“Vacation of a Lifetime”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hol Chan Reef Villas
Ranked #29 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“Vacation of a Lifetime”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

What a wonderful place to vacation. Sue and Joel were great! When I didn't know what scuba dive I wanted to take, Sue did and she booked the greatest dives I have every done. The visiblity was unbeliveable and the marine life was incredible. The dive master was great. But best of all when we returned from our great adventures we always felt like it was home. Something for everyone at Hol Chan Reef Resort & Villas be sure to pack your adventure hat. We had a wonderful 10 days there.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I recently visited Hol Chan Reef Resort with my brother coming from San Diego. Living beach-side already I wasn't sure what to expect, but pulling up I was blown away!! Coming from a "concrete jungle" I was amazed by all of the lush greenery and wildlife. It was fantastic being able to have the privacy the south side of the island gives you, while also only being a couple minutes from town. The units were brand new with spectacular ocean views! There is an infinity pool which is extremely close by (great for my early morning swims), as well their own private beach. You are also able to go up to the top floor of the condos which give full 360" views of the ocean and lagoon on the other side. Another thing I was so fond of was the kindness and respect given to me by the Property Managers Sue and Joel. They were both so helpful providing me with advice on what types of tours, activities, etc I should take. They also provided sea kayaks, snorkel equipment and stand-up paddle boards to take around the waters near the resort. From their recommendation's I was able to have a truly unforgettable trip!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Larkspur, Colorado
Reviewed January 9, 2014

My friend Kevin and I stayed at the Hol Chan Reef Resort for 10 glorious days and just returned. Can't quit thinking about what a great time we had! Sue and Joel, the property managers, could not have been more accomodating. The beach BBQ, snorkeling, biking, sailing, kayaking, paddle boarding, chilling, and atmosphere was exactly what we were looking for. Sue and Joel only enhanced our trip with their attitude, scheduling excursions for us, and even providing extra tequila when we ran out! They were incredible hosts! I would highly recommend Hol Chan Reef Resort. We will definitely be coming back to Hol Chan. What a trip!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We just got home from a two week stay at Hol Chan Reef Villas. This place is not a hotel. Instead, it is like living in your own very comfortable and luxurious private residence on the beach (although for too short a time). We knew we had made the right accommodation decision when we walked in the front door of our vacation home and could see the spectacular view. The view got even better as we walked through the gourmet kitchen and dining/living room and onto the huge second floor private deck with comfy patio furniture. The colors of the water ranged from turquoise blue to deep midnight blue to frothy white where the waves broke on the reef.

Hol Chan Reef Villas is a brand new building in an existing resort that is under new management. The building is still unfinished on the outside, however inside the spacious apartment the furniture, finishing and materials were impeccable. We enjoyed having 2400 square feet and three bedrooms and three bathrooms. Joel and Sue, the new management, are warm and gracious hosts who went out of their way to make us feel welcome and helped us arrange adventures (a fishing/snorkeling trip with a beach BBQ to cook up our catch for lunch, a zip lining adventure and a trip to a Mayan ruin). The tour company picked us up right at the resort dock, we could not ask for more convenience. Dive companies will also pick up from the dock for trips to numerous dive sites. Joel and Sue also had paddle boards, kayaks and bicycles for us to use everyday from the beach. I hate being nickle and dimed while on vacation so it was a great surprise to discover that unlike many resorts there was not an extra fee for these toys, or the WIFI either.

You do not come to Belize for the beaches; the second longest barrier reef in the world, which is just offshore, makes for world class fishing, snorkeling and diving but not great beaches. But, the beach area at Hol Chan is one of the best that we have seen on Ambergris Caye and was very well maintained (it was raked by 6:30am every morning). Like most of the island, there is sea grass near the shore to support the ecosystem so we swam off of the dock and enjoyed the warm shallow water. We stayed in a very highly rated resort in town last year, without our kids, but would not have felt as comfortable letting our children play there in the high walking and bicycle traffic zone. At Hol Chan our kids enjoyed running and playing on the dock, in the pool, in the sea, and in the sand while we watched from a lounge chair under a palapa. We could not have given them this much freedom in town.

As Hol Chan Reef Villas are 3.5 miles south of town, we rented a golf cart for our stay so that we could go to town or to the local restaurants. About a mile away are two great restaurants and small market where we purchased all the supplies we needed. We enjoyed breakfast and evening cocktails on our patio watching the waves. Although we enjoyed walking to restaurants and shops in town when we stayed there previously, we really enjoyed the quiet on the south side of the island and the very private beach area.

If you want a quiet relaxing family vacation away from the noisy bars and hustle and bustle in town, and don't want to sacrifice on the space and amenities, this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank 4WanderingNomads
Lake Oswego, Oregon
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We spent 10 days at the Hol Chan Reef Resorts. Our first trip to Ambergris Caye, but it won't be our last! The people were very friendly, the food was delish, the snorkeling and water was the best!

10 steps out of our condo and I was in the pool...oh there's a bar at poolside so you don't even need to get out to refresh your margarita! They provided us with a list of spots to hit, places to dine and excursions to take. My only problem was getting my husband out of the condo...he loved staying at the condo and taking in the wonderful views.

We were actually there during the time that the rentals were removed from VRBO, because of the construction going on with the newer addition. Still with all that, it just wasn't bad. I could lay out on the beach and read, or go out on the dock and couldn't hear a thing. The crew cleaned up so the lanai's were kept clean and the pool was enjoyable.

NOW the BEST part of EVERYTHING...is Joel and Sue! You won't meet any finer people. FUN is # ONE on their lists! They will get the job done and have fun doing it. They always leave me laughing ...the best wit, the best fun on the island!

Even if you have another place in mind to stay...call Sue and Joel to book your excursions. They are connected to the best people with the best prices.

HAVE FUN! You will love everything!
Puddles Bailey

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sharla B
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I have stayed at this resort three years running (2011 – 2013 for 7-10 days stays in December). It has been an ever improving experience and it started at exceptional, I am not sure how far beyond exceptional one can go but this is one resort I believe will do so. I have witnessed the transition of the resort from its early development to its current state and it continues to grow in its potential. I will continue to return. The resort was recently placed under new management. Joel and Sue are really there to make your experience the best you can have. They went out of their way to take care of us from the time we landed in San Pedro by having a golf cart ready for us to when we left by having a taxi help with all of our luggage back to the airport. Their support and assistance makes a great deal of difference and I can say it makes this resort stand out. If you are looking for a quiet restful location or perhaps a party, everything is at the resort or within a short golf cart ride or a boat pick-up from the dock. Just ask Joe or Sue to book it for you; done. What is available: the best of food at the local restaurants, or get out for a day excursion on the water and fish for your dinner (small or big), spear fish for lobster, dive for conch and make conch salsa. If you want to have a bit of a cruise on the water, rent (with friends) a catamaran for the day, we did every trip so far. We set up a day on the mainland where we jungle zip-lined, and cave tubed, what a great day. I recommend the full day cave tubing adventure. Although I have it on the list of things to do, I have not visited any Mayan sites or the Zoo, yet, maybe next year. If you wish more thrills try flying over the blue hole or scuba dive in it. This entire set of activities can be accomplished with pick-up from your dock. There is actually so much more to speak about snorkelling, the barrier reef, but … get out there and experience it for yourself…I will be back! Perhaps I will see you there.

Room Tip: Rooms on the East side are best. I was on the 4th floor - dream like ocean view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TravelingPanther
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I have stayed at Hol Chan Reef Resorts & Villas twice now and this place is truly amazing. The first time was December 2012 and it was clean, safe and the views were absolutely breath taking. Walking into the place was very clean and tidy and spacious. It is about a 15-20 minutes out of town which is nice and private place to be. I also found it close enough to San Pedro that it was easy to get to for the night life and for general town / tourist things to do. With that said, all the tours and scuba diving that I went on, we were picked up at our dock. There is a retaining wall in front that keeps the beach clean.

The second time at Hol Chan Reed Resorts & Villas was December 2013 and again, another incredible experience. The resort is under new management (Joel and Sue) and they really treated us well. They took care of us from the time we landed in San Pedro by having a golf cart ready for us to when we left by having a taxi help with all of our luggage back to the airport. A true 5 star performance.

This place has it all from quiet relaxation on the beach or their private pool, to kayaking on one of the resorts sea kayaks, to day excursions (being picked up at our resort), this place has it all. Joel and Sue are very knowledgeable in the various trips to take and was happy to book on our behalf.

We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Stayed on the third floor both times. The views were spectacular.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends