We took a quick few days getaway after our wedding as the main honeymoon trip will be in September. Portofino is a honeymooners paradise, on the boat ride from town one night we were four honeymoon couples in the boat. But the resort is not only for couples in love, we saw families and older folks having just as much fun as we were.
Food is outstanding and the restaurant was busy every night, the restaurant has such a good reputation and the resort offers a free boat ride for town for those not lucky enough to be staying at the resort. Some great Italian wines by the glass as well as a well put together list of international selections.
I think the pool is the deepest on the island at the deep end, you only have to meet the affable owners to see why, Sandra and her husband Jan (6 foot 8 in his bare feet) and their staff offer amazing levels of personal attention. On arrival our room was decked out with fresh flowers, we had enough space in the room to play honeymoon tag, the room was huge. Evening time we got some free DVD’s from the front desk and snuggled up for the night in the jumbo bed for a video and perfect rest.
Daytime we ventured out with Bobby a local fisherman used by the resort, he was amazing and neither of us had ever fished before – of course my wife had first catch and biggest catch of the day a 13 pound Baracuda which was promptly prepared on board and cooked on a small beach , perfect. The next day we took the resort double kayak and headed out to nearby Mexico Rocks for some amazing snorkeling. Oh forgot to mention that we snorkeled the day before with Bobby at Hol Chan Marine Park with nurse sharks, a little daunting at first but WOW the reef life was mind bending.
So if you are looking for a superb serving of luxury without it being over formal, friendly accommodating staff who remember your name and what your programme is, a spacious pool, truly scrumptious food all at good prices then don’t bother looking anywhere else. The whole team including Moh your boat captain who seems to work 48 hours a day and always smiling, then head for Portofino. I have to mention too that as a hotelier we are normally very demanding travelers and Jan, Sandra and the team at Portofino left us with an amazing short immersion of Ambergris Caye which will not be easily forgotten. Wish we could have stayed longer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Characterized by its warm and friendly hospitality, Portofino is the epitome of barefoot luxury, unpretentious and relaxing… for most; it will be an experience of a lifetime. Our small, boutique resort offers just 17 beautifully appointed rooms, ranging from charming beach cabanas to spacious suites, dotted amidst swaying palm trees, in a private setting with unmatched personal attention and the modern comforts of home. It is a haven of tranquility, where guests will enjoy the subtle sounds of the nearby waves lapping over the reef, gentle breeze, breathtaking sunrise, star studded night sky and spectacular views of the crystal waters of the Caribbean Sea. The perfect setting for a romantic getaway, intimate wedding, honeymoon, family and friends.Portofino offers leisure options to suit every taste. Relax in our fresh water outdoor swimming pool; enjoy a great book from our book collection or simply indulge yourself in a massage on the beach under our hand thatched palapa hut. Explore the underwater world with snorkel equipment or skim along the surface in our complimentary sea kayaks. Delicious meals prepared by our resort chef can be served in the privacy or your beach cabana or suite, on our private dock with a romantic setting or at the Portofino Restaurant. Sip on amazing tropical cocktails at the Green Parrot Beach Bar or perhaps a late afternoon snack from the Green Parrot Bistro. Take advantage of our DVD library and unwind in front of the flat TV screen in your room. Or, simply take in the view. In short, relax and enjoy! Reception in the main building is manned by professional and knowledgeable staff. From, activities bookings and directions to itineraries and dining reservations, our friendly and professional staff is eager to assist you. Access to PORTOFINO is by boat only, and therefore we offer a complimentary meet and greet service at San Pedro Airstrip and boat transfer to the resort, an approximately 20 minutes ride. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Portofino Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Portofino Hotel San Pedro
- Portofino San Pedro
- Portofino Beach Resort Belize/San Pedro