I knew this wasn't a new property and that it isn't a big resort with loads of amenities. I believe is was a nice property at one time, but it is far from that now.
We started out the first day, after hours of travel, with only a trickle of water and it wasn’t hot. The front desk sent someone who turned on all the faucets and told us to let them run until it warmed up. This was strange because fresh water is a commodity on most islands and they ask you to reduce use. After 10 minutes it was a lukewarm trickle and we pseudo bathed. It was this way for a week. The last night there was no water at all from the hot. We reported it, again the same response. An hour later we had a flow from the hot tap that was nasty red from rust.
The tub and tile were in bad repair. Tiles repaired with caulk, black mold on tub fixtures and in tile grouting. The same tile "repairs" were made around the sink in the kitchen.
The ocean front 1 bedroom suites are not truly "ocean front"; they are what most would describe as "ocean view". They are along the side of a building and other 45-degree views of the water. We were lucky to be closer to the ocean than many others, but still not true ocean front like the 2-4 bedroom suites.
There are no dead bolts or other devices on the doors. Even a chain would give you some comfort.
The mattresses are typical of what we have experienced in Central America: hard or lumpy. In this case lumpy.
I do have to say the staff was friendly. The free breakfast items were limited, but good. Service in the restaurant is slow. The location is close enough to town, yet much quieter.
The property just needs major renovation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The friendliest resort sitting on the powdery sand of Mar de Tumbo Beach just south of San Pedro Town on the Ambergris Caye of Belize, Banana Beach Resort has been a haven of fun, adventure, and relaxation for more than 10 years. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Banana Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Banana Beach Hotel San Pedro
- Banana Beach San Pedro
- Banana Beach Belize
- Banana Beach Resort Belize/San Pedro