“Outstanding food. Exceptional staff. Great accommodations.”

Portofino Beach Resort
Ranked #19 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Santa Maria, California
“Outstanding food. Exceptional staff. Great accommodations.”
Reviewed February 3, 2011

My favorite resort in San Pedro.

I have no complaints about my week long honeymoon stay at Portofino. The restaurant has amazing food, even when compared to the surrounding resorts. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and romantic. The staff was outstanding. We've made friends that we plan to keep in touch with. I WILL GO BACK!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed December 8, 2010

We had big expectations of Portofino as a 4-star resort. Unfortunately they aren’t quite there yet. Not saying we had a bad stay but it’s the little things which count- and were overlooked.

When we arrived, we were supposed to be met at the docks by their water taxi. 2 phone calls and 30 minutes later they told us that they were actually 2 docks away- not that we would know that. Our room was nice, until they put someone in the place above us. You would have thought elephants were living in there because the floors are so thin! Everything from the remote control not working to the fan having 2 speeds- high and off- it just seemed like Portofino missed the mark.

Oh and the owners live onsite with their family. You’d see them everywhere- from the bar to the beach- but they never once said hello. It was just weird how little they cared about hospitality.

The staff was very nice and tried to make our stay comfortable. But every time they got something right something else came along which was wrong.

The food is so-so. A bit overpriced but your options are limited.

The saving grace of Portofino is the location. It’s beautiful and secluded. It is very relaxing if you don’t expect a 4 star stay. Just have to go with the flow and temper your expectations. We would probably stay there again- if they had a deal- but not at full price and not during a peak season.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brad M
Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 6, 2010

We had a wonderful stay at Portofino and felt immediately welcomed by the staff who provided top rate personalized service with great attention to detail. My husband and I were married at the resort, so we heavily relied on their management of the wedding events and we were overall very pleased! We also stayed there for the honeymoon and only wish we could have stayed longer. We loved the style of the accommodation - the rooms were a great blend between island rustic and resort chic. We would stay at Portofino again in a heartbeat!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 29, 2010

It was very good...above my expectations. The hotel is very clean and the style is unique. I love the wood floor in my room, the hammocks and the tranquility. The chef I think is from Netherlands so the food is very good with an European accent. I think is a hotel for honeymoon, my son doesn't have company and I have to play, snorkeling ,canoeing ...i was exhausted. But if you are going with your husband or boyfriend..it is perfect.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Liberty Lake, Washington
Reviewed November 15, 2010

Well....what to say about the Portofino! We loved it! My husband and I spent our 20th wedding anniversary there. The people there are lovely and the resort is lovely. I have traveled alot and the resort was perfect for us. The people just can not do enough for you. Sandra and Yan are fun and really want you to enjoy your stay. Roberto will find what you need no matter what. The continential breakfast was just what we wanted everyday. (coffee, juice, fresh fruit and toast and jam/peanut butter.) If you want something else they have a full breakfast menu. The restaurant is open for breakfast,lunch and dinner. There were a few times that we were in after the restaurant had closed and they still made us something which was really great.
They have the BEST civeche I had ever had.!!! We tried a few around the island that was our favorite. The food was always good. Not always exactly the same as the name would get you in the states but you are in a different country so things can be different. we never had anything we didn't like. They have the best Margaritas.

We snorkled off the end of the peer. It was supprised at the number of fish we saw. They have equipment for you to use. We brought our own snorkel and mask. We did use the fins and they worked great. We used the kayaks and enjoyed them.
We had a couple night when we drank in the bar. Layed back but very fun.

Location: may or may not be what you want. We loved it but it is a bit remote from the little town so if you want to be in the town. This resort isn't. They have a boat that goes into town a couple of time a day. That usually didn't work for us. We took the water taxi. It was not too expensive and ran frequently. Just let Roberto know what you want to do and he will figure it out for you. Just check the times in town so you know when to catch your return boat.

If you want to do anything on the island, they will hook you up. We found that the companies that they worked with were very good and they will bill for you so you just pay them at the end of you trip. I didn't find it to be any more expensive when booked through the resort and they seem to work with very professional knowledgable companies. One day we wanted massages and the place they usually work with was closed so Roberto found us another place and booked it for us. It was wonderful. We had to pay directly because the resort didn't have a billing relationship with that spa.
It was wonderful and Roberto made sure we got it done when we wanted it.
We also booked a private reef fishing and snorkling trip on our last day. We really enjoyed that and when got back to the resort they cooked up our catch for us and we had an amazing lunch.
The cabanas are lovely. They are a bit on the rustic side.,. They have a hammock on your porch, which both my huband and I thoroughly enjoyed. They have a small fridge and a smail TV. No phone in the rooms. they do have WIFI and I had cell service. I haven't gotten the bill yet so I don't know how much I was paying for those calls and texts that I was sending. They have a really nice beach that they keep very clean. Lots of chairs and tables for relaxing.

What they don't have....which we didn't miss. work out room. spa on site, hot tub. I didnt' see a lot of hot tubs at the other resorts either. They don't have a swim up bar. So if you have to have those things or if you want to be able to walk to the night life. This might not be the place for you. If you love to stay on the beach, and want GREAT service, this is probaly the place for you. We went out one night and did the bars and dancing and San Pedro.
It was fun butone night was plenty of that. It is easy enought to get to town if you want to you just have the cost of thewater taxi. We looked at other places when we were there and we really liked Portofino best.
There are other nice places like Victoria house and the Phoenix but they definatley had a different vibe. They were not what we were looking for on this trip.
IF I recall correctly, Sandra calls it barefoot elegance and I think that is a very fair description.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nwpass
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 3, 2010

Portofino Beach Resort was the most perfect place to spend our honeymoon! We stayed there for 7 nights in the Jasmine Suite ( as the Honeymoon Suite was already booked.. the most popular one )... What a great view!!! Every morning we went for coffee which is complimentary, back to our suite and just sit in the porch and enjoy a beautiful view of the clear water.

Most of the days we just enjoyed the resort and the beach but I must say the days we went out on excursions which were booked by the resort went pretty well. You just have to say what you want and they will take care of the rest!!!

The resort is located north of the main town which was cool as it is very private however easy access to get in town, it took us approximately 15 minutes in their complimentary boat transfer.

Amazing staff and owners!! We now feel we have a new family at Portofino. I definitely recommend this resort to everyone. At first we thought it was a honeymooners resort but families, divers or just friends are all welcome.

We miss you guys and we will be back soon!!

1 Thank Lovebug07
New York
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I went in October, when the weather is supposed to be cloudy and raining. I got lucky with sun every day, and fewer people at the resort.

The bungalows are bigger than i would have imagined and they took great care to keep it clean, and add fresh rose petals and flowers all over it each day. It had a TV and a large purified water cooler in the room. The concierge (Roberto) seems to be at his post 24 hours a day, and I'm not sure when he sleeps. If you are willing to splurge, the hotels food is very good, and desserts even better. The bar is run by a very friendly and helpful gentleman named _____. On one night, after being badly sunburned he picked me some fresh aloe leaves which hit the spot. While I didn't have time to get into their bar scene (green parrot), it seems lively and well run.

While the resort, facility and beach are beautiful and very well maintained, you need a water taxi to get anywhere, as with all the resorts on Ambergris Caye which are outside of san pedro. I thought it was s pretty awesome spot for the money i paid and would recommend it to anyone. It exceeded my expectations