The Tides Beach Resort is unlike most resorts in San Pedro and Ambergris Caye for two reasons: 1) The cost per night is much less than most resorts. Instead of $200+ USD per night, this is closer to $80 USD after taxes. 2) The resort is run by a local family, not expatriates or foreign investors. We enjoyed our stay at the Tides Beach, though we'd classify it as a hotel, not a resort.
The only reason for not giving the resort a 5-star review is that the accommodations have not been updated, and this may not appeal to other travelers. The rooms are still comfortable, but they are not for everyone. Replacing the flooring, wall paint, curtains, and a few furnishings would make a considerable difference in the room's comfort level.
In spite of the rooms needing a little makeover, I'd recommend this resort for several reasons, though. 1) Support a local family. 2) Enjoy the small pool and deck right on the beach. 3) Get your exercise walking or biking to restaurants or other establishments on the island. It's not right in the heart of San Pedro, but it was a 10-minute walk to most places we wanted to see. Just watch out for the golf carts! 4) If you're a snorkeler or scuba diver, the scuba center is right in front of the hotel. 5) Compared to the other hotels on the island, this is one of the best places to stay for the price.
The Tides Beach has great potential to be the small hotel of choice on Ambergris Caye. I hope the owners are able to secure some funding to make the needed upgrades and continue serving the visitors of beautiful Ambergris Caye for years to come.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the town San Pedro, on the island of Ambergris Caye, you will find our beachfront resort with unobstructed reef views. Enjoy snorkeling, diving, fishing, along with free wi-fi all walking distance to downtown.Ocean Tide Beach Resort is Different from Other Belize Vacation Resorts: * Ocean Tides is a property offering an outdoor pool and is located in the beautiful beaches of San Pedro. * We serve breakfast and lunch poolside from the beachside Bar / Lounge, The Lazy Pelican. * Free Wi-Fi access is available in this property. * These functional rooms offer air conditioning, cable TV, coffee maker, and a small fridge. The bathrooms feature a bath and a shower. These rooms overlook the great barrier reef. * Other facilities offered include a tour desk and a laundry. An array of activities can be enjoyed on site or in the surroundings, including snorkeling. * San Pedro Airport can be reached in a 5-minute golf cart drive. The property offers free parking and is located right on Boca del Rio Beach.* Every room has an ocean view: Whether you stay in our charming 2nd floor Beachfront suites or the 3rd floor Reefview suites, you'll treasure the views from your windows. * We're small enough to offer you the best: You'll get individual attention, and won't be over crowded. Our resort is modern and charming. We make people feel like long missed family. * We have our own dive shop, snorkel/fishing guide and massage therapist: We're give you all that a Belize vacation has to offer: mysterious Mayan ruins, world class fishing, spa treatments, boating, jungle exploring, snorkeling, some of the best scuba in the world and plain old beach bumming. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz and Priceline so you can book your Ocean Tide Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Tides Beach Hotel San Pedro
- Tides Beach Resort
- Ocean Tide Beach Resort Belize/San Pedro