“Very disappointing”

Hol Chan Reef Villas
Ranked #28 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed at Hol Chan in March 2012. I did not review earlier because my stay was so disappointing but since I frequently rely on travelers' postings when I am looking for vacation rentals, I feel I should start submitting my own reviews to help others.

Let me start from the beginning with our stay. The first unit we stayed in (ground floor, south side) had a washing machine that did not work. Since this was midway in our trip, I was really relying on a working washing machine - especially since that was what was advertised. It soon came to our attention that a part had been ordered for months, so I feel we should have been told of this fact before our stay. Other than that the unit was new and nicely furnished, although the back bedrooms did not have window coverings and we had to stuff a pillow in the window to blackout the outdoor light that shined through. The prop mgr did allow us to use the laundry facilities next door since that unit was vacant and I appreciated that. The real problems started when I woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and found "water" all over the floor. From what we could determine, there was a leak coming from one or more of the units above and leaking through the wall. This was not a "clean" water leak, nor was it a new leak based on the damage to the area which we observed. Long story short, we moved the next day to the unit next door (also ground level, however, this unit had no view whatsoever). The pool cabana was right in front of the unit. This was very disappointing to say the least. On top of the lack of view, the kitchen was not well stocked with essentials, and there were no window coverings in the back bedrooms. As a matter of fact, there were workman outside the windows on scaffolding every morning when we woke up. That was very bizarre to say the least!

I hope the plumbing, window covering and washing machine issues have been corrected by this time. It is my understanding that all units are individually owned. If you are staying in a unit above the ground floor, you will probably be fine. However, beware of the ground floor units. The one on the north looks out to the cabana where people BBQ and hang out, and the one to the south steps out to the pool area where again, the privacy is lacking, not to mention the water coming through the wall.

Overall, I felt cheated for what I received and would not rent from the owner I dealt with ever again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank EPeters0n
MMRentals, Manager at Hol Chan Reef Villas, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Firstly I am shocked that it has taken one and a half years to write a review. In regard to the washing machine it has been repaired and as you state you were given an alternative machine to use. Regarding the water leak, the building was brand new, the leak in the wall went undetected until is leaked through, this was repaired immediately and you were given another unit. The building is in excellent repair and the maintenance crew keep it that way.The management team went out of there way to assist you and make your stay enjoyable
and your complaints were dealt with immediately, we are sorry you felt it necessary to write a bad review after so long it is amazing you can remember that far back and harbor bad feelings , life is too short to hang onto the past.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

This was our second trip to Belize and we may be planning a third! San Pedro is amazing for families and couples, with plenty of day trip options through Suyan Tours, wonderful places to dine, and friendly people. You easily feel safe and at home here. This condo was the icing on the cake. The perfect size for four adults and one child to have their own space. It was very clean and stalked with the everything we needed, including a washer and dryer. I enjoyed having the option to lay out by the pool or on the white sand, or on the dock. The beach chairs were so comfortable! The location of this condo is perfect, a little removed from the hustle and bustle for a quiet relaxing feel, but close enough to hop in a golf cart and experience the town. I would reccommend this rental VERY highly.

Room Tip: Hol Chan is visable from rooms that overlook the water, breath taking!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank EHK8474
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We spent a week at hol chan the first week of jan 2013 and loved it! It is first class all the way from the beautiful furnishings to the roof top deck. The staff was also very friendly and helpful. Getting around on gold carts was fun and we always felt safe. We cave tubed , snorkled and fished through suyatours and they were wonderful! Traveling with grown children can be tricky but there was so much space in and outside the condo we could have fun together or have space if we needed it. The condo was clean and housekeeping came in 3 times and even wasted our towels for us. Alo have our own laundry in the unit was so helpful. We could pack less and still have clean clothes. We will go back!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Janet H
Reviewed July 15, 2012

As far as condos go, this one is great! Kitchen appliances are updated and everything is stocked and ready to accommodate. 6 ladies stayed here and there was plenty of room and it was cozy! Beds were great and the views were superb. The reasons I didn't give it 5 stars:
1. The beach is not actually a beach so don't expect toes wiggling in any sand. It's oceanfront, but you don't really want to swim with a bunch of seaweed rubbing your belly so we hung out on the dock to catch days and jumped in the pool to cool off.

2. Air conditioner and wifi was not as consistent as we would have liked. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, but it did work the majority of the time.

Overall a really great stay and it's a beautiful place!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends