We stayed at the Portofino Resort June 7-June 17th, 2014. Let me start by saying that the resort was BEAUTIFUL and absolutely what we wanted for our honeymoon. The cabana that we stayed in was close the water and the bar (!) which made for a great trip. We couldn't have been happier with our accomodations. The people who work there are also great. We loved everyone we met and they were very good at making sure our time was enjoyable. It was very clean and well kept. The resort was very slow when we were there and we only shared it with eight other couples which was nice. I couldn't say more about the cleanliness and ambience of the resort...spot on.
There were three main draw backs: First, by being so hidden it is very difficult to get into town. It's definitely not walkable and biking on the beach is a feat given it is about six miles out. There is a water taxi from the resort but the schedule depends of arrivals or departures and they will not pick you up or take you at requested times. If you have a trip that you want to do at a certain you need to pay for the water taxi from town to get you which is $12 per way per person. Not a cheap jaunt into town and it's definitely worth checking out the restaurants in town.
Second, the food doesn't really change much at the restaurant aside from the nightly offering. It was well worth making reservations at other resorts to have them send their water taxi for dinner. We did eat at Portofino quite a bit quite and it was delicious but after seven days we needed something different. The staff was great at giving good recommendations for where to go in town for an enjoyable night out. We loved their recommendations.
Third, it's hard to get to expeditions from this end of the island. They pick you up (most) to get you where you need to go but it is QUITE a bit of traveling. We did Lamanai and the Jungle River Tour and spent a good four or more hours travelling by boat, bus, and boat again. A recommendation would be if you want to do excursions book a few days somewhere on the mainland and THEN move to Portofino for the best relaxation you can get. I loved being on the beach and could lay there forever but my husband is an active guy and was chomping at the bit for things to do after a few days.
This was one of the best trips of my travelling life so far and I've been to quite a few places. I would definitely recommend going for a loved up peaceful vacation!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Characterized by its warm and friendly hospitality, Portofino is the epitome of barefoot luxury, unpretentious and relaxing… for most; it will be an experience of a lifetime. Our small, boutique resort offers just 17 beautifully appointed rooms, ranging from charming beach cabanas to spacious suites, dotted amidst swaying palm trees, in a private setting with unmatched personal attention and the modern comforts of home. It is a haven of tranquility, where guests will enjoy the subtle sounds of the nearby waves lapping over the reef, gentle breeze, breathtaking sunrise, star studded night sky and spectacular views of the crystal waters of the Caribbean Sea. The perfect setting for a romantic getaway, intimate wedding, honeymoon, family and friends.Portofino offers leisure options to suit every taste. Relax in our fresh water outdoor swimming pool; enjoy a great book from our book collection or simply indulge yourself in a massage on the beach under our hand thatched palapa hut. Explore the underwater world with snorkel equipment or skim along the surface in our complimentary sea kayaks. Delicious meals prepared by our resort chef can be served in the privacy or your beach cabana or suite, on our private dock with a romantic setting or at the Portofino Restaurant. Sip on amazing tropical cocktails at the Green Parrot Beach Bar or perhaps a late afternoon snack from the Green Parrot Bistro. Take advantage of our DVD library and unwind in front of the flat TV screen in your room. Or, simply take in the view. In short, relax and enjoy! Reception in the main building is manned by professional and knowledgeable staff. From, activities bookings and directions to itineraries and dining reservations, our friendly and professional staff is eager to assist you. Access to PORTOFINO is by boat only, and therefore we offer a complimentary meet and greet service at San Pedro Airstrip and boat transfer to the resort, an approximately 20 minutes ride. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Portofino Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Portofino Hotel San Pedro
- Portofino San Pedro
- Portofino Beach Resort Belize/San Pedro