“Great Location!”
Review of Blue Tang Inn

Blue Tang Inn
Ranked #1 of 21 San Pedro B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 15, 2008

After web-searching through the dozens of hotels in and around San Pedro, we are SO happy we selected Blue Tang! Friendly, helpful staff, close to everything in town (2 to 10 minute walk), quaint waterfront location, fabulous view from our porch (#15) or the deck above. Tours pick you up right from the dock, plenty of places to eat out and grocery store 3 minutes walk. Very friendly community!!! Glad we stayed close in town, but rented a golf cart to go looking around north of cut and south of town.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 15, 2008

I visited San Pedro with some friends of mine this past summer and it was an amazing experience. We were looking for a place to experience the Caribbean and relax for a little over a week. The Blue Tang Inn was a perfect fit. The rooms were comfortable, clean and included everything you would need for an extended stay. We spent a good chunk of time hanging out at the hotel - the pool area, rooftop decks, hammocks, etc. and it was great.

The hotel is also in an amazing location. It's right on the beach, there's a dive shop and bar/restaurant on the pier right out front, it's on the edge of town so it's not too loud or busy, but everything is within a fifteen minute walk. The Blue Tang is the hotel you want for that relaxing Belizean getaway.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 27, 2008

July 22nd 2008

We arrived at the Blue Tang Inn in Beautiful San Pedro!

We made reservations for 3 nights - and only ended up staying one, only because we had to due to the Blue Tang's cancellation policies.

The following are the reasons we were not happy with the Blue Tang:
- The 2nd floor Ocean View Room - was not a really an ocean view as the view was blocked by trees.

- The interior was "rustic", but not in a "neat rustic" way - more like it needed some deep cleaning and remodeling, the shower had green mold - and the furniture was a little beat up.

- My biggest problem was with the GREEN pool! The front desk lady had told us that the electric pump had not been working.

When I confronted the American owner (Dennis) about the color of the pool, he refused to think that their was anything wrong with the green pool. He seemed more interested in getting to his day of sailing with his buddy's than dealing with the problems at hand. He said that he could'nt do any thing about it, and sarcastically suggested that maybe he would "paint the bottom of the pool blue, to hide the green" - Great customer service!

Good Thing about the Blue Tang:
We did enjoy the fresh pineapple for breakfast, and the fact that
it forced us to find an awesome place just south of the Blue Tang, for the same price!

I would tell anyone looking into the Blue Tang to do some research, there are alot of great places around the area where you get alot more value for your money.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
17  Thank bagboy89
ivyMinneapolis, owner at Blue Tang Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2008

My family has had the pleasure of co-owning the Blue Tang Inn for several years. We love the Belizian Islands, and especially its people. We and our staff always wish to make your stay worthy of 5 stars. I am the owner that prompted the recent 1 star review. Again, I apologize to our guests (and our staff) for not satisfying their needs. It's a good thing for everyone that I am usually a guest in my Inn. Fanny and her staff at the Blue Tang are consistently 5 stars.

Reviewed July 12, 2008

We got married at the Blue Tang Inn a few weeks ago. The staff was amazing in the months leading up to the wedding and helped me plan the wedding of my dreams. They were also extremely helpful when it came to reserving rooms for my family to stay in.

When we arrived at the Blue Tang Inn we were greeted by a helpful staff, beautiful views, clean comfortable rooms, and a well kept lovely property.

Over the next week the staff was always available to help all 25 guests with any needs or questions. They kept the property spotless and rooms clean. Breakfast was served every morning with fresh juice, fruit, breads, waffles, and hot coffee. Through out the day the staff was available to assist our friends and family with restaurant suggestions, directions, arranging trips, massages, or calling a taxi.

On the day of the wedding, the staff created a beautiful beach oasis for the ceremony and decorated the pool area to create the perfect reception. Every staff member worked hard to make this special day perfect.

If you are looking for a romantic location for two, or a family retreat the Blue Tang Inn is perfect and my husband and I (along with many of our friends and family) can’t wait to go back!

Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed May 21, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Blue Tang Inn, May 10th -17th. I would say all the reviews you read here are right on. The front desk was always accommodating and friendly. The maintenance staff was constantly working on the grounds. Our roomed was cleaned daily. This is a very laid back place and it was easy to relax when you needed. We stayed in Suite #14 and its $35 less a night than an oceanfront room but basically you can see the Carribean Sea when you walk out your door. You can't see it from inside your room but that didn't bother us. I would save those $ for something else. Also, our room was close to the highlight of the property - the third floor sundeck. I had a few Belikins up there, especially at night after it cooled off.
The question you should ask yourself when deciding on a place in Ambergris Caye, Is what kind of experience do you want? We were looking for a more cultural experience and thought it would be best to stay closer to San Pedro. We rented a golf cart and explored some resorts up north of San Pedro. My conclusion is this is too far from town where most of the shops and restaurants are. The road is horrible going north and you can't walk due to the distance. Going south of of San Pedro could be an option for some as its within walking distance of town ( 15 minutes ), yet it gets you away from the hustle and bustle of San Pedro. We looked at Xanadu and Victoria House and these looked very nice and would fit the bill I described above.
We did not want an all inclusive as we wanted to experience as many different restaurants as possible. I don't believe there are any all inclusive resorts on Ambergris Caye. We ate seafood or Mexican everyday and it was outstanding. The best places are Elvi's and Caliente's but I can't say I had a bad meal. I think we spent less on food and drink than we would have spent on the surcharge that all inclusives charge on a daily basis and I drank a lot. The Blue Tang Inn does not have a restaurant on site but Wet Willy's is right on the end of the pier and I spent quite a bit of time there. I enjoyed sauntering down there barefoot to get a beer and lunch. The food here is quite good too. This is a good place to chat with the owners of the bar and San Pedro locals ( these guys know their NBA basketball ). They also have karoake and ladies night plus the radio is tuned to blues channnel on Sirius satellite radio during the day.
We did the Manatee snorkel, which was set up by the Blue Tang Inn and this was awesome. My only complaint is that you expect solicitation ( jewelry, music, etc, ) while walking the beach, but there was quite a bit of solicitation while we were relaxing by the pool. I wish the Blue Tang had a no solicitation sign posted. But hey I wanted the cultural experience so It didn't bother me that much. And watch out for the Journey's End Resort all over town. They have little stands on the beach and around town. They want to sell time shares and are aggressive. By the end of the week we avoided them and will never stay there.
All in all a great week.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank GilbertMilwaukee_WI
Reviewed May 17, 2008

We stayed here for 4 days on the second half of our package through Windy Hill Resort in San Ignacio, Belize. After our 17 minute flight from the mainland on TropicAir, we were immediately taken to the Blue Tang which sits right on the beach with very close proximity to the shops, restaurants and other facilities of San Pedro town.

Allan (assistant desk manager) and Fanny (manager) and all of the staff were very helpful and accomodating to all of our needs.

We stayed in Suite #5 (second level, front oveanview room) and had a full kitchen and dining area, and a futon in addition to our sleeping area (with two dressers and small closet area with shelves) and full bathroom. There was some noise at night because Blue Tang sits right on an access road to the beach, so take ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.

Although the weather was hot while we were here (in the high eighties), there was a nice breeze at all times. We had windows on 3 sides of our suite and never had to use the air conditioning during our stay.

There are two grocery stores immediately behind the Blue Tang which make it easy to stock up if you wish to prepare meals in your room. There is a continental breakfast provided by the hotel every morning (tea, coffee, fruit and another selection which varies like cinnamon bread, waffles, etc.). There is no restaurant on-site at the Blue Tang, but Wet Willies is out on the pier directly in front of the hotel (they open at 11 a.m.) There are a few restaurants down the beach that open early (6 or 7 a.m.) if you want breakfast.

There are many other restaurants in the town and also street stalls selling BBQ chicken, tamales, papusas, etc. We ate alot of our meals from these stalls without any problems. This is certainly the way to eat if you are on a budget. We could usually get a meal for both of us for under $20 Belizean which is $10 U.S. We would highly recommend Dandi's frozen custard which is a delicious alternative to ice cream. They are located down the street and on the other side from the police station and the fire station. Their custard and sorbets are made on-site, fresh daily from local fruits.

On the island, taxis are the only vehicles other than golf carts which can be rented through the front desk at Blue Tang as well as other locations in town. We rented one for 4 hours ($35 U.S.) which allowed us to cover most of the island, in addition to getting to PepperOni's for pizza (fabulous) which is south of the airport across from Exotic Caye resort.

We did the snorkelling package out to Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark & Ray Alley - it was included with our package and our guide/boat captain, Frank from Searious was excellent. We enjoyed swimming and interacting with the docile nurse sharks and stingrays. We were privileged to see a turtle, a reef shark and an eagle ray while snorkelling at the first site at Hol Chan.

We took the water taxi ($15 US. each return) over to Caye Caulker for a day and enjoyed the even more laid back nature of this island. The ride is about 30 minutes.Our burritos at Rasta Pasta were delicious and so huge that one feeds two people.

Ambergris Caye is very casual and there is no need here for dressy clothes, jewellery, high heels, or even make-up if you don't wish to bother. We found everyone that we met to be very friendly and helpful and look forward to returning to Belize mainland and the cayes.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LeeBSarnia_ON_Canada
Reviewed April 19, 2008

My wife & I stayed @ the Blue Tang hotel for 10 days in February. What a great place. Each room has a kitchen. Room was clean. The staff were all helpful & very friendly from the groundskeeper ,Pablo to Allen in the fromt office. Allen helped us with our plans for our mainland stay also. Continental breakfast was included, fresh fruit & pastries. The hotel is right on the beach with beautiful gardens. The pool was perfect for floating on a raft & relaxing. Easy walking distance to downtowm San Pedro and in front of Wet Wiiley's bar. We are going back next year. Terry

Stayed: February 2008