“Loved our stay at the Blue Tang!”
Review of Blue Tang Inn

Blue Tang Inn
Ranked #1 of 21 San Pedro B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Loved our stay at the Blue Tang!”
Reviewed January 2, 2010

I could not say better things about our 4 day stay here between Xmas & New Year. The rooms are large (we stayed in #9), spotless, excellent A/C, hot shower w/ good water pressure, and fresh towels provided every day. There's a good kitchen area in each room, in case you ever feel like cooking or eating in, or just stocking the refrig. w/ Belikins for drinking on your balcony! We had large amounts of laundry that they did on our first day (we were in Miami & Belize jungle for the 5 days prior to staying here and went thru multiple changes of clothes/day)...they returned our clean clothes to us 3 hrs later and the price was $7.50 USD, which I thought was cheap! There are 2 supermarkets (one has an ATM) within 2 min. walking distance of the hotel. The grounds are spotless, and there is a great rooftop deck w/ plenty of seating and great views of the ocean & town. The location of the hotel is also perfect - on the quieter north side of town, right on the beach, and a short walk to everything. We felt safe walking on the streets/beach around the hotel late at night. Security from the various hotels patrol the beach area, and the San Pedro police dept is 2 blocks from the hotel.

For activities, everything can be arranged by the hotel. We did the Holchan/Shark Ray Alley snorkel one day and the manatee viewing/beach BBQ (incredible food provided!)/Caye Caulker snorkel/shopping in Caye Caulker. Another day, we just rented a golf cart from the hotel for 1/2 day and puttered around the town to browse galleries/stores, eat lunch at Caroline's Fine Dining (our best meal in San Pedro!). There's also an art gallery owned by a California transplant one or two doors down from Caroline's that has a good selection & very reasonable prices. The town is very small - you can walk from one end to another in 10-15 min, but there are a ton of stores/restaurants in that small area.

After the day's adventures, we'd retreat back to the hotel & drink Belikins & listen to the ocean/enjoy the breeze on our big, personal balcony with an ocean view. A couple of nights, Lunar, the hotel cat, joined me on our balcony. He'd curl up on my lap for hours while I read my book. I'm normally not a cat person, but this is one awesome cat!

Restaurants where we ate during our stay here, besides Caroline's, were Jambel Jerk Pit (great), Celi's Deli (great breakfast), Caramba (my husband enjoyed his meal, but I thought was just OK), My Secret Deli (cheap local place w/ wonderful food!), Waguruma (HUGE portions, w/ big-as-your-head burritos!), as well as some food stands on Front Street for cheap & delicious eats. Fido's has a good bar scene and a great jewelry shop & art gallery on the premises. If you visit San Pedro, don't forget to order a drink called the Panty Ripper, as well as rum punch! Then of course, there's Belikin, which is always in abundance!

Included in the price of the rooms are continental breakfast and pick-up/drop-off from the San Pedro airport. Ruben was our driver - what a sweetheart! The staff here is excellent - all of them, from front desk, to housekeeping, to groundskeepers, to security. Special thanks to Allen for booking our activities, recommending restaurants and for making everything go smoothly, and to Kristen, who was awesome with making our hotel reservations and patiently answering the many questions I had. The staff at Blue Tang were truly the friendliest people who made our stay extra-special.

At the end of our trip, I actually got choked-up b/c I'd miss the people and the place. I'd absolutely recommend the Blue Tang Inn to anyone and I know we'll be returning here soon! We would not stay anywhere else!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TX_Longhorn99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
California
Reviewed January 1, 2010

MY mother, sister, family friend and I initially planned to stay at the Blue Tang for 2 days, as we'd rented a house on Caye Caulker. We found Fannie, Allan, Don Pablo, Victor, and all of the ladies to be kind and extremely helpful. After reluctantly checking out and heading to Caye Caulker, my travel mates were mortified that Caye Caulker has geckos (geez!!) on the island, in the house, and therefore demanded that I call Blue Tang and inquire about any vacancies. Allan and Fannie found a room on the first floor for us, and we truly felt as if we'd returned home!! Blue Tang is on the North end of the island, without much of the noise that comes with the speeding vans, and golf carts of San Pedro. If you rent a golf cart, request the gas powered, as the electric is too slow, and the locals are terrible tailgates. :)

I will be returning to Blue Tang and Ambergris Caye!!
Crystal James and family
Long Beach/Santa Maria/San Jose, California

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank CJsurvivor
Seattle
Reviewed December 12, 2009

Because I wouldn't want you to ruin my vacation! If you are looking for friendly people, a small boutique hotel experiance at an affordable rate then sign up quick. I loved the Bule Tang Inn from the time I made my reservations. Kristen here in the states told me all about the hotel and navigated me through their website so I could actually see pictures of the room we were staying in. When we arrived to San Pedro, the taxi was waiting at the airport despite the delay in our flight and delivered us safely to the Blue Tang. San Pedro Town is quite small and you can walk to almost anything from the hotel.The local grocery store is less than 100 yards away and you can get anything you need there, we liked Ricky's the best and his sister Durita is so friendly. It is, however quite fun to rent the golf cart and explore the island a little, but it is not necessary to have one for your whole trip. Just walk down the beach and everything you need is very close. The Blue Tang is not right in the middle of everything so it tends to be a little quieter, except for when Wet Willy's is rockin at the end of the dock! We did not find that it was too loud anywhere, but we were also there during low season. We really liked the staff! Fanny and Allen will help you with anything you need or want, Pablo & David do a great snorkeling trip on their sail boat (I highly recommend this day trip!) Pablo is always there to lend a hand and give a little history lesson about belize. The patio is a great place to relax and the pool is sparkling clean! The rooms were clean and comfortable and the housekeepers even did our dishes for us. They had a light continental breakfast every morining, Toast, some kind of fruit, pancakes or fryjacks and juice and coffee was great! If you are hungry for something more than that you can stroll down the beach to visit the Worthington family at Estel's. The breakfast there is great and is served until they close at 4:00pm. Overall this Hotel/Bed & Breakfast was a great bargin and a wonderful place to stay. There are only 15 rooms which make it quaint and friendly, so if you want to you can get to know your neighbors. Like I said, if you are looking for a five star all inclusive resort with 100's of people and things to do every minute this is not for you.

2 Thank ToniLovestoTravel
New Ipswich, New Hampshire
Reviewed November 22, 2009

This was our first trip to Belize and it was everything we wanted. They set the arrangements for the flight from Belize to San Pedro and were to pick us up. When we arrived over an hour early, a taxi driver brought us to the Blue Tang which they paid for and apologized that they were not there to get us, even though it was not their fault we were there early. We were there before check-in, but allowed in. The room was ready and the groceries we purchased ahead of time were already stocked. (FYI, meat delivered if frozen so do not plan on eating it the night you arrive like I did)

We chose Blue Tang Inn when we were not able to use our time share as we had intended. We were renewing our vows and needed a location that would allow us to do that even though we were not going to have guests with us. We had a simple ceremony, but I feel that if we had a small wedding there, it would have run smooth.

The staff at Blue Tang were wonderful. On the day we renewed our vows, it rained out and they decorated the location of the renewal at the last minute as I wanted it on the beach if case it stopped raining. They took photos which they emailed me, and were a part of the ceremony. When the photographer was late, they called him then let me know instead of letting me deal with the situation and getting upset. I only wish we still could have sailed on their sailboat for the sunset cruise for 2 as we intended. They decorated the room with flower petals on the floor and a heart shape on the bed while we were having the photos done, and delivered champagne in an ice bucket so when we were done and went in the room it was such a nice surprise.

They offered suggestions to dine and answered many many many questions my husband asked the staff about their culture, what they do, how they do it, what they eat, how they cook etc. They were always pleasant and never seemed to be disturbed when he asked them his many questions.

The place was clean and sand free at all times which is a little hard to do when you are right on the beach.

Even though there is no restaurant, Kristin in the US office offered dinner to be brought in from a restaurant to have on the roof top or under the papala. The continental breakfast had coffee, juice, fresh fruit, cereal/toast, and a hot dish each day. It was nice to not have to worry about breakfast.

Bonus that is not included on the web-site but you should know ahead of time
- They had beach towels for you to use and if necessary, a radio to have in your room.
- a lending library in the front office
- kitchen had necessary stuff, but also included coffee filters, dish towels (daily) and liquid soap which we brought from home and did not need
- general information of the hotel (hours, security gard name contact info, etc) and what is offered by the hotel and nformation on San Pedro is in each room
- large bathroom (at least in our room)
- gas grill onsite ( I knew this as I asked ahead of time)
- outdoor shower by the pool
- there is no phone in the room, but there is a phone in the office where the office takes messages and delivers them (helpful for the wedding stuff and excurisions) or a pay phone if you want to avoid cell phone charges
- fresh 5-gallon water bottles to fill your portable water bottles, so you do not need to purchase gallons of water if you are concerned of the water

1 Thank NewEnglandGal-102089
Houston, TX
Reviewed November 9, 2009

This hotel is so great, the staff, Fannie, Allan, and Pablo are so helpful and informative. My friends and me really enjoyed our first trip to Belize, will definitely go back again to this hotel. There are so many restaurants that you can walk around the beach area like Wild Mango, Bluewater, and Caliente really have great foods. Also you can rent the golf cart to drive around and site see. I wouldn't stay on the bottom floor, the third floor would be the best, we stayed on the second floor and it was okay.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Ohio
Reviewed October 25, 2009

We had a wonderful week at The Blue Tang Inn. The location is perfect, the hotel looks as good as ever. The staff, Fanny, Alan, the outstanding ladies who feed us in the morning and clean our rooms every day(the rooms are SOOOOOOOO clean) and the boys, Eric, Roberto and Captain Pablo, is one of the best on the island. I'm not kidding!!
AND, one of the things I like alot, the security guard Tino, we've never had a problem, but makes us feel VERY secure!!!
It is a very nice place to stay. We will be going back!!
And, when you go, try to book a sunset cruise on the Sirena Azul, A beautiful sailboat, and an extremely beautiful sunset cruise, not to be missed!! Good rum punch also!!! And beers served by David. An awesome evening!

Orange County, California
Reviewed October 17, 2009

I recently returned from a wonderful week of diving in Ambergris Caye and wanted to provide some feedback for all of you. I have used TripAdvisor several times to plan trips so I want to return the favor. I am going to include information on where I stayed, how I booked the trip, the dive operation, the diving, the accommodations, the town, and general travel information.

After reading several reviews on Scubaboard, TripAdvisor, and Ambergriscaye.com, I decided to dive with Chuck & Robbie’s (Chuck & Robbie's - Ambergris Caye Scuba Diving & Instruction) and stay at the Blue Tang Inn (all inclusive Belize resort vacation – Blue Tang Inn San Pedro). I normally prefer to stay at dive resorts that have lodging, diving, and dining all in one place. In lieu of that, I opted for a dive operation that was close to decent accommodations and restaurants. The Chuck & Robbie’s/Blue Tang Inn fit the bill.

The Blue Tang is a nice, clean place just north of the main town. The rooms are air conditioned and include an electronic safe that is big enough to hold a small (not large) laptop as well as your valuables. They also have free wireless internet and also give you a continental breakfast each morning that includes one hot item (such as waffles) as well as cereal, coffee, and juice. It is really nice to not have to cook breakfast before diving. The inn provides beach towels (which saves space in your luggage) and the staff are really friendly and accommodating. The rooms also have a kitchenette with stove, refrigerator, microwave and cookware. Overall I would say the room was very nice and met all my needs. The room was comfortable and clean and had all the essentials.

The hotel is right on the beach. There is a good swimming area in front of the hotel. There is some turtle grass in the water but if you walk out onto the dock on the right side and enter the water through the steps you will find a sandy bottom. The water was so warm I could have stayed there for hours. I also recommend going up to the rooftop deck. There are lounge chairs up there and there is a beautiful view. And, being a geek sometimes, it was nice to have power for my laptop computer. There is also a small swimming pool that is nice for relaxing and it is open 24 hours. Also, I was pleased to see a security guard on the grounds at night.

The Blue Tang is also one block away from a small grocery store and only a few minutes more from a larger grocery store. The grocery stores have lots of US packaged goods as well as Latin American brands. There is a reasonable selection of meat, but it is all frozen. The Blue Tang Inn is just north of town and you can walk all of San Pedro really easily. A lot of restaurants are more expensive than you would think but there are also food kiosks and small diner type of restaurants all over the place including the central park. You can get hamburgers, shrimp burgers, carne asada, and tacos in lots of places for just a few dollars. US money is accepted everywhere at a 2:1 exchange rate. Bring lots of $1 and $5 bills. There are a few banks in town but I heard not all ATMs accept foreign cards. I do not know. I didn’t use my ATM card in Belize. I suggest you dedicate a credit card for any transactions you make abroad so you can cancel it if your number is “misappropriated.” I paid cash for most everything.

Since this was my first trip to Belize, I opted to book the diving through Blue Tang so that everything would be charged to my room (as it would be with a dive resort, see above). I had asked Blue Tang to book six days of diving. When I checked in, I found out that they had not done this. They apologized and offered to give me a daily paper voucher which I would take to Chuck & Robbie’s which they would use to put the charge on my room. This turned out to be really good because I could decide to dive one day at a time. I found out later I could have booked the diving directly with Chuck & Robbie at a slightly lower rate, but I liked the convenience of having everything charged to my room.

Chuck & Robbie’s schedules two morning dives. The first is at 9 am. The second is at 11am. On your first day you show up a half hour before you dive (8:30am in my case) to fill out paperwork. Chuck & Robbie’s is literally a two minute walk from Blue Tang. You need to bring your C-Card. On subsequent days you show up 15 minutes before the dive. They have gear available to rent but I brought my own. They have two boats, one which holds about 12 and one which holds six to eight. On one day there was a large group but the boat did not feel crowded. Other days there were just two of us. The shop sets up all the gear for you. You don’t have to do anything. There was a single bucket on board for masks and cameras.

The reef is very close to the shore. The dive sites we went to were no more than five minutes away. Each dive was preceded by a briefing describing the overall dive site, the max depth, and when people should move towards a safety stop (I believe 750 psi but am not certain). The first dive was usually at a depth of 80-90 feet while the second was at 60-70 feet. The diving in Ambergris Caye is mostly “spur & groove” with lots of canyons. We saw lots of the standard Caribbean fish as well as moray eels, squid, rays, and several nurse sharks. The water was 86 degrees Fahrenheit. Dive times were approximately 50 minutes. After we surfaced, the boat captains helped us with our gear and we headed back to the shore for our surface interval. When we arrived, a guy on a bicycle would come by with chicken tamales. They were great…but watch for bones. We then headed out for the second dive. We were usually back the shop by 12:30pm. Chuck & Robbie’s stored my dive gear over night. The only things I took back to my room were my wet suit and booties (to dry out) and my dive computer.

The divemasters were great. Most of my dives were led by Enrique with some led by Robbie. Chuck came out with us on one dive as well. There were also some US expats that now live in Belize who dove with us, Terry & Michelle. Also, Chuck actually runs a restaurant named Wild Mangos that has great food. I ate there once before it closed for a few weeks. I really liked Chuck and Robbie’s. I would definitely dive with them again. Their personalities are great. The location is great. It was a lot of fun for my first Belize diving trip. As far as tipping, you can do it at the end or daily. Robbie will divide it up if you want.

As far as air travel, Blue Tang made my reservations on Tropic Air between Belize City and San Pedro and charged the tickets to my room. Once you arrive in Belize City from the US, you clear immigration, pick up your bags and recheck them with Tropic Air. Baggage claim in Belize is pretty fast. Tropic Air uses these small prop planes that hold maybe 14 people. One passenger sits in the copilot seat. They do allow 70 pounds per passenger (check the web site to be sure). The flight from Belize City to San Pedro is about 20 minutes. Blue Tang arranged a taxi to pick me up and take me back to the San Pedro Airport.

Regarding restaurants, there are several good ones. I ate at the Jambal Jerk Pit, the Hungry Monkey, Island Secret, DandE’s Custard, Mannely’s Ice Cream, Jane’s Deli, Island Secret, Waruguma (not sure I spelled that right), the Hummingbird Cafe and several food kiosks. If I had to do it again, I might cook dinner for myself a few times. For those of you with lactose intolerance, I did find soymilk and rice milk in the grocery stores.

I also recommend visiting Caye Caulker for an afternoon. I took the water taxi over and back (US$12.50 round trip). Caye Caulker is more of a “back packer” island but there are some higher end accommodations as well. For me, as a solo traveler, Ambergris Caye was a much better place.

You can also do several land tours. I did not do any because it was really hot out and I would rather be in the water. If you do a land tour, it’s important to note that during slow season that not all tours run each day. So, if you want to do a tour and it is being offered, I suggest you do it because it might not be offered the next day. That’s another advantage of using the daily voucher system rather than buying a prepaid package.

All in all, I liked Ambergris Caye. I liked the Blue Tang Inn. I also really liked diving with Chuck & Robbie’s.

I will definitely return some day.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo