It is with great pleasure that I write this review. Over the last 6 months I’ve read both positive and negative reviews of the Portofino Beach Resort. My husband and I had a clear idea and purpose of what we wanted for our vacation and the setting we were looking for. The good thing about reading reviews is that it leads to clarification of questions and or concerns you may have about your goals for a vacation. The Portofino Beach Resort is pristine in beauty, and impeccably maintained. The resort has a little more that a 30 person capacity for guest, leaving the overall setting uniquely personal. Each accommodation is individualized, making your living environment comfortable, conductive to resting and privacy with daily meticulous housekeepers. The restaurant at the resort was exceptional as well as accommodating. We greatly enjoyed all our meals and the staff that provided the service. All along the windward side of Ambergris Caye is a beautiful narrow walkable beach, but the water is very shallow due the Belize Barrier Reef that runs parallel to the coast line so that at different points it my not be swimmable. Walking the beach, wading in the water along the way, stopping at a beach side bar and or restaurant and meeting people along the was is fabulous. Portofino uses a salt / fresh water processing system for showering and hand washing with each room supplied with a fresh water tank for drinking. Though the shower water may have been a little salty, and being boaters, we didn’t have any trouble with our shampoos, shaving products and or just general hygiene use. The resort management coordinated our trips and we had the most exciting successful two days of deep sea and reef fishing with a private boat from Freedom Tours with “Hilly Boo” as our captain. He also personalized our trip to Shark and Ray Alley and the Hol Chan Canyons Marine Reserve to snorkel as well as visiting the island of Caye Caulker. But most importantly, above and beyond the beauty and uniqueness of the setting, the staff at the resort from the person who rakes the grounds every day to the top management could not have been more personable, accommodating and enjoyable to be with as we shared our time together at the resort. Our deepest appreciation to Helda, Rosalie, Maria, Chris, Moe, Julie, Rafael, Orvil, Beverly, and to our host Mr. and Mrs. Van Noord for their vision in creating such a personal setting. This was an experience of a life time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Characterized by its warm and friendly hospitality, Portofino is the epitome of barefoot luxury, unpretentious and relaxing… for most; it will be an experience of a lifetime. Our small, boutique resort offers just 17 beautifully appointed rooms, ranging from charming beach cabanas to spacious suites, dotted amidst swaying palm trees, in a private setting with unmatched personal attention and the modern comforts of home. It is a haven of tranquility, where guests will enjoy the subtle sounds of the nearby waves lapping over the reef, gentle breeze, breathtaking sunrise, star studded night sky and spectacular views of the crystal waters of the Caribbean Sea. The perfect setting for a romantic getaway, intimate wedding, honeymoon, family and friends.Portofino offers leisure options to suit every taste. Relax in our fresh water outdoor swimming pool; enjoy a great book from our book collection or simply indulge yourself in a massage on the beach under our hand thatched palapa hut. Explore the underwater world with snorkel equipment or skim along the surface in our complimentary sea kayaks. Delicious meals prepared by our resort chef can be served in the privacy or your beach cabana or suite, on our private dock with a romantic setting or at the Portofino Restaurant. Sip on amazing tropical cocktails at the Green Parrot Beach Bar or perhaps a late afternoon snack from the Green Parrot Bistro. Take advantage of our DVD library and unwind in front of the flat TV screen in your room. Or, simply take in the view. In short, relax and enjoy! Reception in the main building is manned by professional and knowledgeable staff. From, activities bookings and directions to itineraries and dining reservations, our friendly and professional staff is eager to assist you. Access to PORTOFINO is by boat only, and therefore we offer a complimentary meet and greet service at San Pedro Airstrip and boat transfer to the resort, an approximately 20 minutes ride. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Portofino Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Portofino Hotel San Pedro
- Portofino San Pedro
- Portofino Beach Resort Belize/San Pedro