“3rd trip to Seven Seas”

Ranked #36 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Redondo Beach
“3rd trip to Seven Seas”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

I just returned from my 3rd stay at the Seven Seas Resort and it was great! My girlfriend and I stayed 10 days in early December. Roberto & Tony set up all of our excursions; snorkle trip, dive trip and Mayan ruins/cave tubing, etc. You get a nice discount on everything the staff sets up for you. They also made some great recommendations for local places to eat that weren't touristy places. We had delicious empanadas from a lady that seemed surprised to see non-locals at her tiny place.
The Seven Seas is one of my favorite places in the Caribbean. It is a family run resort instead of a corporate operation with uncaring staff. The free Wi-Fi worked flawlessly and is one of the fastest systems in the area. In fact, CNN had a news crew staying there covering a story due, in part, to the hi-speed Wi-Fi. They loved the resort, too!
Bill, the owner, is always on-site and available. He's lived on Ambergris Caye for over 25 years. He really knows the area and is really nice to talk to. Helen & Manuela, the housekeeping staff, made sure that the room was kept up as we liked it.
All in all, it was another great vacation and I know we'll be back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Walter W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I always start by saying as a working correspondent for CNN I look for different attributes than tourists on vacation... that said if I'm looking for a wonderful way to enjoy San Pedro, Belize and not bust the bank then Seven Seas is the place.
From the moment we showed up racing to get on the air the staff could not have been more accomodating. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and I say charming. This is not some cookie cutter resort but a genuine one of a kind quiet home away from home with a view that is tough to beat anywhere. Owner Bill Wilkinson takes pride in the place and it shows. If your one of those who like to keep the front door open to feel the breeze and the sound of the waves come in then this is that kind of place. We've already been back twice and will keep looking for any excuse for a third!

Room Tip: Room seven has been freshly updated and is the model for what's to come.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank msavidge
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This hotel was our first stop on our two week honeymoon. SInce we were traveling in the off season, we were the only ones at the resort. The front desk and cleaning crew were wonderful, helping us with everything from setting up excursions, lending us peroxide for swimmers ear, and even finding my wedding band!! There is air conditioning in the bedroom, but not the entire suite, but that didn't bother us too much. The downside: their website promotes that they are steps to the beach. TECHNICALLY they ARE beach front- Front road is in between the hotel and the "beach". The beach is actually a small sandy area with a three foot concrete wall that drops into the ocean. The water was also very grassy, so there really was no way to swim. Nice place for the price, but next time I think we might try to find a deal at a resort with an actual beach

Room Tip: Ask for beachfront!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KAZO1012
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We took our 2 grown children, their spouses, and two grandchildren (one was 2 months and one was 2 years) to San Pedro Belize for a week of snorkeling, cart riding and hanging out by the "big sandbox". Seven Seas Resort was the place for us. We had two units (with kitchen) side by side for the most reasonable price, especially during late September. Our doors stayed open most of the day for the 2 year old to go back and forth between his room and ours. The doors also opened to a lovely and safe sandy area for him to make cakes and build houses. We also spend time in the nice pool with a squirt gun and pouring cups. If you are taking children to San Pedro Seven Seas is a good spot. The staff were wonderful and friendly each and every day and loved helping our grandson practice his beginning Spanish phrases. They seemed to really enjoy having a little one around. The street out front has some cart traffic but not enough to be a problem plus the sandy area out in front of the hotel is built up and has a small wall. We also enjoyed walking out on the pier to watch the activities going on. The pier is available to guest and we were able to have our snorkeling guide pick us up here each time. The relaxed atmosphere of Seven Seas and the wonderful attitude of all the employees and owner Bill, made our week. I hope to take our grandbabies back again another day. If you have small children or even teens this is the place to stay. Save the resort and fancy for a couples trip. Seven Seas is more like home. Our little 2 year old cried when we loaded the luggage in the car and he realized we were leaving.

The only negative for me was the little bar two doors down on Karoke night. Bring some earplugs...seriously. this was a minor annoyance compared to the excellent service and friendly, relaxed environment.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank sadavis51
Redondo Beach
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I first stayed at the Seven Seas way back in 1991 on a family vacation after a referral from some of mom's fellow employees at American Airlines. When the rusty old shuttle van dropped us off from the airport in front of the Seven Seas my brother and I saw a worried look on the faces of our folks. My folks had been entertainers, accustomed to staying in high end hotels all over the world and this was not what they expected. Just before they got their minds going negative I said, " Isn't this place awesome? About that time a guy walked up and said, " Hi Folks, I'm Bill,  welcome you to San Pedro Town and the Seven Seas Resort. I hope you enjoy your stay." He was wearing a swimsuit while our group was in suits and ties (mom in a dress) from traveling as American Airlines employee and family members (major dress code back then). Bill informed us that he was appropriately dressed for any place, any time in San Pedro. There were NO paved streets anywhere and if you wanted to go north of the hotel more than about 300 yards you had to wade across the river.

Well, we had the time of out lives on that trip. The hotel was a real gem. It was always clean, inside and out, and Bill and his staff were always there if you had questions about anything. We loved it!  The diving was great, the town was incredible and the people more so.

I went back again about a year ago and Bill had been busy in the intervening years. The place looked the same, but different.  It was modern and fresh while staying laid back and comfy. The palm trees are taller and the "neighborhood" has built up somewhat, but it still has the same island hospitality. It's not the snooty, high end spa resort that some people seem to require, but is run by a great guy with friendly and helpful staff. The rooms were being remodeled and a pool had been added. They have added free wi-fi, flat screen TV's with cable, and lots of new furnishings and the rates are still some of the best around. The location is perfect, just on the edge of the town, and is easy strolling distance from anything you could want, yet away from the bustle of the growing town of San Pedro.

Victor, the manager, and Roberto, desk service and maintenance, are super. They are always there to offer help with anything from making reservations for excursions, to offering recommendations for restaurants, groceries, entertainment, etc. My girlfriend and I have reservations for this December and can't wait.....

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Walter W
Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here on an RCI exchange, while backpacking Belize for thirteen days. We were supposed to stay for 7 nights, but left after 2 because of the accommodations.
Here are the good things about the hotel: the staff were very friendly, the location is pretty good (a close walk into the main part of town), and the kitchenette was equipped with basic items needed for cooking. Steven, the time share salesman, informed us that the "resort" was in the process of being upgraded (a complete overhaul, including new windows) and he believed it would be finished in one year. Based on this, I wouldn't even look at this place until summer 2013.
We were given Room 11, which was on the top floor. The decor was extremely outdated, the towels were stiff and scratchy, and the bed linens were very worn. The bedroom felt like a cell as there were no windows and the mattress was foam and the pillows were chunks of foam (I am not kidding). We opted to sleep on the futon in our sleeping bags. I expressed concern about the condition of the room, especially with it being a time share, and the staff told us we could switch rooms once one became available.
After 2 nights in Room 11, we were moved to Room 2 which was on ground floor. This room had newer furniture and a real mattress and real pillows. We felt it was much better and were happy to stay here... until we came home at 8:00 with our dinner and two cockroaches were running all over the chair as we sat on the couch! These were the only cockroaches I saw during our entire stay in Belize. Maybe to some people cockroaches are not a big deal, I don't know, but we are from Canada and we don't have cockroaches here, so they creep me out. We tried to get them but one ran under the fridge and the other ran under the hide-a-bed. That was enough for us, we immediately packed our bags and went to another hotel for the evening, and the rest of our stay on San Pedro.

Also, for RCI exchange people. We were emailed the following information from RCI regarding extra fees:

Need To Know
Mandatory Fees/Deposits
Utility surcharge is 10.00 to 20.00 U.S. dollars.
- Fee for Electricity per week

Utility surcharge is 11.00 U.S. dollars.
- Mandatory Water fee per couple, per week

However, when we checked out after 3 nights (although we didn't sleep there the third night) we were charged over $50 U.S. and it was rated per day, not a total of $31.00 as this information would have you believe.

Room Tip: Don't get room number 11. See your room before you check-in as each room is very different.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JennyLovesAsia
Bossier City, LA
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My husband and I just returned from 5 nights at Seven Seas Resort and we had a wonderful time! The resort was perfect. It is close enough to town so it is no problem to walk to anything. We rented a golf cart because we wanted to explore and Roberto called around to be sure he was getting us the best deal. The staff is amazing! They arranged the golf cart, our snorkeling/spearfishing trip, taxi to water taxi to get home, recommended restaurants/things to do... Steve asked us one night if there was anything they could do to make our stay better and we really couldn't think of anything. We were in one of the older rooms but it was all we needed. It wasn't fancy but when we're on vacation our room is just for sleep and showers anyway. I did look at one of the remodeled units and it's going to be so nice when they are all done. Our room and the property were always very clean and that is what matter most to me. We have done quite a bit of traveling and have never been to the same hotel twice. I will say that next time we are in San Pedro (and hopefully that will be next summer!) we will be back to the Seven Seas. Thanks so much to Roberto, Bill, Victor and Steve for making our first trip to Belize a perfect one.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple