“Top-notch resort for those seeking paradise and solitude”

Portofino Beach Resort
Ranked #21 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Monsey, NY
“Top-notch resort for those seeking paradise and solitude”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

I would enthusiastically recommend Portofino for those who are looking for a quiet, small resort in a great location with unbelievable service and a devoted staff that is second to none.

If you are looking for a large chain-type resort, than this may not be what you are looking for. However with 17 units it is not crowded, and since it is 6 km north of town it is far enough away from the hustle-and-bustle of San Pedro, yet close enough so that you can get there in 20 minutes using the resort's complimentary boat service that runs several times a day, or with a water taxi.

My wife and I have very different vacation styles. Her ideal vacation is sitting near the beach, relaxing, and reading a book, whereas I can't sit in one place for too long. Portofino worked out very well for us. Our beach cabana was about 100 feet from the water with a perfect view. While my wife read I was able to borrow the resort's sea kayaks and visit Mexico Rocks, which is about 15 minutes out. Along with the sea kayaks the resort lends snorkel gear and life vests. Mexico Rocks is an area of the coral reef where there is a vast array of coral, sponge, and beautiful fish of all shapes, sizes, and colors. It is magnificent. I believe that Portofino is the closest resort to Mexico Rocks and the only one that I know of (or saw) that lends sea kayaks.

The staff is unbelievably dedicated, professional and attentive and go way out of their way to ensure that everyone's needs are met. Some examples:
1. I mentioned to the bartender that it would be really nice if I could get some fresh coconut. About 5 minutes later he arrived at the lounge chairs where my wife and I were sitting with two *fresh* green coconuts with their tops sliced open and straws sticking out. These did not come from the resort refrigerator. They were as fresh as they come.
2. I met Tristian (a member of the restaurant staff) outside one afternoon, and he happened to have some native Belizean fruit that resembles a lychee (kneck?, knepp?). He offerd me and my wife. Not because he was expecting anything, but simply because he wanted to share some of the real Belize experience.
3. A couple was having an anniversary, so the resort arranged a special candle-lit private dinner for them at the end of the dock overlooking the water. From my lounge chair I watched the restaurant staff shuttle back and forth from the restaurant to the end of the dock to ensure that the couple had a special evening.
4. Upon checkout there was an item on my bill that I was not happy with although there was no question that I had agreed to pay it. I made note of it on the checkout questionnaire. Here's what really floored me: I was standing at the Tropic Air counter in San Pedro to check in for my flight, and the phone at the ticket counter rang. The agent answered and handed me the phone. It was the hotel manager calling to apologize for the misunderstanding and explaining both how she would correct the issue on my account and prevent it from happening again in the future. To me this single incident shows the lengths that the hotel staff will go to in order to ensure that their customers are happy. All I can say is, "Wow!".

Overall we were very happy with the accommodations that we had. As appears typical with beach cabanas in Belize ours was semi-detached so we shared a porch with another guest. The cabana also had a 2nd story. So altogether there were four units in the cabana building. For us this did not detract from the privacy at all.

Furnishings were casual and beach-style with a bamboo motif and coconut and conch decorations. Our cabana was clean and everything worked well, though some of the furnishings showed some signs of wear in places. No complaints at all about the bed though, which had a canopy.

Overall we had a fantastic stay here. You will not find a more caring team dedicated to making sure your needs are met anywhere in Ambergris Caye. We would most definitely come back and give it a two thumbs up.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank nochum
PortofinoBZ, Owner at Portofino Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you so much for such a great review! At Portofino, our staff is our greatest asset. We all work together as a team with one goal - to exceed guest expectations. Each and every one of our members have our guests' best interest at heart and are all willing to go the extra mile. We are so happy that you enjoyed the warmth and hospitality as well as the location and ammenities.

We look forward to welcoming you to Belize again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Danville, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We spent the last 3 days of our 10 day trip to Belize at Portofino. The resort is small and fairly remote which is a good thing! We went in to San Pedro one evening and that was enough for us - too touristy for us. Our room was nice - nothing to write home about but comfortable and the A/C worked great. We had two adults and two teenage boys - the staff brought in a separate twin bed for our boys to help us keep the peace :)

The highlight was definitely being able to use the kayaks (complimentary) and snorkel gear (complimentary) and paddle out to Mexico Rocks to snorkel. Its a bit difficult getting out there due to on shore wind but once out there it is AMAZING! Nurse sharks, eels, stingrays, great coral formations, etc.

The first day we were there, we talked to the guy who runs the dive/snorkel shop on the pier. He told us we "can't miss Hol Chan and Shark Alley" for snorkeling. We told him we might do that the next day but never committed. I then saw him later that day and told him we were going to spend out money on fishing instead of snorkeling (since we had already gone out to Mexico Rocks). Apparently he already made plans for us and told us we would have to pay even if we didn't go! I never gave him a firm yes - yet he went ahead and scheduled us. I was not happy but didn't want to risk having a charge show up on my CC bill so we ended up going. I would personally recommend just spending a few hours at Mexico Rocks via the kayaks (for free) rather than going to Hol Chan and Shark Alley (crowded and expensive). there must have been 75 people in the water when we went to both locations. But at Mexico Rocks we were almost always the only ones there. You see everything expect for the turtles at Mexico Rocks.

One word of advice - do NOT try and walk north on the beach after 5pm. We got eaten alive by sand flies and mosquitos one night! Worst experience ever.

However - DEFINITELY plan to have dinner or lunch at Mata Chica Resort which is a quick 15 minute walk south of the Portofino. If you make dinner reservations they will have a boat come pick you up (free) and bring you back to Portofino. AMAZING food at Mata Chica - not to be missed.

Overall, we really enjoyed Portofino and its proximity to Mexico Rocks for snorkeling.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ChrisMcCrary
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are glad that you enjoyed our location and the resort ammenities. We apologize for the misunderstanding with Action Divers regarding the confirmation of your snorkeling and will be looking into better methods to prevent this from occuring again. We are also very sorry to hear that the walk up the beach was less than pleasant. Unfortunately during the rainy season, there tends to be a lot of mosquitoes in those areas along that beach that are not populated. Here at the resort, you don't tend to be bothered as much due to the fact that we fog twice a day to keep them away.

We are happy that your overall experience was pleasant and we sure hope to welcome you again one day to our little piece of paradse.
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

We returned from Belize recently and I can't say enough great things about this resort and the staff. Our connecting flight from Belize City arrived early and Mo, the boat captain, happened to be nearby so we arrived earlier than expected but the staff was more than accommodating.

We stayed in a beachfront cabana with the most amazing ocean view and comfortable amenities. This resort is small so within the first two days we got acquainted with the staff and even had a few drinks with the owner one night at the bar (you'll usually find him lounging around in the lobby)

We took a snorkeling tour with Roberto who runs the tour shop at the end of the dock and had a fantastic time snorkeling with the sharks (minus the boat sickness although I'm sure I can't hold Portofino responsible for the fact that I drank too much the night before!)

The resort is quite a bit removed from the main town so if you're looking for peace and quiet then this is definitely the place for you. The fastest way to get around is via boat and the boat at Portofino generally makes two trips per day, depending on the schedules of arriving guests. If you miss the final boat you can always catch the water taxi which leaves about every hour.

The only downside to the resort was the fact that the walls were fairly thin and we could hear the couple in the room next door arguing one night (and subsequently making up the next morning) but we had a good laugh about it and carried on with our lives. In fact, it's nearly impossible to be angry when you're vacationing in paradise.

A word of advice: I would definitely recommend if you're traveling to Ambergris Caye from Belize City that you opt for the flight instead of traveling by boat. We took a tour to the Mayan ruins and traveled via boat and we definitely regreted it at the end of the long day. It took over an hour to get from Belize City to Ambergris Caye then had to catch another boat to our resort.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ArceROX
PortofinoBZ, Owner at Portofino Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. It was indeed a pleasure having you with us. We are glad that you enjoyed our secluded location, amenities and the warm hospitality of our staff. Portofino is definitely a place to relax and enjoy the amazing Caribbean views.

We hope to welcome you again one day!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Portofino is a great place to take in the beauty of Belize. It has very nice rooms, a good pool and an amazing ocean front . . . you can literally kayak to the reef in minutes. The service at the Resort is absolutely top notch. We could not complain about it if we wanted to do so. The Resort can help you plan all of the water and jungle adventures that you want. The food at the restaurant is excellent, and the bar serves really good drinks. Those booking at Portofino should be aware that it is 6 miles north of San Pedro, so it is quiet. Getting to San Pedro can be done with relative ease as long as you plan a couple of hours in advance, but you cannot get there at a moments notice. This is not a criticism as much as a statement of fact. If you stay at Portofino, you should not want immediate access to the town's activities. However, if you want a place that is set in a stunning environment with a thoughtful staff and time to relax and soak in the sun, then this is a place for you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Anthony D
PortofinoBZ, Owner at Portofino Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed the seclusion and beauty of our property. Portofino is a little piece of paradise for those wanting to relax. We do agree that It is definitely not the place for those that want to enjoy the night life and the town. It is a place to getaway and truly relax.

We are glad that you had a great time and that your enjoyed the warm hospitality of our staff as they truly are amazing.

We look forward to welcoming you again when you come back to Belize!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

And Portofino Resort is a good way to experience it.

After spending five amazing nights in the jungles of Belize at Ian Anderson's Caves Branch Jungle Lodge and Blancaneaux Lodge in April 2013, my husband and I boarded a small plane in Belize City for San Pedro on Ambergris Caye to experience the Belize Barrier Reef and the beach life of Belize. Knowing that the resort is outside of the city of San Pedro on the island, I contacted the resort before the trip to inquiry about how we needed to get from the airport to the resort. The very friendly staff asked me to provide our flight information and then very conveniently arranged to have someone at the airport to pick us up for the boat ride to the resort.

Upon arrival at the resort, the front desk staff was equally as welcoming and friendly. We were given advice on activities to experience this part of Belize and shown to our room - the Tree Top Deluxe with Beach View. As promised on the website, the view of the Caribbean Sea from the patio was stunning! I did, however, feel the room was a bit worn and dirty overall (for example, I felt compelled to wipe off the light switch plates) and was disappointed to see new cushioned wicker furniture on the neighboring patio while we had some very old, worn and uncomfortable wooden furniture on our patio. For the price of the room, I would have really thought some decent furniture should have been provided.

I was also disappointed to discover that the two activities (extra charge) that I most wanted to do were not available: Caye Caulker Day Sail and .Manatee Watch, Snorkeling & Beach BBQ. But the front desk staff was very helpful in finding alternative activities for us - such as half day of snorkeling with our own trip to Caye Caulker on the inter-island ferry (with a convenient drop-off and pick-up in San Pedro - complimentary). I discovered that although Portofino advertises these activities, they are actually coordinating the activities with various external tour operators for the resort guests. Those tour operators require a minimum number of participants or the activity is not booked. (This is not such a big issue if you have multiple days at the resort because you can just try for a different day, but we were only on the island for two nights.)

In addition to the half-day Hol Chan & Shark Ray Alley Snorkeling trip, we also did the half day Reef Fishing trip. And we took advantage of the complimentary kayaks and snorkel gear to explore Mexico Rocks - about a 30 minute paddle from the resort. And each activity was truly spectacular and amazing! We swam with a variety of tropical fish, as well as sea turtles, sting rays and a moray eel! We also caught many different reef fish with our guide, Lester - such as snapper, grouper, blue stripe, sea bass and squirrel fish. And we were able to have our catch prepared for us to enjoy by the resort's restaurant for a truly unique and delicious experience.

Although the resort is located outside of San Pedro, getting to San Pedro is very convenient. The hotel has several boat trips each day and it seems everyone in San Pedro knows how to get to back if you should miss a boat - such as hoping on the staff transport boat.

Overall, the resort is beautiful and relaxing. The staff is helpful and friendly. And we would stay at Portofino again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Amy R
PortofinoBZ, Owner at Portofino Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at Portofino! We are so happy that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. Our staff is indeed very helpful and we are lucky to have them!

We are very that you were unable to take advantage of the activities you planned on doing. Unfortunately, all tours, with the exception of Fishing (as this is normally done as a charter) runs based on minimum numbers. The reason for this is to at least break even with costs due to the high costs associated with fuel here in Belize. We also apologize if we implied in some way that the resort operates these activities. The fact is, 99% of resorts out here contract independent tour operators for all these activities. This is the way it is set up on the island, as most businesses are small businesses and we all work together as a team in general.

We are glad that you were indeed able to at least take part of a few other activities. You are right in saying the 2 days is not enough to get all these activities done. We normally recommend at least staying for 5 days.

We also apologize for not having the same furniture in your room as the neighbors. What really happened there, is that we have been renovating all of our rooms and the furniture you saw had just been put there. Our carpenter is actually working on the rest of the furntire so all our rooms will have these soon.

We are happy that you did have a great experience overall and we would absolutely love to welcome you again!!
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Portofino stood out in how the staff corresponded with me to book, to meeting us at the pier, greeted us with drinks and then when we were shown our beautiful rooms (upper mansion), hand made, beautifully scented soap we got to select our favorite scent. Our days at the pool were met with fun guests, and their Dive shop was great for family tours that accommodate divers and snorklers.

Beautiful casitas , only 17 rooms make this resort have an authentic feel with the luxuries. The restaurant is excellent for dinner and breakfast. Staff is the real difference, learning our kids names and making sure they were having a good time. Highly recommend!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Travelabundance_77
Thank you so much for your review. We are happy that you enjoyed the personal attention from our staff as we as our resort.

We look forward to welcoming your family again!
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

What can I say that hasn’t been said? Portofino was perfect. Great atmosphere, nice pool, and a great location that is far enough away to truly be relaxing but close enough to go out and have some fun. What more could you want? The staff are amazing...every last one of them. They all remember your name and make you feel so welcome. The grounds are beautiful and peaceful, and our room was perfect. We stayed in a Colonial Suite and it was huge and well appointed. Staying at Portofino feels like staying with friends – because it’s so small, and because the staff is so friendly (just like everyone in Belize!), you get to know everyone (staff and other guests) by the end of the week. I will absolutely be going back to Belize, and will definitely stay at Portofino again.

Some tips –

The restaurant is good, but it’s expensive for dinner. Very good and reasonably priced breakfast and lunch though. It wasn’t a problem for us because it forced us to go in to town and walk down the beach to try other places, which is where the beauty of Belize truly is…its people and community vibe. Make sure to go to Jambel’s Jerk Pit (about a 10 min walk down the beach) – it is hands down the best meal I had while in Belize. We also walked down to Azul (about a 30 min walk down the beach) which was super fun but really far – take the water taxi back if you walk down there at night. We ate in town a few times too, only place that was memorable was Elvi’s Kitchen – really great food.

The bugs are crazy so bring bug spray with lots of deet. Even though the resort sprays around the grounds, the bugs are still crazy.

Pretty much anywhere you want to go you have to take a boat, so think about that when planning/budgeting for your trip. The free resort boat goes in to town a few times a day but you will definitely spend some time on the water taxi. We generally caught the free boat one way and took a water taxi the other way ($11 from town). It’s not a problem at all, and travelling by boat or water taxi is part of the charm of staying at Portofino, but just thought I’d note it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank aryder
Thank you so much for your review. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Our location is indeed part of the charm of staying with us. It is perfect for those that like to really escape from it all but still be in the reach of town.

Staying with is indeed a unique experience as our staff makes every effort to ensure that our guests are taken care of and that they feel right at home.

We certaily look forward to welcoming you again when you come back to Belize!!