots of warm thoughts from Ambergris Caye.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

The food and service was good. But like all the restaurants so far on the pricey side for what you eat . I had the lasagna at 42 belieze with tax. It was good but was expecting wow at that price. Steve had steak and lobster. The steak was ordinary the lobster was good. He did enjoy the carrot cake at 24 belieze . The prices are the same in all the restaurants in belieze however the plates fall short. Dont get me wrong we did eat well.

Judyann H, Owner at Black Orchid Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Hello Kperky96.....Glad to hear you enjoyed the Lobster & the Carrot Cake. However, the pricing you have quoted here is incorrect. Please note that our Lasagna is large enough to share and is served with Garlic Bread at the price of $16 US dollars. Our Carrot cake is house made using the wonderful carrots of Belize at the price of $6.25. It is often hard for our guests to understand that our small island produces no commercial products and therefore everything has to be brought in from the mainland or imported from other Countries. After looking at your other reviews at other places I enjoy dinning; it seems you simply overlooked island economics.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Stayed at Pelican Reef so swung by to check out one night for dinner. Service was great but food just ok at best. I had the beef and reef and the medium steak was "well done". Wife thought her potato was also a bit "soapy" tasting. Have not doubt they we have fixed if asked but guess we didn't feel like it. Might give it a second try but would be a bit more outspoken if didn't come out as expected. Right off the road so a few more bugs then other places but nothing terrible.

Judyann H, Owner at Black Orchid Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Hello RentonRover.....So very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your meal with us....Very glad to hear that the service was up to your standards....and Yes, we would have happily exchanged your meal for something else......If you decide to try us again, please let me know when you arrive I'd be happy to do something special for you and possibly redeem ourselves,,,,,,my e-mail address is judyann@blackorchidrestaurant.com.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We were a party of 8 and really enjoyed our dinner. The location to the Pelican Reef where we stayed made it an easy cart ride or walk. The open dinning area optimizes the beauty of this island and you can tell the owner wants to bring upscale dinning to San Pedro. He is well on his way. I made a reservation vis email a month in advance but I think you can easily walk in most night or just secure a table a day or two prior to your dinner. Nice wine list! Very reasonable prices.

Judyann H, Owner at Black Orchid Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Joanne1 thank you so much for writing this excellent review......I remember when you made the reservation via e-mail I appreciated your forethought.....And flexibility....We remember your group and all the smiles and kindness.....We appreciate that the Wine List worked well for you and we are so happy to hear you enjoyed your evening.............If you head out this way again feel free to send us another e-mail....... :) Thank you again for all your kind words