“Local Family-Owned Value Hotel”

Ocean Tide Beach Resort
Ranked #20 of 55 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The Tides Beach Resort is unlike most resorts in San Pedro and Ambergris Caye for two reasons: 1) The cost per night is much less than most resorts. Instead of $200+ USD per night, this is closer to $80 USD after taxes. 2) The resort is run by a local family, not expatriates or foreign investors. We enjoyed our stay at the Tides Beach, though we'd classify it as a hotel, not a resort.

The only reason for not giving the resort a 5-star review is that the accommodations have not been updated, and this may not appeal to other travelers. The rooms are still comfortable, but they are not for everyone. Replacing the flooring, wall paint, curtains, and a few furnishings would make a considerable difference in the room's comfort level.

In spite of the rooms needing a little makeover, I'd recommend this resort for several reasons, though. 1) Support a local family. 2) Enjoy the small pool and deck right on the beach. 3) Get your exercise walking or biking to restaurants or other establishments on the island. It's not right in the heart of San Pedro, but it was a 10-minute walk to most places we wanted to see. Just watch out for the golf carts! 4) If you're a snorkeler or scuba diver, the scuba center is right in front of the hotel. 5) Compared to the other hotels on the island, this is one of the best places to stay for the price.

The Tides Beach has great potential to be the small hotel of choice on Ambergris Caye. I hope the owners are able to secure some funding to make the needed upgrades and continue serving the visitors of beautiful Ambergris Caye for years to come.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank David G

Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

I had a great time here! Wonderful location with a pool and clean rooms. Great price for a great stay, highly recommended! I really enjoyed the people who worked here and although you didn't get clean sheets each day - the room got cleaned each day. I can't say enough about how great of a location this place is to diving (patojo's dive shop out front), food (super markets nearby and lots of restaurants) and activities.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Cwfergus
Reviewed May 27, 2013

As others have pointed out - this is not a 5 star resort. It is a perfectly nice place stay with fantastic people. Patojo and Sabrina, the owners, are really nice caring people. As far as the one highly negative review - ignore it. Even if one has been on boats all their life, getting through the barrier reef is a skill learned only by boating through it. I have never been treated so well by a Dive Master as I have been by Patojo. He doesn't do 'cattle boats' and even took just four of us out the first day to do a check out dive. After the dive he gave good feedback and told me a few things I could do to improve my experience.
Even if you do not dive, it is a nice place. It is right on the beach and they have a nice fresh water pool. The Tides is in walking distance of bars, grocery stores, restaurants. My AC worked as did the TV although I did not use either too much as I was rarely in the room.

I personally am NOT the resort type. I have stayed in them before but, to be honest, I would rather talk to the local people than be waited on by them. Go to the Tides and enjoy the view!

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better breeze from the sea, but there are stairs. Lower floor is easier to get...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Roamin-Amy
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

My family and I had a great time.
It was me, my wife and our 2 young boys (3 & 1) and it was a great experience.
We got the downstairs area where we had a full kitchen, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and all air conditioned.
The pool area was a hit. It wasn't huge which made it much easier keeping track of the little ones.
It's also right access from the actual Caribbean Sea, so if you rather a salty and refreshing swim, you can have that too.
Regarding location if the hotel, it was only a 5-8 minute walk to just about anything you needed. From great restaurants to bike rentals, golf cart rentals of shopping area.

Scuba diving classes are also provided here, and their pool serves as a great practice point for new learners. I've never been on a scuba lesson or trip with Patojo's, but from what ice noticed, peeps seem to be having a great time.

Thee is wifi all over the hotel and it works great for keeping up with email and even streaming Netflix (again, the kids).

Great place and I'd definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2013
OceanTideBeach, General Manager at Ocean Tide Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Greetings landyvonne,

Thank you for an amazing review of our resort. I'm happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us. We really work hard to give the best service, and I'm glad to see those efforts pay off on your visit. I will make sure Julio gets the recognition he deserves as well as the rest of my amazing staff and thank you again for an amazing review.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

The tides is a budget accommodation. for a good price we had A/C, two beds and a bathroom that works. If you need a well furnished room and nice decor you will likely not be pleased. but if you are like me, and only spend a minimal amount of time in your room when on a paradise of an island, you won't mind. The rooms also have a mini fridge. There is a pool but I think it is used mainly for diving instruction as it is not large. The beach was really windy when we were there in March, but the lounging chairs near the pool was a perfect spot. My friend and i dont dive so I couldn't tell you about Pajoto's tours, but the guests we spoke to seem very happy with him. And I agree that the lady with the terrible review about the boat being too rough sounds like she is half crazy.

The tides is a little far from the action. You need to walk about 10 to 15 minutes to be close to the restaurants and bars. This walk is pleasant along the beach, but something to consider when you book. The owners were nice and friendly and very accommodating when we wanted to check out at a later time in the day, they let us keep our luggages in the room until almost 3.

I liked this place, but it was nothing overly special for me. It was a nice budget option on the island.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank dream245
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I arrived on Ambergris with a friend without a place to stay. With everyone else turning us away and preparing to sleep on hammocks at the end of any random dock we could find them on, we found the Tides. Oh my God, this family was amazing! They were very nice and after a little begging they gave us a room even though they were technically closed for the night. The room was very basic but clean and bed bug free! And it was so cheap! It’s right on the water and l loved hanging out on the Adirondack style wooden chairs, relaxing with a drink, overlooking the beautiful blue-green water. They have a pool but you also have the sea a few steps away from you. The pool bar now functions as the office. Yeah, they lost their liquor license but who cares. The Ambergris version of K-Mart is an easy walk if you want liquor. This family operates on trust and made us feel very welcome. And make sure you have some cash just in case the credit card machine isn’t working. It was around $50/night and we stayed there in August. Overall this is an awesome place for budget travelers. Beats a hostel any day since the $50 was split between two.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank MotorCityAdvisor
Reviewed March 7, 2013

After reading that woman's ridiculous review I feel responsible to give my experience at this resort/dive shop. This woman must think she was staying at a 5 star $500/night resort. Yes this resort is older and things could be in better shape. Then again look at the price you paid. In my experience the staff of the hotel made our stay a memorable one. Everything we asked for they did their very best to provide us with what they had. If you want to stay at a hotel where everything is brand new and you have a servant waiting on you hand and foot then you're going to pay for it. This hotel is very authentic and so are the people that work there. As for Patojo, I have had several dive instructors throughout the Caribbean and he is the best! My father and I dove during the same time this couple did and a storm had just come through. Anybody that knows anything about diving around the reef after a storm knows the waters get very rough. There are only a few channels that boats can get through to get outside the reef. It can be dangerous. Even though Patojo is an excellent instuctor, there is nothing he can do about this except get to the other side the way he has been doing it his whole life, slowly and cautiously. He doesn't tell you where he is going because he decides when he gets out there and finds the best spot for the conditions and what will be the most enjoyable for the divers. I help run a family buisness as Patojo does. And anybody else who does knows that there are some people you just can't make happy. This lady is one of them. If she tried to tell me how to do my job, which I've been doing my whole life, I might have the same reaction. This man is known by everyone on the island and people look up to him. I talked to several of the locals first-hand about him. He has trained many of the dive instuctors on the island at present. In conclusion, disregard that woman's review. I would recommend this resort to any of my family and friends and I am really looking forward to the day I get to dive with Patojo again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family