“Great place to stay with really nice staff”

Changes In Latitudes Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 21 San Pedro B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great place to stay with really nice staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in March and loved the place. The staff was VERY helpful and arranged all our activities, cart rental, and flights back to Belize City. Room was small and clean with own A/C and shower. There is a fridge stocked with water and beer (inexpensive) you can access 24 hours. The hot breakfast was hearty. The B&B's owners were really wonderful and very helpful, we joined them one evening to listen to a band and have a few drinks. There is fast Wi-Fi and a grocery store a block away. I would stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
latitudesbelize, Manager at Changes In Latitudes Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Thanks so much for your review of our place!! Where you might have not given us 5 star's we have noted and were going to try harder to obtain the 5th star for you and all our future guest.
Blessings and thanks for coming to Belize...visit it often. It's a hidden treasure!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed 4 nights at CIL in march of 2013. My wife and I enjoyed our daily breakfast prepared by Esther. Upon check-in, Renita the owner definitely tried to make sure we felt at home. Josimar was always available to answer any questions and meet any of our needs.

The rooms are small but the prices were reasonable given the accommodations and location. It's about a 5-10 minute walk heading south from the San Pedro air strip. There's even a relatively large super market about 2 mins away. Wifi was easy to access.

All in all, i wouldn't hesitate to book CIL again for myself or recommend CIL to friends.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
latitudesbelize, Manager at Changes In Latitudes Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thanks E & Y ...we thank you so much for the review. We know you were only here for a short time so that means a lot to us you still enjoyed us. I know I and Esther Enjoyed your visit too. It's neat to think you came in for a wedding at another hotel, but still stayed with us. Thanks Thanks!!! We hope to see you back her again some day. Josimar & Esther,,,,, Cindy and Renita too.!!
nashville, tn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Our 4 th visit. This is a special place. The rooms are small, there is road noise at times and it is not a directly on the beach location. If you like comfortable hanging out, a home base for activities, and a great breakfast this is it. What make it really work are the unique personalities of Cindy and Renita who own and run the place. It seems they know everyone on the island and can make almost everything happen for you. They are warm and charming. If you are into the 4star hotel or all inclusive resort experience this is probably not for you. If you are into a sincere, informal and "real" experience, I think you will really like this place as we have. In 30 years of travel, this is about my top place to visit. Twcamp

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
latitudesbelize, Guest Relations Manager at Changes In Latitudes Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear T & B from Nashville, we are honored you stay with us each time. As well you brought your daughters to share the island experience this time. We know the B&B rooms are small, however you are just some of the guest who encompass the best of the best by knowing that Belize is a true overall experience. An experience, hidden beyond the inside of one’s hotel room. I’m glad you have discovered with us that It’s an adventure where people meet from all over the world and share the magic of what makes up one’s individual life. The tours, the dinner’s, the breakfast and of course the cocktail times are all wonderful times shared and enjoyed by most. So thanks for seeing the beauty of Ambergris Caye and the magic of Changes In Latitudes. We hope to see you again soon. Blessings!! RDD & CMR, Josimar and Esther.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

My boyfriend and I just finished the most wonderful trip to Belize! Coming from Caye Caulker, we checked in to ChiL on a Thursday for 3 nights. Even though we were 2 hours early, Renita let us check in. She personally showed us around the property and we were pleased with our clean, air-conditioned room. I know some of the reviews talk about how its on the smaller size but who comes to Belize to hang out in their hotel room? Pictures do not do the courtyard justice. It is such a comfortable place to sit and read or nap in the hammock. There is nice music always playing and it gets shade and breeze. We never used the outdoor shower but it seemed like a nice touch.

Pros:
*Shelf (matches your room number) in the community fridge, stocked with bottled water and cold beers (this was extremely convenient).
*The gorgeous and under crowded pool next door at the yacht club. We were the only ones there one day, and had the swim up bar all to ourselves
*Renita and Cindy go out of their way to help you. Renita set up a Valentines day dinner for us, at a great spot, while the sun went down. They also gave us a ride into town one day, on their personal golf cart.
*Breakfast. Always delicious, but I have to give a shout out to the French Toast which was the best I've ever had, complete with a homemade, rum-infused maple syrup.
*We were pleasantly surpised to find our bed made and new towels put into our room on the second day.
*Excellent staff. We spent the most time with Josemar, who was polite, helpful and always happy.

Cons:
*Leaving

I'd recommend staying here to anyone. ChiL will not just be a place you stay, it will be one of the greatest memories of your trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
latitudesbelize, Owner at Changes In Latitudes Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I so appreciate you and the many nice things you shared!! Today was a bad day! I think we had the worst guest in 9 years. Seeing your review reminds me why I do this. I, Esther, Cindy, Josimar, we all try so hard to understand guest & that they save some times years to go just to go on vacation. So we do all we can and inquire while you are here as to what we can do more to make your stay great here and in Belize. I think that's what makes us good. So thanks, for the kind words!! You reminded me to forget the bad and remember the good! Come back again and again to Belize... it's such a hidden treasure. Get back before they "pave paradise an put up a parking lot". Thanks RDD
Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

There are lots of rules when you stay at Changes in Latitude. Make sure you learn them or you risk being told off. Don't be late for breakfast, don't take the wrong bike, don't bring friends back to the property....don't relax too much on your holiday...!
On the plus side:
This B&B is in a good location, the staff are super nice and helpful in arranging tours. One of the owners (Renita) is friendly. Our room was ok - very small - but was good value for money. The courtyard is a pleasant place to hang out. It's great that they have an arrangement with Ramon's Village so you can walk a few steps along the beach and hang out on their beach chairs and hammocks. The breakfasts are good.
On the negative side:
One of the owners (Susie) seemed to take a dislike to us right from the start (I think because we asked for an iron which she seemed to think was unnecessary) and was very unfriendly to us throughout our stay. This spoiled things a little as otherwise we thought this was a good find and a nice place to stay while in San Pedro.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank SingleMindedExplorer
latitudesbelize, Owner at Changes In Latitudes Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Hello "Single Gal's"! Possibly you chose the wrong location for your vacation..oops! It happens! As one of the owners, (Renita) I thought I would reply. Yes you are correct breakfast is only served up to a certain time of the day...Sorry we have only 6 rooms and over the years we've come up with a fair time we feel meets most travelers of our B&B. I work all day Saturdays to give my staff the day off and so I can keep a gauge on the business. I was your cook/server that told you when you arrived after breakfast hours. I thought I reminded you of the hours politely, but if not I'm sorry and I'll re-adjust my delivery for the next late comers. Even though I did serve you breakfast when you arrived late. I do recall you said "this is the BEST French Toast I you ever had". So it sounded like you liked the food, and only wished we would serve later. I'll consider that, THANKS!! In my title I said, maybe you chose the wrong location for your vacation, as we are are not used to our guests having late night visitors to the rooms. We have full time security that tries to secure you at all times from vendors, persons who might break into a room, etc. When the staff discretely asked about the wee hours of the morning comings and goings based on security notes, we were just trying to make sure you intended for such a visitor. Might I make a suggestion, next time you stay somewhere small like us...let the staff (or the owner) know you "might" have visitor and we'll advise security as well. WE DO allow for our guests to invite visitors we don't mind at all! However local guys coming and going at late hours just concerned us. So that is why we discretely asked you "if you were ok?" Heck I didn't even know about it until you wrote the review...so it was no big deal for us. Sorry you felt you could not have guests visit you. Oops on yours and our part, possibly.
With regards to the bike...that was simply another oops. You two gal's asked for bike keys and I gave them to you as we keep all the bikes locked at all times. However for some reason you choose to only take one of the assigned (by #) "locked guest bikes", disregarded the other bike I gave you a key for.....and instead you took our housekeeper’s bike. I recall this because the cleaner thought someone had stolen hers. All our bikes have plates that say Changes In Latitudes, and come with keys and locks. Again sorry, that you thought it was a problem, it was not. And last but not least...there is no one here at all by the name of Susie, so not sure who you are referring to. I do recall you asking for the iron, the night I knocked on your door. It was after business hours 6:00 am to 6:00 pm. If you recall I was just popping in and seeing if anyone wanted FREE ticket to the Kelly McGuire show. A $50 value...as someone at Crazy Canucks (a local bar) was giving them way. At that time you asked for the iron, I could not locate it at the B&B, so I personally went to my home and brought you mine. Seems room # 6 had the iron out on loan and did not return it to the common area. In 9 years of business, I've never had two rooms want an iron at the same time. Seems I need to buy another iron. I'll do that soon. We are a small hotel with personalized service that in this case seemed to be "possible" over - care on our part. Thanks for the review!! We'll pull back the reins a bit and consider all you have shared. BIG thanks for the positives you shared here and we hope you enjoyed San Pedro, as I'm sure San Pedro enjoyed having you both!!

Renita
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

This was our third trip to San Pedro in a year. We could not get a room where we stayed before. However did we make a best choice!! Changes in Latitudes is terrific!
The staff and owners are awesome! They make you feel as if you are at home. This is definitely the best bargain in San Pedro. Renita and Cindy are very friendly and knowledgeable about the island. Esther makes the best breakfasts ever! Josimar was helpful and fun to talk to.
The garden area is beautiful and a relaxing place to spend the afternoon.
Another good idea they have is to provide Belikin beer and water at cost--in the refrigerator anytime you want it without having to go out!
We were here for Kelly McGuire's Birthday Bash and it was a bonus that some of the artists stayed at Latitudes.

All in all a great trip and we can't wait to come back! Renita, Cindy, Esther, and Josimar--see you next year!!!

Room Tip: Get a room on the garden side
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review! Hope to see you again soon!
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

When I dreamed of San Pedro (a la Madonna), I never could have expected to uncover such a gem of a place. From the time I inquired about availability to booking to the millions of questions I had in advance of my trip to my arrival/stay to being dropped off by Renita at the airport, I was impressed every step of the way by Changes In Latitudes. It's a very special place, and very unique for San Pedro. Only about a 10-minute walk south of town, it's worlds away from the sterile budget options that proliferate in the centre and much more accessible than many of the large resorts.
Cindy and Renita have created a really welcoming, laid back environment. I stayed in Room 1, which was perfect. It wasn't huge, but spacious enough, clean, well maintained and very cozy and comfortable. Everything worked well -- plugs, AC, Internet. The garden sitting area was incredible. Well designed, lots of seating options (whether you wanted to socialize or have quiet time to catch up on emails) and a great place to relax after a busy day of adventures. Changes attracts a great clientele -- friendly travelers who want to get to know other guests over the great (included!) breakfasts or evening drinks, but also want to relax in a quiet, chill environment. It was perfect. And as a solo female traveler, I welcomed the "family" style vibe and the safety/security that I felt at all times.
Cindy and Renita run a tight ship. They have been on the island long enough to know the ins and outs and they transfer all of that knowledge willingly to their guests. With so many options for activities, adventures, dining and nightlife, Cindy and Renita help make it as seamless as possible by not only recommending reputable companies but going the extra mile to arrange everything. I snorkeled and dove while I was there, and both companies they connected me with were fantastic. And the best part? All I had to do was get ready and be at the end of the dock at the right time for pick up. No arrangements, no phone calls, no back and forth. Changes took care of all of that for me. And that allowed me to just focus on having fun and enjoying the experience to the max.
I had an amazing time while I was in San Pedro, and much of that can be attributed to Cindy, Renita and the great staff at Changes in Latitudes.

Room Tip: I was in room 1. Decorated in a nautical theme. It has a bunk bed and ample shelving. Bonus: the Int...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
latitudesbelize, Owner at Changes In Latitudes Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you! We expect to see you again next year!!