All reviews tropical villa private hot tub golf cart an adventure bug spray belize city recommend this resort cave tubing boat paradise excursions town dock island ocean bikes caribbean
Selected filters
Reviewed September 27, 2016

The resort is nice, but the Room was really hot. staff could not get the air conditioning working correctly so every night was not comfortable. I'm not sure if this is just the way the rooms are constructed or it was an AC issue but the staff seemed to think the AC was working correctly but the room felt like it would not get cooler than 88 degrees or 30 celcius

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank shawn4334
Aldiprioux, Director of Sales at El Secreto, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2016

Dear Shawn,

Thank you for taking the time to review El Secreto. Your feedback is extremely important for us in order to improve the experience we wish to provide our guests. We will definitely work on the inconveniences you experienced.

Best regards!

Reviewed September 25, 2016 via mobile

If you're looking for a romantic, peaceful getaway, this is the place to visit!

El Secreto is so remote and exclusive that you have to take a 10 minute charter flight from Belize City to San Pedro and then a 20 minute boat ride to paradise! It's the only hotel on that part of the island!

There are 13 individual villas... I suggest the tropical or sea view villas! All come surf their own small private pool and outdoor rain shower. So fun!

They do have a daily boat shuttle that will take you into San Pedro, which is great as the local hotspots are super cheap and the people are so friendly!

We spent most of our time enjoying the infinity pool, which over looks the beautiful ocean, and lounging in the hammocks.

The staff were wonderful! Miriam was our go to person... She went above and beyond to make sure our stay was memorable! Ethnie and Monica also took great care of us!

Can't wait to come back!

1  Thank JetSetterSince1982

Dear HJlisah,

We are really glad you have enjoyed your stay with us. You feedback is quite important for us in order to improve the experience lived in our little piece of Paradise...

We hope to be the host on your next trip to La Isla Bonita.

Greetings from Paradise...

Reviewed September 23, 2016

Exquisite property. Had a mind-blowing time. Manager did not know my reservation upgrade had been done before I arrived ( vis Design upgrade special), and said it was a gift. Also I prepaid a $780 beach birthday dinner and was presented another $780 bill after the meal. Unfortunate to have to deal with that on the evening of the event. Easy to entertain ourselves luckily. Front desk was playing on computer entire visit. When I went to make boat taxi arrangements, Jennifer and Marium told me my options were limited so I must take the 630 am taxi! I went back to room and researched. I then discovered there was an hourly boat taxi, and calmly called her and switched to the 730 taxi. She had no explanation as to why they had not offered that to begin with. I requested portfolio and check out the night before departure so as to have a calm morning. The morning we were leaving, we were delayed 15 minutes because the front desk did not have our check out handled.
Beautiful hotel, chefs Elvis & Cesar were outstanding as well as the servers and boat crew.

Room tip: Fantastic chefs and waiters, communication between front desk and reservations not superb.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Aldiprioux, Director of Sales at El Secreto, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2016

Dear Tiffany,

We are glad you have enjoyed your stay with us for such a special occasion. You feedback is quite important for us.

We hope to be the host on your next trip to La Isla Bonita.

Greetings from Paradise...

Reviewed September 21, 2016

After staying at two separate resorts in Belize with my bf and another couple for a week, I decided to ditch my flight home and my friends , and stay on San Pedro by myself for some much needed relaxation. Ken Williams, the wonderful manager was so flexible and easy to communicate with before and throughout the trip via email. I was staying at a resort close by (Grand Carib) and he arranged for them to pick me up right off the dock at that hotel. A lovely boat ride later I was greeted by such welcoming staff. I wanted to pamper myself and get a massage but the masseuse was out on maternity leave, so Ken arranged a masseuse from town to come to the spa and give me a wonderful massage.
While I was only there two days, it seemed like I had my own private island. There was maybe only 3 other units occupied as it was low season. Had such a relaxing time at El Secreto I would have stayed another day or 2 but wanted to watch the NBA finals game and the bar didnt have a TV and I wanted to talk to people after being alone for 48 hours. :)
I could see it getting a little boring after maybe 4 days, but I would absolutely go back. I loved the pool and spent most of the time laying out going in the hammocks eating and drinking there.

The rooms were amazing (Tropical Villa), loved the outdoor showers (but yes they can be a little revealing, but I pretty much never saw anyone else there), the plunge pool/spa was nice in the morning and they will heat it up for you in the evening. the bathroom was fantastic and the beds were extremely comfortable. The restaurant had amazing food as well. It got expensive with all the wine I was drinking as the prices are in USD, but given the atmosphere and service it was totally fine.

I will be back!

Room tip: Tropical Villas have the outdoor pool/spas as well and while you cant see the ocean, they are still awesome.
Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled solo

Dear Lena,

It is an honor that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for sharing your experience, El Secreto is continuously working to improve the service and create lasting memories for a lifetime.

I hope you consider El Secreto on your next visit to La Isla Bonita.

Greetings from paradise...

Reviewed September 14, 2016 via mobile

Started off on the wrong foot. We were exhausted when we arrrived around 4pm, and our water taxi to the resort was 3 hours late. We were starving and tired, and they kept putting us off. We didn't get to our room until 8pm. The room had a hole in the palma roof, which allowed hot air to trickle in. First two nights sleeping on one side of the bed was unbearable. Also, the toilet broke down the 2nd day. They did fix both issues by the third day, which was nice. And, they gave us a complementary dinner the first night. Still, not a good start when all you have is 6 days that you paid and booked in advance; no refunds. Read the fine print.

We stayed in the sea view villa. The view and the room were amazing. However, for the price, $360/night you would think it was all inclusive. Once you pay that, you don't want to be bothered. Instead, they nickel and dime you even for the water in the room. For $100/night less, stay in the garden villa. It is just behind the sea villas. It wasn't clear to me from their website that the garden villas were on the beach too; just not a direct or full view of the ocean from those villas.

There is no way to get away easily to other restaurants or tours from El Secreto. Rice and beans cost $20 USD one time and $6 USD another time. For the price, you would expect high quality, but to me, it was just a little above Denny's.

Best dishes were a few of their breakfast items. We finally discovered their huevos a la Mexicana with homemade tortillas on the last day.

We came for the RNR, and to swim and snorkle the reef. With all the issues, the difficulty getting away, and the extra charges, I was never relaxed.

The reef, let me tell you, is not at a safe distance. It took us 30 minutes swimming with rough currents or 20 minutes on the Kayak. Couldn't do it without snorkle and fins. Once there, it was nice, but not as nice as in more preserved areas like at Tranquility Bay.

The reef near El Secreto was unprotected, and fishermen were there every day looking for the rare catch of lobster, which I never saw in any of my expeditions, for over fishing.

We honestly felt trapped st El Secreto. But, we were resourceful, and arranged for pick ups and drop offs with Tranquility Bay that made our visit to Ambergris Caye much better.

Be prepared to pay over 200% markup on tours and a 10% service charge and 12.5% taxes on everything.

The shuttle to and from San Pedro is unreliable. We finally got on one 3 days into our trip that allowed us to go to Hol Chan with Amigos del Mar, but it took 3 days to stumble upon this opportunity. They are not helpful that way. I expect because of the extra fuel costs for shuttle service and because they would rather you take their tours.

WiFi is good, but local calls have to go thru the front desk.

Service, all and all, was good. Rosario the masseuse was very good.

In summary, staying at El Secreto was a mistake for us. It was a tourist trap in Belize. Very disappointing. We had higher expectations. We will never go back.

8  Thank jivalatina