“Ruby's Hotel....You must read this....”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ruby's Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ruby's Hotel
Ranked #47 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Ruby's Hotel....You must read this....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2009

My mother and I stayed at Ruby's this past month and really got more than we expected. Looking back at other reviews that we read before we left, we can only laugh. I am not sure what sort of things some of these prima donnas were expecting of this quaint, family run hotel It seems as though they expected someone to greet them at the Tropic Air Terminal with roses to throw at their feet and then carry them to their room at Ruby's, all the while feeding them peeled grapes and fanning them with palm leaves...Seriously, naysayers...get a grip on reality. Ruby's is the sort of place that offers a comfortable place to rest your head after a weary day AWAY from your room. I didn't see roaches or any of the horrible things described. It was clean, the people were friendly and the cost was such that my mother and I were able to spend our hard earned dollars on activities in San Pedro, not financing the little mint on our pillows. It was a little noisy the first night we were there, but that was it. We stayed in Room 25 and had a great time. On the day we checked out, the front desk person was nice enough to come in an hour early before her scheduled shift, just so we could check out of our room and catch our flight. They gave us great tips on where to rent golf carts and tours and answered all of our questions with a friendly smile. Also, the girls at the cafe were so nice and their coffee and cinnamon rolls and Johnnycakes can't be beat. Another note is that we are not exactly the backpacker types. We like comfortable beds and air conditioning just as much as the next tourist. We also like to be treated nicely. These were all things we found at Ruby's and the view from our balcony couldn't be beat. Just the people watching alone was priceless. I would pay and have paid much more for much less. If you want a fancy -pants- kiss- your -butt all-inclusive, do yourself a favor, go to Cancun. If you want to enjoy the quaint unassuming beauty of San Pedro Town in one of the most beautiful countries on earth, come to Ruby's. Clean, comfortable, relaxing and friendly. We are already booking our room for next year :) And we do have some pictures from our balcony and room that we would be happy to share. Thanks for a great vacation Ruby's! Kirsten and Julie from Minnesota

• Stayed April 2009
8 Thank Kir1972

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2009

I have been to Ambergris Caye 3 times...This last time we stayed at Ruby's Hotel...I feel that this was my first visit as I really got to be a part of San Pedro. I feel the location is great...you get to be where everyone is hanging out and get to really know the heart of San Pedro...the people are genuine and you feel it at Ruby's...They bent over backwards for us and were so good to us. We were there 10 days and will stay there again next year..Nothing but good memories!!!!! If you don't want this, go to a resort and don't leave it.

• Stayed April 2009
Monument, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2009

For $40 US a night, you can't beat the location. We traveled around Guatemala, Belize and Mexico, and this was our least favorite hotel along the way, but still I would recommend it. When you pay this price, you can't expect a resort. However, the beach in front of the hotel was nicer than I expected. The location is the best in San Pedro. The bakery at the hotel is very good, I really liked the fresh squeezed orange juice.

I think Ruby's could update their rooms and charge a lot more. Lay tile over the old wood floors, and paint the rooms a bright color, it would be a lot better. Still, I'm not going to complain for $40 US a night for 2 people.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2009

Well, for $40 a night you get what you pay for. I wasn't expecting anything great and I was about right on. The redeeming quality is that it is right on the beach/ocean. We were on the third floor and had an amazing view. The room was quite small. It wasn't that it was necessarily dirty, but it needs a fresh coat of paint and to be tiled (has a dark wood floor that just gives you a feeling of dirty even though it really was fine). They only changed out your towels every two days and when you're staying on the beach your towels get dirty fast so it would have been nice to get fresh ones each day with the maid service. I was impressed by the fact that the hot water lasted for two fairly long showers.

The views like I said were amazing and where else can you stay on the beach in a hotel for $40 a night?? Despite previous postings complaining that there was no beach, I was pleasantly surprised. There was a beach for hotel guests and they provided you cushions for the lounge chairs. All we had to do was walk down stairs and off the deck and there you were on the beach right next to the ocean. It was small, but adequate as there were usually less than 8 people on it at any one time.

We were able to go on our snorkeling day trip right off the pier that is directly behind the hotel and it's right on front street which is one of the main three streets of the town area making it convenient for eating and shopping too.

One other drawback was that the room is not very quiet. They only have screens and then blinds on the windows so you can block out the sun but not the noise. The first night it was fine but the second night a group of loud college kids sat on the balcony of the second floor right below us and woke us up. We kindly asked them to move and they did, but not far enough b/c wherever they went I could still hear them.

Definitely not luxury by any stretch of the imagination, but for the location I would go there again if I were to return to San Pedro.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lzinsmaster11
Penang Island, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2009

Ok, I read the mixed reviews, thought I was prepared for the worst, I was only concerned with budget. What a mistake! I think we had the best room in the place, and it was unbelievable noisy. Drunks all night long outside the door. The room itself was clean, the bed was comfortable, but even with earplugs, it was not tolerable. This was our first trip to Belize and we had no idea, there are so many hotels and accomodation on Ambergeris Caye that staying in some place like this was really not the go. I think the second floor is rented out to Mexican workers. We did find one guy from South Carolina that loved the place, because the party bar next door with music, and hookers (truely from his mouth). So if you have a fifth of black velvet and want to make it a black out stay then this is the place. We booked for a week, but left after one night, walked down the beach and found heaps of places at good prices. We stayed at the Caribbean Resort super nice, good value when walking in. The occupancy is low right now because of the economy so I think you could just find something while your there.

• Liked — The bed was comfortable.
  • Disliked — The noise, location.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these San Pedro hotels

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2008

My mother and I stayed for four night in November 2008. Very central location, less than one block from the ferry dock. Upon arriving, Esther told us that the room we booked was occupied, so she upgraded us to a beachfront room with a/c at no charge. The location was superb, with many diving, dining, and shopping options within walking distance. Ruby's Cafe, located downstairs, had appealing coffee and breakfast pastries each morning. The hotel itself looks somewhat worn, but was clean, had ample room space, a nice third story balcony, and strong, hot water showers. There was some noise from revelers on the beach, but we did not find it distracting. Overall, a good budget option directly on the beach with easy access to San Pedro town. I would stay here again!!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank WillaRosen
california
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2008

hotel is run down and budget quality. good ac and bathroom. however i had my money belt stolen out of my zipped bag - lost $175. boards under bed squeeked like mad at every movement. hotel ok for really budget esthetic. location ok and i didn't find it noisy.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — stolen money
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank santamonicajane