“Don't worry 'bout a thing”
Review of Capricorn Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Capricorn Resort
Ranked #47 of 55 Hotels in San Pedro
new york, ny
Reviewed January 13, 2006

Judging by some of the other reviews, it seems a lot of people were disappointed with this resort. Well, if you are expecting constant hands-on attention and lavish service like more and more linens every day and your napkin laid in your lap, then this isn't the place for you.

However, if you do enjoy the simplicity of a charming cabana on the beach with cathedral ceilings, a ceiling fan, walls painted bright tropical colors and covered with central american tapestries and art, then this may be the place for you. To boot, you get a very attentive staff who by the end of the trip feel like family. The restaurant food is unbelievable. The bartenders are super friendly. And everything has that very casual, laid back feeling.

Every morning, you can traipse out of your cabana (bare foot if you'd like) and waltz straight into the kitchen for a cup of coffee or tea. And then a few moments later, one of the staff will bring you a big plate of eggs, bacon, or maybe an omelet, with some fruit. and you get to eat this all from the veranda overlooking the beach and the water with nobody else around. because at most, there can only be 6 guests at this resort.

at night things do liven up because of the infamous restaurant. which besides providing great food, gave me and my traveling companion the opportunity to meet some great and interesting people. and the kitchen closes at 9pm, so people disperse rather quickly after that, leaving you to sleep peacefully in your little cabana on the beach.

As for all those comments about the water, we didn't experience that problem. there was a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of sulphur smell, but we brushed our teeth with it, took nice warm showers in it, and believe me, nobody and nothing smelled.

If you're the fussy type, don't go to this resort. If you want to be laid back, meet interesting people and enjoy the simplicity of life. then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: December 2005
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed September 27, 2005

Hello,
I recently went back to the Capricorn Resort. The first time my husband I went we had a wonderful time. The staff was great, and we really liked Clive the bartender and Mrs. Miguela the cook. We were amazed by the food and the hospitality. We were most impressed with the chef, Merit. He was very pleasant and would sit with us at the bar when he had a chance. He told us about his plans for the place and how he wanted to make it better. We were very, very impressed with the challenge he took on.
We decided to go back and enjoy the company of those friendly people. However, we were hugely disappointed. First, we found out that Merit (the chef), was no longer there. Right away it seemed the place had a different feel. Reagan the co owner, who we did not really see the first time, was there on her own. She seemed disinterested in how we were doing and it seemed like an inconvenience for us to be there. The food defiantly had lost some flavor. Although we were happy to see Clive and Mrs. Miguela, it was a grave disappointment. Reagan's attitude was spiteful and rude. She seemed like a spoiled child with nothing better to do. Suffice it to say that our trip was for a week at the Capricorn, the second day we changed hotels and went to the Pescador (which was right next door, by the way). There we had the wonderful time we had expected. Overall I would not recommend the Capricorn. Merit, Clive and Mrs. Miguela: we miss your cooking and company. Thank you very much for making our first trip enjoyable.

Disappointed,
Beth

26  Thank Jane D
Reviewed August 2, 2005

Just got back from my honeymoon in Belize and had a wonderful time traveling all over the country. Our last stop was in Ambergris and we spent four nights at the Capricorn Resort. I want to preface this review by saying that my husband and I are NOT picky, snobby, spoiled Americans - and I have traveled a lot in third world countries. So that being said, I'll start off with the good things about Cap Resort: The restaurant is great, staff is attentive, food was excellent and the setting is lovely. The bar is pretty fun too. As far the "Resort" goes the rooms are cute, kinda of bohemian/eclectic and #1 is right on the beach. There are only 3 cabanas so you don't have that touristy megahotel feel. You get use of bikes (only 2 though- so if the other guest are using them...) and kayaks and there is decent snorkeling at the reef in front of the hotel.
So let's get to the bad- the water thing as mentioned in other reviews is really a big deal. It is VERY salty and I can't even begin to describe the smell, the most overpowering sulphur I have ever experienced, permeating the whole room, even the sheets smelled of sulfur. My husband and I were laughing because the website advertises a "shower built for two," but the last thing you would ever want to do is have a romantic moment in sulphur springs. When we mentioned the smell to the owner's friend, who was visiting and she said that the whole Island is the same and she dropped the "it's a third world county" - but this is simply not true. We used the laundry facilities at the big resort next door, guess what, no smell at all. And we met some people who had stayed at Victoria House (same price) and guess what, no smell. You can buy a water treatment system to get rid of this- they just haven't invested in that yet. Some other people who were staying in the cabana next to us decided to not take a shower for the week they were visiting- how romantic. They do offer you unlimited bottled water, so we did a final rinse in that after every shower- and then we had to light the incense that comes standard in each room (I wonder why) and sit on the porch for a while.
The other "bad" thing about the Capricorn is the management of the "Resort side." The staff were very nice, but overall you get the feeling that the place is all about the restaurant and the guests actually staying there are kind of an afterthought. Our room was swept every day and the bed was made, but I think we only got clean towels once or twice- stuff like that. The website offers a "tour desk" and made it seem like the staff would be there to help you coordinate all your activities. We started by asking the woman at the front desk about tours - prices times, etc. and she was clueless, so we asked to speak to the owner. Well, when we asked her about suggestions and assistance with planning- she didn't seem to want to be bothered and she directed us to a folder of brochures in our room. She was nice enough, but didn't seem genuinely interested in the guests- not that I need to be lavished with attention, but it was off-putting. (She ultimately booked a snorkeling tour for us, which was fun and worked out fine.) When we checked in no one ever mentioned this "folder" (turns out it was in our room in a basket behind a plant - and it was a collection of local tour operators price guides and phone #'s) and we were never asked or told about any activities. So that kind of was a bummer too, we felt put off and like we were on our own. Same thing happened when we asked about golf cart rental and assistance booking our flight back to Belize city, the woman behind the desk said she would call for us and then just didn't do it. We were kinda of on our own, which is fine but kinda hard when you don't have a phone.
So I would definitely recommend the Capricorn Resort for it's restaurant and bar- Clive and Maurice were awesome! But I would choose lodging elsewhere. They should at least lower the rates to match the water issue and lack of amnities.

• Stayed: July 2005
34  Thank Austingirl
Reviewed July 7, 2005

I actually WANTED to stay at Capricorn after reading about their place. I was looking for a secluded location where I could still access town, and where I could relax. Unfortunately, this was not the case at Capricorn "Resort." The only positive about this place was the staff. This place (in the off season) would be fair if it cost around $75 a night. However, my rate was more like $155 (same as Victoria House, without the pool, clean water, comfortable bed, exceptional service, beautiful grounds, proximity to San Pedro - no water taxi required, must I continue?). When I was there, the sulfur smell from the faucet and shower was so horrendous that I wanted to vomit. I'm sorry, this place NEEDS to invest in an R.O. system if they want to charge Victoria House prices. I feel sorry for people who end up at this place, it's a real shame to have to spend your vacation at a place where you can't brush your teeth in peace (the smell!!! AND the water is SALTWATER coming out of the tap). My boyfriend and I were actually contemplating NOT taking a shower for a week because we didn't want to get in the Capricorn shower based on the smell. I braved it one time and had to burn INCENSE to kill the smell - which didn't really work (I had to shave!). Anyway, we approached the owner after one full day and explained our situation. Although she told me in person that she would refund my money, she has only refunded HALF, and now I have to file a claim with my credit card company - what a drag. I never ate at the restaurant, I'm sure it's good. Many people come from FAR away (i.e. San Pedro) to eat there. Maybe Capricorn should either stick with what they do best, OR lower their rates. It really seems like there is no other fair way to do business. I genuinely feel that the place was misrepresented in its advertising, and I would certainly steer anyone away from this place based on the price (and the water).

• Stayed: July 2005